PDA

View Full Version : 2 3/8 plane blade/chip breaker/ lever cap source

Clayton Lambert
01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Any suggestions on where to find said items without paying an arm and a leg? Just picked up a nice flat and square type 13 no. 6c for barely any $ Because it was missing the irons and cap.

As it is a user I'm not dead set on getting type 13 parts, nor am I interested in paying 75.00+ for hock blade/breaker set plus whatever else for the cap, when you can buy a no 6 in good condition for around that.

Should I just be patient and lurk on ebay?

David Weaver
01-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Lurk on ebay. Someone may pop up on here and volunteer an extra one for you. If I had one, I would, but I ended up putting them in planes I sold off a long time ago when I realized I didn't want to have a million bench planes.

Your other option is to check with the dealers who sell bench planes. they may have an iron and cap iron from a plane that turned out to be defective. I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $15 for such a pair where the cap iron was in good shape and there was plenty of iron left, especially given you can sometimes find entire planes with a little used iron and cap iron for that much.

Jim Belair
01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
You should have more luck finding a 2 3/8" iron assembly and lever cap from the old tool dealers than I did finding the odd ball 2 1/4" iron for my Miller's Falls 15 (#5 size). I got a lever cap from Walt at Brass City for a #4 a while back and I'm sure most of them have a parts stash (as do many of the posters here).

I just use a 2" iron in my MF 15 (with 2 1/4 cap iron) and it works OK.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Looks like Stanley parts still has the lever cap:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number6usa.html

They used to carry blades for these but it looks like that may no longer be the case.

It used to be many of the hardware stores stocked 2" and 2-3/8" blades. You might find one in old stock. They often came with the chip breaker.

Otherwise it is like David said, "Lurk on ebay."

Do a search and save it so you get emails everyday. You may find one cheap on a Buy It Now.

My type 4 #6 cost me only $10 missing its blade and caps.

jtk

David Weaver
01-02-2014, 1:00 PM
Gotta love Stanley's pricing strategy. 2 3/8" iron is under $16. Cap iron is $2.50. The pair together is a little over $25.

The new manufacture iron and cap iron is available on amazon for $25 shipped. I don't love their new stuff, but there is nothing about it that will prevent you from doing work.

The prices the tool choppers want for vintage irons and cap irons on ebay are appalling. Might as well hunt broken plane auctions instead and try to find a cracked up plane with good wood and a good iron and cap iron. Might come out ahead just reselling the wood.

steven c newman
01-02-2014, 1:31 PM
Lurk on FeeBay but... look at nhplaneparts.com while on feebay. Usually free shipping, and fast, too. Eric might just have what you want, if not, he WILL find one for you.

Rich Harkrader
01-02-2014, 2:39 PM
I've had good luck using the Woodriver irons with old Stanley's.
http://m.woodcraft.com/Product/2021170/37355/WoodRiver-V3-Replacement-Blade-for-No-6--No-7-Bench-Plane.aspx

Clayton Lambert
01-02-2014, 7:18 PM
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the responses. Im amazed to see that the market is such that one is likely to get the best deal by buying a junkier version of the same plane and parting it out than just buying a parted out blade assembly and lever cap... Though economics have never been my strong suit :p

lowell holmes
01-02-2014, 7:40 PM
Lee Valley has the irons and caps, I like them so much I bought them for three planes. They will make old planes sing.

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Lee Valley has the irons and caps, I like them so much I bought them for three planes. They will make old planes sing.

+1 Lowell. I really like the LV iron & chipbreaker.

Adam Cruea
01-03-2014, 8:13 AM
If you're wanting the stock iron/blade, drop me a PM and I can send you one. I've got 4 or 5 of them.