PDA

View Full Version : Is the Only Advantage to a J/P Combo Space Savings?

Mike Shields
12-31-2013, 5:11 PM
Just as the title suggests, is the only reason to buy a jointer/planer combo the space saving of one machine vice two?

Is there a combo machine out there that has significant quality over two seperate pieces?

Just trying to get all the info I need for a new jointer and planer. (yes, I have the space)

Thanks,

Mike

Edit:
Wow, this topic seems to have created quite an interest.

Here is something that has me perplexed; the cost of a combo machine that is utilizing so many common components. As and example: a 16" J/P combo from a reputable company costs approx $5200. From that same company, a 16" jointer costs approx $4300, and a planer is the same at $4300.

I'm sorry, but for a combo unit that shares: motor, cutter head, cabinet, and dust collection, I just don't see the value.

In this example, if you can spend $5k plus on a combo, then why not spend $3600 more and have dedicated machines?

My intention is not to argue, but I'm trying to get my head around the whole combo concept.

Happy New Years everyone!

Prashun Patel
12-31-2013, 5:16 PM
If you get a helical cutter head for it, then you get the benefit for both operations. If you have separate machines, outfitting both with helicals could be cost-prohibitive.

LMK which machines you're considering. I'm in the same boat, wondering if I should pull the trigger on one.

michael flay
12-31-2013, 6:04 PM
You get equal jointing and planning abilities, I have a Casadei 12"JP combo and have never looked back when I upgraded from a 8" GI jointer and a 15" GI Planer both had helical heads.

Chris Merriam
12-31-2013, 6:08 PM
I'm in the same boat too, not that I have the money for it now, but I have plenty of space and have been trying to figure out whether to get a combo like the Hammer A31-10 or stay with separates. Maybe keep my 13in lunchbox planer too just in case. From the planer side, I always assumed the larger 15+ inch units would give a superior cut vs my lunchbox (assuming the same blade type), but based on my reading here it seems they can be finicky to dial in and may cut worse?

Erik Loza
12-31-2013, 6:29 PM
....is the only reason to buy a jointer/planer combo the space saving of one machine vice two? Is there a combo machine out there that has significant quality over two seperate pieces?...

That's one good reason but the other is getting two tools for the price of one. For example, it would probably cost you twice or three times as much to get, say, a 12" jointer with a Tersa head and then a 12" planer with a Tersa head. So, there is an economic benefit to it.

The trade-off is that J/P's typically require bed extensions to equal what you might get with a stand-alone jointer and J/P's are typically not as massive and powerful as stand-alone planers. But, those may not be issues for you in the real world of home woodworking. If the number of customers who talk to me about jointer-planers is any indication, it would not appear to be. I will tell you that any of the European-manufactured J/P's will be a quantum leap forward if you are used to benchtop or contractor-level units. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Chris Fournier
12-31-2013, 6:39 PM
I had a Minimax FS 35 and I got it for the following reasons:

I could at the time buy one machine of this quality but I needed to machines so the J/P met my budget.
The J/P really does save space and there will always be another use for space not gobbled up by this machine.
Small shops rarely tax their machinery as far as work load goes. One motor, cutterhead, and drive train is one less of everythingto maintain, more money saved, fewer consumables to inventory.

The J/P above was a great machine for me and I replaced the FS with a larger combo fro Minimax, another terrific piece of equipment that gives my small shop large capacity.

Julie Moriarty
12-31-2013, 6:46 PM
If you're doing a glue up of a couple of boards and the boards glued up exceed 12", you can't plane them once glued up. To me, that's the only drawback of going combo. If you only need an 8" jointer and can get along with a 12" planer, you need a 12" combo. There have been many times I wished my planer could handle more than a 12" wide board. I think Steel City makes a 13" helical head planer for under $500. But an 8" helical head jointer will set you back about $2K. All this has kept me on the fence for a while.

Erik Loza
12-31-2013, 6:50 PM
FYI that combined jointer/planers are manufactured in widths up to 20" and that 16" is a very common size.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Craig Behnke
12-31-2013, 6:57 PM
I will tell you that any of the European-manufactured J/P's will be a quantum leap forward if you are used to benchtop or contractor-level units

yeah, what Erik says, he knows of what he speaks.

Caveat: I'm just a hobby user and I would rather spend time woodworking rather than setting up, dialing in, and tweaking inexpensive and lower quality tools. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I know certain people can make heirloom quality furniture with very basic tools. I'm just not that guy and I know it.

I used a lunchbox planer for 3 years and then visited a friend with a Mini Max FS41 J/P Combo which he demonstrated for me. I walked out of there mumbling incoherently about getting a second job to buy new tools. I was blown away by the difference in quality, heft, engineering, ease of use, etc. etc. WOW! It was like going from a horse drawn cart to flying first class in a Boeing 787. it's that big of a difference.

The top european machines are fantastically engineered, well thought out/purpose built for their task, built to last a lifetime, and are made from top quality materials assembled with a superior fit and finish. It's not just superficial stuff, you have to see it first hand to experience it.

William C Rogers
12-31-2013, 7:30 PM
I bought a used Mini Max FS35 and I am very happy with it. I have a large shop, but always nice to have the extra space. I don't think you will see a difference in cut quality if the same blade type is compared. The second advantage to me is the added power found in the combos. The larger machines just don't ever bog down and you can remove quite a bit of material quickly. There is a change over that varies from machine to machine. Mine I need to lift the jointer table up to plane. I think most of the newer models have a better change over. I did keep my DeWalt 735 and find it helpful when just need to plane one board. It is more difficult to plane boards to a thickness on a combo (older machine) vs lunchbox planer, however I always run the boards through my drum sander to get a final desired thickness. For machines this size it makes more sense to me for a J/P combo vs two machines with that capability.

jack forsberg
12-31-2013, 7:54 PM
have not yet seen any disadvantage to my Wadkin 26" jointer on top of a 24" planer. ya that's a titling in feed pattern maker table for planing drift and the head takes molding knifes too. At 3750 lbs it don't tip over or brake. lots of machine there in a small foot print.

Erik Loza
12-31-2013, 7:58 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kumm
12-31-2013, 8:24 PM
The advantage if you are measuring apples to apples is cost and floor space. You can buy separates of equal quality to any level of combo. New or used you need to decide if the convenience of separates is worth extra expense. Dave

Rich Riddle
12-31-2013, 9:08 PM
I bought a used Mini Max FS35 and I am very happy with it. The second advantage to me is the added power found in the combos. The larger machines just don't ever bog down and you can remove quite a bit of material quickly.

Seems like there are a few of us in this thread who own the Mini Max FS35. It's a world of difference in cut quality and quality of the tool. I could not have allocated the funds needed for two such high quality tools.

johnny means
12-31-2013, 9:44 PM

Wow! I thought my 20 incher was a beast.

Don Welch
01-01-2014, 10:46 AM
We found the J/P combo route to be both a space and cost efficient approach. The key is in matching the robustness of the machine for your tasks. I'd been looking at the Hammer A41 after deciding on a 16 inch capacity, then spoke w/ Erik on the Minimax machines. His support in providing decision making answers on difference between the machines in the Minimax line was excellent , functionally application based and helped us assess the Minimax J/Ps and competing models. We ended up with a FS41 Elite and have been extremely pleased with it; the deltas in stepping up to this model in the head design, bed length and certainly the sturdier fence were well worth it. The Tersa head has performed very well; it's given us no reason to question would a helical insert have been a better path, something I was debating on the Hammer machines.

John TenEyck
01-01-2014, 11:01 AM
If you have the space you will appreciate two separate machines. Change over time is zero, which no combo machine can match. I started with a combo machine, then later bought a planer/molder. I now leave the combo machine setup as a jointer. Having a wide jointer is highly desirable to me; mine's 10" and I'd get a 12" or wider if I could find a good used one. Spending whatever on a 16" combo machine costs is just a dream to a hobbiest like me. I'm sure I can find a used 12" jointer and 15" or 20" planer for less than than half the cost. If money was no object, I'd definitely buy two machines, even if they cost more, for the convenience. To me, the only argument that pushes someone to a combo machine is a combination of space and cost.

John

Erik Loza
01-01-2014, 11:13 AM
I will tell you that demographically speaking, probably 75% of my jointer/planers end up in garages as opposed to larger-than-garage shops. So, it would seem that the space savings is a huge factor.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Chris Fournier
01-01-2014, 11:58 AM
I realised that I had the following photos of my departed FS35. I had a job matching up maple flooring in a gentrified warehouse project, all told I machined up close to 600 square feet of T & G flooring. I had a small power feeder and scrounged up some structural steel to mount the feeder. The Chassis of the FS35 was very robust where I placed the feeder mount because of the way
the sheet metal pieces came together. This little tweak really helped make tedious work on the J/P flow along nicely. Simple metal fabrication can be a great asset for a woodworker.

This little machine had a big heart! I really made a lot of use out of the slot mortising attachment that MM sold for the machine, floating tenons galore. This machine paid for itself in no time and the depreciation in value when I sold it was minimal.

Darcy Forman
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I also have the FS41 elite with mortise table. The main reason I got the machine was for the space savings no question. My shop is a single bay of a three car garage so space is a premium. In that space I get three machines in the foot print of one. In fact I use the mortise table so often I leave it mounted on the J/P all the time and work around it. For me this isn't a problem, some don't like to work over the mounted mortise table. I love the 16" jointing and planning width. Mine has the tersa four knife head and I love it. Mind you I have never used a helical cutter head machine, so I don't know if i am missing anything or not.
I bought my machine used from a hobby wood worker in Ontario and had it shipped to Alberta. It was four years old and very nice shape. I was very pleased with the purchase. It is probably overkill as I am just a hobby woodworker, but I am certian that I will never need to upgrade again in my life time. The only thing my machine could use is a Euro knife guard. Mine had the pork chop guard the didn't survive the previous owner.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I bought mine because it saved space but more importantly gave me a 12" jointer and a 12" planer with a helical head at an affordable price. If I had a do-over on an unlimited budget I might buy a 16" European machine instead but no regrets.

Mike Cutler
01-01-2014, 12:45 PM
have not yet seen any disadvantage to my Wadkin 26" jointer on top of a 24" planer. ya that's a titling in feed pattern maker table for planing drift and the head takes molding knifes too. At 3750 lbs it don't tip over or brake. lots of machine there in a small foot print.

Jack

I gotta get to Ottawa just to see all the cool machines you have. Maybe I'll take in a Hockey game too.
Your machines are just too cool!:cool:

Loren Woirhaye
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
I think if you really (really) have the space, get separates. While you're at it, if you want a lot of machine for your money, consider old iron.

If you are a pro however there is always some machine that will make your work go better and those machines go beyond the basic cutting and dimensioning things saws and planers do. Going with a combo can help keep space clear for something like an edgebander, construction drill or CNC (just to name a few). Also, if you don't have a slow speed slot mortiser, the ones that attach to many of the combos are pretty cool and can run much longer cutters than would be safe on a high speed router type mortiser.

jack forsberg
01-01-2014, 2:00 PM
Jack

I gotta get to Ottawa just to see all the cool machines you have. Maybe I'll take in a Hockey game too.
Your machines are just too cool!:cool:

any time love to give you a tour.

Bob Falk
01-01-2014, 9:04 PM
I have a Robland 12" J/P and while it has been a great machine as well as space saver, I must say it is a pain in some operations to have to switch back and forth between the jointer and planer.....I have had thoughts of leaving this machine set up as a 12" jointer and purchasing a dedicated planer.

Jim Foster
01-02-2014, 3:38 PM
Space saving and a wider jointer are the hot buttons for me. I have a Delta DJ20 from the early 90's and a much newer Powermatic 15" planer with the helical cutterhead and would like to trade both for a combination unit to free up some space

Rod Sheridan
01-02-2014, 9:07 PM
I have aHammer A3-31 and really like it.

Presently it's making flooring with a power feeder, because I'm lazy..........Rod

Jim Becker
01-03-2014, 9:51 AM
The trade-off is that J/P's typically require bed extensions to equal what you might get with a stand-alone jointer

I honestly haven't found this to be a limitation at all...it would be a rare moment when a project required jointing something "really long". I plan my work so that I'm doing final milling on components that are near-final size. The only time I have long stuff on my J/P combo is when I take a board from rough to not-rough after purchase or prior to marking up for a project.