PDA

View Full Version : Hickory

Jim Baker
05-18-2003, 8:52 PM
Has anyone worked with hickory? How is it to work with?

I have several large hickory trees down in nearby pastures that I could have cut into lumber if it is a good wood to work with. They range in diameter from 12 inches up to around 20-24 inches.

Any information is appreciated.

Jim Becker
05-18-2003, 9:12 PM
Hickory is a very nice wood to work with, although it's hard...sharp carbide is necessary to mill it. It's also good for spindle turning and/or riving when it comes to chair parts. Over the past few years, I've noticed it being a featured cabinet wood in many of the home centers, too. Very interesting look.

Perhaps you can combine the harvesting of these trees with getting that nice cherry log milled. On-site would definitely pay off for that!

Ron Meadows
05-18-2003, 9:14 PM
I've worked with hickory on many occassions. I would say that it has got to be my very favorite wood.

Characteristics:

1. Hard as nails
2. Beautiful color and grain patterns
3. Machines well with occassional tearout where grain pattern
changes directions
4. Closed pore wood that sands and finishes smooth

Other tid bits:

1. Be prepared to replace jointer and planer knives after working with it (Did I mention that this is hard stuff?)
2. Get on a first name basis with the carbide sharpener of your choice (I have to get my Forrest blades sharpened after every kitchen I finish)

It's a wonderful wood that not many seem to use. If you want your stuff to stand out from the oaks and maples, then hickory is an excellent choice.

Ron

Lloyd Brown
05-18-2003, 9:18 PM
The wood is hard to mill acording to my sawyer, and there is a high wast factor due to spliting and warping. that is the bad news, the good news is it is beutiful with a natural oil and poly finish. Be warned the project will be HEAVY! my sawyer cuts most up for pallets, but I have him set some aside for me to purchase before he ruins it by cutting for pallets.

PS I pay less than $2 bf for it

Love the wood!!!:)

Rob Russell
05-18-2003, 9:57 PM
Back when the Pond was still full, I posted a similar question (I had an opportunity to get some hickory just for the sawing charges) . The info I got was similar to what's been posted. There was one other point, and that is that hickory really moves a LOT with humidity changes. I remember Jon Arno posting that a hickory panel in a raised panel door could go from being snug and tight during the summer to rattley loose during dry months. Just something to beware of - take movement into consideration during your designs.

I haven't worked with any hickory myself and can only pass on what I was told.

Rob

Barbara Gill
05-18-2003, 10:12 PM
I have sawn thousands of bd. ft. of hickory, made and installed over 1400 sq.ft. of hickory flooring finished to 1 1/2" thick hating every minute of working with it. Often the center of the logs are shaken. If there are any large knots, the wood will twist when drying. The wood seems to lack chatoyance. It is colorful because of the difference between the sap and heartwood. It is possible that VA hickory is different from the hickory in other locations. IMHO the three best things to do with hickory logs is to burn for heat, to cook with, or to make into lump charcoal. That is my jaundiced view of hickory.
:(

Jim Becker
05-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Barbara Gill
IIMHO the three best things to do with hickory logs is to burn for heat, to cook with, or to make into lump charcoal. That is my jaundiced view of hickory.

Tell us how you really feel, Barbara... :D

Barbara Gill
05-19-2003, 8:57 AM
:D

Lee Schierer
05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Hickory is a great wood as long as you want hard, really hard wood. Our entire bedroom suite is made of hickory. Here is the dresser for my wife.
http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/suedresser.jpg

It will sand glass smooth, but you will want to use carbide for any cutting you need to do. Steel blades and cutting edges dull quickly. It will also accept stain though tints tend to stay pretty light. My web site shows other hickory pieces I have made.

Added Note: Make sure your saw is well aligned and don't pause during a rip cut. Hickory will burn as easily as cherry and the marks are harder to sand out.

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 12:17 PM
I'll second that! If one must use it though, I agree with the above post-keep those tools sharp! If they're not VERY sharp it will be an exercise in frustration.
:(

Jim Baker
05-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the information.

I think I will have one of them cut up and see what I can make of it.

Ken Wright
05-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Barbara .... its a hard wood to work with BUT .... it makes wonderful BBQ ..... BBQ ain't BBQ unless it been cooked over hickory.

Barbara Gill
05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
It makes really great lump charcoal for cooking including BBQ.:D