PDA

View Full Version : New Auger bit file

David M Anderson
01-02-2014, 7:51 AM
Well after acquiring some braces for cleanup and use, I now turned to get some bits.

After a few weeks of looking found what may be a ok deal on 21 bits. I do know some will not be any good,
but from the photos at least half look real good. Sharpening the good ones is really a no brain er, but now needed a file.

Nicholson is no longer being made, they seem to the one of choice..:(
LN has one from India, under 10 dollars...
Lee Valley has one from Italy for under 14 dollars...

After reading some reviews I proceeded to the check out at Lie Neilson..a whopping 10.50 shipping charge...?:eek:

I tried the Bay one more time...they did have a brand new Nicholson newly listed for under 10 dollars with shipping slightly over 6.
Well I pulled the trigger on that one....:)
After the buy, went back to gloat...lol...wrong , fine print see photo #4 for casting defect...:eek:

Here is photo #4

Listing says despite the flaw many fine years left on the file...?

David Weaver
01-02-2014, 8:19 AM
It's ugly looking, but I can't think of anything about it that would prevent you from using it. The other end is more important, anyway, generally, and it looks like the far side of that end is crisp and clean. Use it until it's worn out.

TFWW also has auger bit files. It might be worth checking their shipping.

Next time you see something like that for LN, give them a call. I think they had some revised shipping prices for very small orders (like irons, etc) due to complaints from customers.

Hilton Ralphs
01-02-2014, 8:27 AM
After the buy, went back to gloat...lol...wrong , fine print see photo #4 for casting defect...:eek:

That is shocking to say the least. Many years left of using it to dig for Easter Eggs.

I bought two from Amazon last year some time and they seem to be fine. Nothing like your though.

Eish!

glenn bradley
01-02-2014, 9:13 AM
I'm with David. I have some of those files, Nicholson and others. I see no problem with the defect area other than that it exists, In use it would not bother me although I would probably grind it smooth so as not to leave an errant groove if I did happen to start a stroke that far out on the tip.

Cody Cantrell
01-02-2014, 9:33 AM
I have been happy with the one Lee Valley sells and they have free shipping right now anyway.
Cody

Eric Brown
01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Most of the old auger bit files were shaped a little more ergonomic than the ones made today. Think blister if you do a lot of sharpening with a new one. If you get a new one take some sandpaper and round off the edges where you hold it. The one from TFWW is already shaped this way and worth the little extra. I did see some old Nicholson's in a box on e-bay, but they were asking $195.00 for them.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2014, 1:05 PM
I usually have a wine cork over that end of my auger files.

"Stick a cork on it" just doesn't sound as good as the other phrase with just one letter different.

jtk

David M Anderson
01-02-2014, 1:59 PM
Lol....thanks Jim...think I have one from New Years...:)