PDA

View Full Version : Tall Maple Vaaaahhssee

Roger Chandler
12-30-2013, 8:34 PM

Well, I was searching for inspiration to take advantage of one of those rare days with a light schedule and available shop time.............went to the shop and saw this piece of maple that I have had for over 3 years and had been thinking that I wanted to do another tall vase out of that piece.........well, it did not take me long to put it between centers and proceed to turn a tenon on it!

Most of you probably remember me saying that I am fond of pedestal forms..........to me a well designed foundation just adds to most pieces........but that is my tastes, and not everyone is a fan of pedestal forms.

At any rate, I wanted to add some features..........cove, bead of sorts, and burn lines to accent the entire piece without making it be too much........I hit on 3 lines in strategic places.........I like them at least! ;):D

This is 11 inches tall and 5.25" wide. Walls are 3/16" thick except for the very bottom where it meets the pedestal........it is 1/4" thick there.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2013, 9:03 AM
On the base I just wanted to add some more visual interest with the burn lines. I easily could have made just the trumpet base, but wanted to try something just a little different.

My wife arranges flowers on a regular basis, and has folks come to her to make arrangements, wreaths and such..........she is also my best and worst critic, ;) and when she saw it, she gave it her nod of approval and said "that is pretty" so I guess it is a keeper!

Peter Blair
12-31-2013, 10:30 AM
I Like it Roger. Not particularly fond of bases but this fits and the bury make give it just the right amount of character.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I Like it Roger. Not particularly fond of bases but this fits and the bury make give it just the right amount of character.

Thanks Peter!

Eric Gourieux
12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
I agree that the embellishments to the base are a good addition to the basic trumpet shape. I like the burn lines, too.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2013, 1:27 PM
Thanks Eric.........here is a post on the AAW forum from a guy named Odie, that pretty much sums up what I was trying to do with this turning....

"Roger.......sometimes simplicity done masterfully, has a grace that complicated shapes cannot compete with. Yours is an example of this."

ooc

The burn lines, I thought were a simple, yet elegant embellishment to what I was attempting as a graceful yet functional form. I don't know that everyone who sees this piece will agree with Odie's assessment, but that was my intention when making it

steven carter
12-31-2013, 2:56 PM
A wise man builds on a good foundation. I think the base cold be a little larger, but still fine looking vase.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2013, 5:20 PM
A wise man builds on a good foundation. I think the base cold be a little larger, but still fine looking vase.

Thanks Steven! I had it bigger, but decided it needed less diameter.........so to be proportional to the vase body.......each turner has to look at form through their own lens [perspective] I thought this was about right.