PDA

View Full Version : Looking for programmable scale with relay output

David Warkentin
01-02-2014, 3:19 PM
I am looking for a scale with output to turn motor on and off. The motor will be on an auger that will move product which dumps into hopper on scale. When scale gets to weight I program it will shut motor off. I have read about load cells and arduino etc but would like something ready made, if affordable.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-02-2014, 4:21 PM
Like a gun powder trickler?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

David Warkentin
01-02-2014, 5:00 PM
Yes maybe that idea. But I need to be able to pour 10 lbs of coffee beans in top and drop a lb or whatever I program into a hopper.

Michael Weber
01-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Mettler Toledo sells a variety of bench scales for weighing and counting. Won't be cheap and you will likely need to add an option for a relay output. Used scales like this for years but don't know of any inexpensive consumer quality scales with outputs. If you want cheap, an inexpensive balance beam could be used with a reed switch to operate a relay when the beam rose when the weight equaled the scale setting. Be simple to change set point you wanted simply by sliding the counter weight to a new position. Sorry about this off the wall suggestion, I spent my career looking for cheap ways to accomplish processes.

David Warkentin
01-04-2014, 7:00 PM
This is more less what I'd planned to do. I was going to have beam push up on momentary switch though. Then I thought about using the electronic one. I roast and sell coffee and will be using this to fill individual bags. Think I will build it out of birch ply and cut it out on cnc. Should be a fun project, I just need to figure out how long to make beam to make it work good, etc. Any info out there on this?