PDA

View Full Version : Corel/Windows Question

Bob Kline
01-02-2014, 1:07 PM
i currently run CorelDRAW 12 on a laptop running Windows XP to engrave on my Epilog Mini 24. I’d like to upgrade to a new laptop running Windows 8 and I worry about compatibility with my current Corel files. Does anyone know if my Corel files will work with Windows 8? If they don’t work, what version of Corel will I need to use with Windows 8?
Thanks

Gary Hair
01-02-2014, 1:32 PM
I started lasering with X3 so I can't say for sure about 12, but the files should work fine on X6. The bigger question would be does your Epilog have drivers that work on Win8 and are they 32 bit or 64 bit? If you have the option of 64 bit then I'd highly suggest Win8 and Corel X6, both 64 bit - you'll be amazed at the speed difference! Oh, and if you want to run Win8 then I can guarantee you that the existing laptop running XP isn't going to cut it... unless it's a new laptop that you installed XP for some reason.

Michael Gonzales
01-02-2014, 3:27 PM
i currently run CorelDRAW 12 on a laptop running Windows XP to engrave on my Epilog Mini 24. I’d like to upgrade to a new laptop running Windows 8 and I worry about compatibility with my current Corel files. Does anyone know if my Corel files will work with Windows 8? If they don’t work, what version of Corel will I need to use with Windows 8?
Thanks

The real problem with what ya got there is that the driver for the engraver is a 32 bit and that is why you use the XP which is 32 bit. Your engraver is a maybe 2003... 2004 or older? Me too. I have a 2003. I went ahead and change my OS to a 32 bit and Corel makes an x5 and x6 to work on 32 or 64 bit. You can get a Windows 8 but to operate the engraver in a 32 bit os if you install the XP Mode.That takes you back to a 32 bit os as a virtual machine. Epilog can help ya install it. I don't know if 12 will be able to be opened up in x6.

Hope that helps

Mike g

Alan Caro
01-02-2014, 5:13 PM
Thanks

Bob Kline,

My impression is that Corel 12 on Windows 8 will be problematic. I've used Corel Graphic Suites since V3 in 1993. I'm now using Technical Designer X-5 because V12 had serious problems running on Windows 7 > for example PhotoPaint *.JPGs would only open one at a time. I contacted Corel about this problem and their reply was that with the introduction of Windows 7, Corel would no longer support V12- you had to have X4 or newer. Apparently Vista would still run it properly. There were a number of applications that stopped working or working well with Win 7 > there were noises that very far-backwards compatibility was sacrificing performance in the later OS. Interestingly, the more expensive the software, the farther it seems to reach. I have AutoCad R14 from 1998 and it runs beautifully on both a 1998 Dell XPS T700R 750MHz with XP Pro and my 2013 HP Z420 3.8GHz with Win 7 Ultimate 64. I had the choice of Windows 7 or 8 and I instantly opted for Win 7. I see reports constantly of older- and not that much older- software and device drivers that Win8 will not handle and the goofy "Metro" tile interface is really annoying- "fuzzy bear" stuff not for grownups. Not that I pretend to be an adult, but my computer can!

You can run an XP virtual machine within Win 8, but I would say it's better to configure a dual boot configuration so when starting, you can choose to run in native XP or Win 8. I had a virtual XP machine when running Vista and it was extremely slow to initialize and performance was very poor. I've considered a dual boot two incarnations of Win7 with one loading the drivers for a Quadro 4000 graphics card and the other will boot to run a GeForce GTX 770.

A 64-bit OS will run 32-bit applications and all of us with a 64-bit OS > XP, Vista, 7, or 8 are doing exactly that > there are relatively few native 64-bit applications. Of course, the converse does not work- 64-bit applications will not work on a 32-bit OS.

Having started with DOS 6 /Windows 3.1 in 1993 and today with Win 7 Ultimate 64, the worst OS was Windows 95 (Registry Disasters Inc.) and by far the best > XP Pro 64, small and ultra-reliable.

Alan Caro

HP z420 (2013) > Xeon E5-1620 quad core @ 3.6 / 3.8GHz > 24GB ECC 1600 RAM > Quadro 4000 (2GB)> Samsung 840 SSD 250GB /Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 24/192 sound card > AE3000 USB WiFi //> HP 2711x 27" 1920 x 1080 // Windows 7 Ultimate 64 > Autodesk Building Design Suite, Inventor Pro, Solidworks, Adobe CS MC, Corel Technical Design, Sketchup Pro, VRay, WordP Office, MS Office Pro+