PDA

View Full Version : Wedding and Christmas gift

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't post much, however; I do enjoy reading the mail. I want to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.

This was a Wedding gift for my Step-son and his wife that was delayed for quite some time (long story).

I started the project in March 2013 and completed it Dec 23, just in time for Christmas. This has been the most enjoyable project I have ever worked on.

The wood is Peruvian Walnut (purchased from a local mill). The Grandfather Clock stands 7 feet 4 inches tall, 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep. The finish was three coats of Satin WOP.

The plans and movement were purchased from Klockit. The plans were very detailed and any questions I had were handled by their Tech Support person, Chris. Chris was very knowledgable and helpful. If he didn't have the answer at hand, he would call back the same day with the answer or suggestion. Great support from Klockit.

The Goose Neck molding and the Fluted Columns seemed to be the biggest challenge at first, but turned out to be easy to make.

This project had a lot of flat work and some turning work, both of which I enjoy doing.

Strange, but when I look at the clock, I say to myself, WOW. My wife is saying WOW all the time. My Step-son and his wife were both in tears when they saw it Christmas Day and that got the wife and I started.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Gerald

Dave Zellers
12-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Wow!

Wow!

Wow!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I see many "Wow"s in your future and justifiably so!

Very nicely done Sir!

Bruce Page
12-31-2013, 1:19 PM
Another WOW!
Beautiful Grandfather Clock. Was the beveled glass supplied by Klockit?

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 1:30 PM
Thanks Bruce,

The bevel glass is from Klockit. I was going to purchase the glass locally, but prices were more than Klockit.

Gerald

Allen Grenz
12-31-2013, 1:37 PM
Very very nice..!! You should be quite proud of that work..

Al

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 1:38 PM
Thank you Ken.

This was a labor of love. It was great to be working in the shop again after a long hiatus.

Gerald

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 1:39 PM
Thank you Dave.

Tai Fu
12-31-2013, 2:13 PM
You know in the Chinese culture, there's a weird superstition against giving clocks as gifts. It seems in chinese the giving of clocks is the same word as giving someone his last rites, so it's actually offensive to a chinese to give him a clock as a gift... but however asking for a tiny amount of money (like one cent) dispells it.

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 4:11 PM
Yikes! I'll see them in a few hours and I'll be sure I get a buck from them. A penny sure doesn't go very far these days.

Thanks,
Gerald

Gerald McGrantham
12-31-2013, 4:25 PM
Thanks Allen,

I have made bookcases and cabinets and such in the distant past, but nothing like this. It is a nice feeling.

Boy, I'm baring my soul here.

Gerald