PDA

View Full Version : Band saw tire glue?

Mike Cruz
12-31-2013, 4:49 PM
I bought those orange band saw tires (off Ebay, I think) a few years back. I was "told" they didn't need to be glued on, but the most certainly did. Anyway, the glue (I don't remember what I used) has worked itself loose.

What is the best glue to attach them? Epoxy? Contact cement? Paste and water? :D Ok, not paste and water, but not only do I need something to hold the tires in place, I REALLY don't feel like scraping off whatever I used before...

HANK METZ
12-31-2013, 6:14 PM
You'll have to scrape if you want a good bond. I used this 3M product (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCFXYY/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), one tube did both tires, ran it up to 4,000 sfm and it held.

Thomas Hotchkin
12-31-2013, 6:29 PM
Mike
Shellac. Check over at OWWM there has been some posts there about using 3m 5100 marine sealant for band saw tire repair it may work also as a glue for you but, then again you may never get them off next time. No on epoxy and contact cement. Tom

Sal Kurban
12-31-2013, 7:48 PM
I used contact cement on mine.
Sal.

Mike Cutler
01-01-2014, 8:31 AM
Mastica Gumma. It's a red adhesive for gluing bicycle tubular tires to their rims. Next would be Continental's tire cement for bicycle tires. It's a clear cement, easier to apply and remove than Mastica Gumma.
Their both basically super contact cements on steroids. You will never punish that bandsaw tire, or generate heat, the way I did a bicycle tire.
They're available through high end bicycle shops and online bicycle suppliers.

You will most definitely have to scrape off the old adhesive, or you'll have "hops" in the rotation which can induce vibration. Lacquer thinner, a green and some fine grit sandpaper will prep the surface for you. Done correctly, you'll probably never do it again with your current bandsaw.

Mike Cruz
01-01-2014, 9:43 AM
Thanks, everyone. I suppose I'll need to take the tire off, clean it and the wheel, and put on some of that weather sealer. I was looking for a quick and easy fix, but I guess I'll have to do it "right".

Phil Thien
01-01-2014, 9:43 AM
Urethane-based hair spray. Google it.

Mike Cruz
01-01-2014, 10:54 AM
OK, I Googled it. Now I know what will work best on my hair (what is left anyway). But it didn't say anything about band saw tires...

Andy Wojteczko
01-04-2014, 8:00 PM
I have used Goop with good success.

Andy

Phil Thien
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
OK, I Googled it. Now I know what will work best on my hair (what is left anyway). But it didn't say anything about band saw tires...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-191908.html

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-165490.html?

There is more out there.

Gus Dundon
01-07-2014, 2:50 PM
I don't know what's the difference of orange and blue urethane tires .I have blue urethane, no glue., no issues.

Mike Cruz
01-07-2014, 3:39 PM
Gus, I think blue is Carter. Orange is probably just another company. I have the orange ones on my BS now (it is an old 20" Delta 28-350). Not sure if my 20" is just too much saw for the orange ones or what.

When I took the orange upper tire off, I looked at the wheel and saw the residue from the glue I had used. I ordered the sealant glue that someone mentioned. And in the meantime, began trying to scrape off the old glue. With the wheel still on the BS, it is almost impossible. I looked a the old tire and concluded that it was toast. I may have overheated it once (or 10 times?). So, I chucked it. I thought, "I'm just going to buy a rubber one to replace it. When I put these orange ones on, I remember a few people saying "Do yourself a favor and get original rubber replacements" and I ought to do that." So, I went to the computer to order some. Well, I remember why I didn't get them the first go around! Most places want $200+ PER TIRE!!!! I did find a place that has them for $129. Still hateful, but less so. I was planning on ordering two (one upper/one lower) for when the lower one failed on me. But at this price, I decided to just get one. I'm going to take the upper wheel off (much easier IIRC than the lower wheel) scrape it clean, and put the new tire on. Not sure if the new tire is supposed to be glued or not. It actually has the tab running down the middle of the tire to fit the groove in my wheel. It might not "need" gluing. I'll find out.

lowell holmes
01-07-2014, 3:49 PM
I can't respond about all band saws, but there was no glue under the tires on my 14" Jet. The wheels are crowned and have raised edges.
That keeps the tires captive until they stretch.
I nuked the orange polyethylene tires to soften them and stretched them to get them on. They have been on for two years now and have given
no trouble.

Mike Cruz
01-07-2014, 3:58 PM
Lowell, I tried the no-glue route, but ended up "needing" to glue them down. Getting them on initially wasn't easy, so I know it was a stretching over time thing. I'd say they've been on my saw for at least two years if not three.

The wheels of my BS are not crowned. They are flat. So, I had to put a thin strip of the orange tires (you can order them) inside the groove in the tire. This creates a small ridge in the middle of the tire. Then, per advice, I took a thin strip of duct tape and put that over that thin strip of tire in the groove. Then the tire went over that. Seemed to work great...for a couple of years...

Howard Acheson
01-07-2014, 4:07 PM
>>>> but there was no glue under the tires on my 14" Jet.

In my over 40 years of woodworking, I have never glued tires on 14" wheels. I've had or used probably 12-15 bandsaws. As long as the correct length was ordered, adhesive was not required. There were at least a couple of saws that specifically said not to glue on the tires.