PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knotty Pine verically and what nails to use?

Chad S Fisher
12-31-2013, 1:36 PM
Hello,

I am wanting to install 1x8x8ft Knotty Pine planks vertically. With a conventional 2x4 stud wall I was going to add a cross board 1/2 way up the stud so I could also nail in the middle of the plank as I install it. With being installed vertically on the wall at the bottom, middle, and top be enough to securely fasten with out potential warping?

Finally can someone recommend a reasonable priced finish nail gun and what nail or brad to use. I really do not want to see an exposed nail head.

I apologize for my ignorance but I am trying to learn as well.

Thanks in advance

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k503/mrtbolt64/2013-12-31_12-53-38_995.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/mrtbolt64/media/2013-12-31_12-53-38_995.jpg.html)

Sam Murdoch
12-31-2013, 2:24 PM
I would add 2 rows of horizontal nailers so that you would have 4 nailing points. The easiest and cleanest way to do that is to add some 1 x 4 strapping directly over the studs - top bottom and equally spaced up and down in between. An extra advantage to strapping is that it will allow for full insulation and wiring (if desired) between the studs. You can add nailers between the studs using 2x4 stock or 1x boards but that's lots more work.

As for wood movement, even a tongue and groove or ship lap pine will move throughout the seasons. If you aren't using a milled edge board (the photo doesn't quite show to my eye if those are T&G) you will inevitably see through the gaps between the boards - nothing to do to stop that. You can minimize but that's another thread. The boards with joinery edges will open too but the gap is hidden by the overlap.

Using T&G or ship lap also allows you to conceal your nails as the heads are covered by the joinery. Easy enough in that case to simply use #6 or # 8 finish nails driven in by hand. If you have the compressor and want to buy a nail gun a 16 gauge nailer will be fine. Senco, Bostich, Porter Cable, Rigid, Dewalt etc. are all OK versions. Some better than others but in the same price range there isn't much difference anymore. My old Sencos have been great. Try to buy a nailer that drives the greatest range of nail lengths and that will use nails that you can purchase locally. For one job as you describe though I would hand drive. If your boards are faced nailed - air driven or hand driven you will still see holes. Take care to apply the nail in a constant pattern and the holes can be a detail that does not detract from the look.

Von Bickley
12-31-2013, 2:36 PM
Chad,
Welcome to SMC.....

Purlin is the name of the cross/horizontal piece. Where I have seen vertical planks installed, they have used 2 rows of purlins.

On nail guns, I think Senco is probably one of the best, but it is probably the most expensive. I would look at the Porter-Cable or Hitachi, 15 gauge nail gun, and a 2" or 2.5" finish nail.

On installing the vertical planks, be sure that the one you start with is plumb, and check for plumb about every fifth or sixth plank.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-31-2013, 3:25 PM
Just my opinion on the nail guns based on a recent experiance. I have a pile of them, most are senco and I have had nothing but good luck with them. I needed a 15 gauge gun though, so I bought this one:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71vhL4loNyS._SL1500_.jpg
and I hate it. It doesn't have a magazine disconnect that stops dry fires, the clip holds exactly one stick of nails, so you have to run it dry to reload, and the fast release nose cap is necessary because it jams far more often than it should. It's the only Senco gun I've ever used that I didn't like. Grex or Hitachi will be replacing it at some point.

John A langley
12-31-2013, 4:30 PM
Ditto everything Sam said , I have that nail gun it works fine matter-of-fact I have two of them , i'd stay away from the Port cables .

Chad S Fisher
01-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys for the tips, it really helped. I added two rows of Purlins in for the T&G and have kept the nails hidden. I ended up with a Bostich 15ga angle nailer using two inch nails. First time user with a nail gun and I am quite impressed how it sinks them.

Many thanks!!!!

Rich Engelhardt
01-03-2014, 7:29 AM
Grex or Hitachi will be replacing it at some point.
The 15 ga Grex is not thought very highly of. Matter of fact, none of the Grex guns except the 23 ga get anything near good remarks. They are considered some of the worst you can buy.
I only found that out after I'd bought mine....

I ended up with a Bostitch 15ga angle nailer using two inch nails. First time user with a nail gun and I am quite impressed how it sinks them.

For future reference.....in case you weren't aware.
In a 15 ga nailer you have two different styles of fasteners.
The Bostitch (FN) and the Senco (DA).
They aren't 100% interchangeable. (DAMHIKT)

Steve Rozmiarek
01-03-2014, 10:43 AM
The 15 ga Grex is not thought very highly of. Matter of fact, none of the Grex guns except the 23 ga get anything near good remarks. They are considered some of the worst you can buy.
I only found that out after I'd bought mine....

For future reference.....in case you weren't aware.
In a 15 ga nailer you have two different styles of fasteners.
The Bostitch (FN) and the Senco (DA).
They aren't 100% interchangeable. (DAMHIKT)

Dang Rich, I love my little Grex pinner, wish the others were that good. Whats not to like with yours?

Rich Engelhardt
01-03-2014, 1:21 PM
Steve,
My 15 ga has been fine. Other than the initial mixup with FN and DA nails - the Grex uses DA and I bought 2.5" FN that are just a hair too long to fit.

If you read the reviews of all the other Grex guns, you're hard pressed to find anybody that has anything good to say about them.
I got mine on a Woodcraft closeout sale for half price - $199.00 marked down to $99.
I jumped all over the sale due to the Grex name, then later on decided to look and see what the reviews said....

I wasn't real happy about what I found.

Since I'd bought the gun to hang 7 solid core oak doors, I figured I'd see how it performed before I passed judgment.
It actually worked ok. It didn't drive the nails as deep as I felt it should have though & that was with using only 2" nails.

I'm glad I have a good (older oiled style) Porter Cable 16 ga. as a back up to it.

Ole Anderson
01-03-2014, 6:28 PM
Thanks guys for the tips, it really helped. I added two rows of Purlins in for the T&G and have kept the nails hidden. I ended up with a Bostich 15ga angle nailer using two inch nails. First time user with a nail gun and I am quite impressed how it sinks them.I have the same gun and am quite satisfied with it. I got the Bostitch 23 ga pinner for Christmas, so that rounds out my collection, so far, as I also have the 18 ga brad gun. Not that I couldn't use a crown stapler, or even a framing gun.

Peter Quinn
01-03-2014, 7:30 PM
Ditto everything Sam said , I have that nail gun it works fine matter-of-fact I have two of them , i'd stay away from the Port cables .

I have a few older porter cables, a 1 1/4" brad nailer, and a 15ga angled nailer, both have been bullet proof. Pull trigger, nails fire and sink, every time. Old bostich guns all seem to reach a cranky point where they start misfiring randomly if not very well oiled. Senco is a fine bet too IME, I don't know what PC's have become, mine are all over 10 yrs old.