PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!!! That's gonna leave a mark

Brian Brown
01-01-2014, 1:04 AM
Last October I bought a Sorby swan neck hollowing tool. I finally got a chance to use it today. I had a vase I started a couple of years ago, and couldn't finish because I didn't have a hollowing tool long enough to reach the bottom. I have read that there is a learning curve for this tool. I thought I would try the new tool on this vase, because I didn't really care is it was ruined. I really like the tool. It works better than others I have tried. THe vase quickly went from trash can liner to something I really was looking forward to finishing. Long ago, I learned to stay out of the line of fire at my lathe. I was sanding the inside of the vase with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel, and standing at the end of the ways, working with the dowel inside the vase. Somehow the sander caught on something and yanked the dowel out of my hand. The handle started spinning in a large arc, and hit me dead on in the sternum. I wasn't sure I would ever breathe again. No blood, but there is going to be a real bruise tomorrow. The worst part is, it destroyed the vase. It is still in one piece but there are two really nasty cracks. Pics attached. Moral of the story, injuries don't come just from standing in the line of fire.

Dennis Nagle
01-01-2014, 5:42 AM
Thats a drag Brian. It has very nice lines. Glad you are OK.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2014, 9:56 AM
Looks like you can save that if you choose.

Hope you can breathe better today! Happy to hear it wasn't worse!

Marc Himes
01-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Sanding inside of vases is a problem for me. Your piece does have some nice lines and perhaps could be salvaged like Steve said. Accidents can happen so quidkly with turning. I am glad you are not seriously injured.

Dan Hintz
01-01-2014, 10:53 AM
The worst part is, it destroyed the vase.

I don't agree with that assessment... I like it, almost like a design feature. If it really bugs you, fill it with something like turquoise.

Paul Williams
01-01-2014, 12:00 PM
That is one I would finish and keep. It looks good with the broken section, and would be a reminder to be careful.

Reed Gray
01-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Well, that could be glued back together. I have used sand paper on a stick many times, and haven't had a catch yet. Sanding at slow speeds does seem to cut better. By slow, I mean 100 rpm or less. That would also lessen impact. You can hook up abrasives to some of the hollowing tools as well.

robo hippy

Eric Gourieux
01-01-2014, 2:08 PM
It's a bummer to survive the hollowing process and get a catch while sanding. I agree that it is salvageable and worth it, too! You could try some "bow tie" bandaids (or whatever they are called).

Richard Coers
01-01-2014, 8:02 PM
I'd wager a bet the dowel got into that natural edge gap. Firewood in my book, when considering all the cracks in the wood from drying. I don't care to return pieces that have drying cracks in them as a safety concern. But really don't like them astecically. I've never seen ceramic, or art glass artists display cracked work, I don't either. Really glad you weren't hurt worse. Pay attention to the site in case of blood clots from a strike like that.

robert baccus
01-01-2014, 8:27 PM
The same stick jumped up and thrashed me. Luckily it hit me in the head. Buy longer sticks.

Chip Sutherland
01-01-2014, 9:49 PM
First you can save that piece. try using some leather or copper wire lacing across the cracks. Stabilize the cracks with glue from the inside and catch any bleedthru. I have also used a biscuit joiner and milled contrasting wood for the 1/8" slot;however, I dont think your piece could handle it

Second, I sand insides with a 3' long 3/8" dowel rod with a wooden ball glued to the end. The ball has a flat spot where I use 2-sided tape to hold a small piece of sand paper. Like Reed, I sand at low speed and vary the pressure by varying the bow in the rod. I learned this at SWAT last year from Alan Trout. So simple that i dont mind sanding insides too 400 any more..

john taliaferro
01-02-2014, 9:01 AM
Oooooo , glad your ok .