PDA

View Full Version : Delta Jetlock owners......

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2014, 4:55 PM
A friend gave me a NOS Unisaw with rails but no fence, so I looked around and found a NOS Jetlock. Was not happy with it, but all my other saws have Biesies. Today I wanted to work in the basement on some drawers for the new house, and something had to be done with the fence.

I thought it was bent, so I disasembled it to see what I could do to make it better. It was wider at both ends than the middle. On each end there is a U shaped section with no support on the bottom, about 6" on the infeed side, and about 4" on the outfeed side. I could see when I looked at the head casting that the rail did not fit the casting at the bottom, appeared to be spread, which was confusing as I see no way for that to happen, but it had to be dealt with anyway. So I put the rail ends in the vise and squeezed them in a liitle less than the castings that they slip on to on either end. Slipped it back together and it looked good so I bolted the rail back on. Now that it was bolted it was back out at the bottom again, so I took it back apart.

The head casting and not quite as much the outfeed lock casting needed some file work. At the top of each part at the point where the inside radius at the top of the rail meets the casting, the radius on the casting was not as large as the radius on the rail. when bolted down this was pushing the sides of the rail outwards at the bottom. Filing both casting at this point till the radius was larger than the rail allowed the rail to be bolted on without spreading.

Note: On the outfeed lock end when you remove it there is a loose pin that can fall out of place when disassembled. Mine fell out when I was working on it, next time I'll put a piece of tape on it, half hour looking for a part I did not know what it looked like.

The fence is now straight and true, cuts as well as a Jetlock can.

Larry

johnny means
01-01-2014, 8:04 PM
I never understood the animous toward the Jetlock fence. All the ones I've ever used worked just as well as anything else out there. Granted, I never was the one who had to set it up, so I don't know if that step is particularly problematic. Exactly what are the problems with these fences?