PDA

View Full Version : Turning large table legs

alex grams
12-31-2013, 2:28 PM
I have done a lot of bowls and some spindles for smaller legs, but I am working on a project that will be a table with 4 larger legs. They are 6" diameter at maximum, down to about 4.5" at their narrowest.

At what point do you guys go from a solid glue up for a spindle to a hollow, sectioned glue up? I have 8/4 stock, so if I made the glue up from that, it would leave about a 2"-2.5" diameter hollow center, and I would turn down to about 1" wall thickness in some places. Is the tradeoff of having face grain throughout the outside of the spindle worth the glue up effort?

And if I do a sectioned glue up, what do you guys use for a solid end cap for mounting on the lathe and also securing to the final table? My other issue is each end will be a 6" square foot/head block, so I would have to cut the sectional glue up square, which would be a pain.

Dennis Ford
12-31-2013, 8:07 PM
I have not turned any legs that large but would definitely use a glue up. I very much doubt that you could get 6" stock that was both dry and free of cracks. All face grain or all quarter-sawed would look nice to woodworkers; not sure if others would notice. A shouldered plug would make turning them simple, attachment to the table will take some design work.

Rob Price
12-31-2013, 8:41 PM
I did some 7" legs a year ago. After looking at all the gyrations I'd have to go through to get what I wanted I went solid with 16/4 stock glued up. It was pricey though.

Dave Cullen
01-01-2014, 10:31 AM
I'd be inclined to make a solid glue up. But you could make the top and foot solid while leaving a hollow center to save wood and weight.