PDA

View Full Version : Wirless Printing with Epilog Helix

William Milligan
12-30-2013, 6:40 PM
Hello all. I don't post a lot but have a question. I have a few desktops and laptops in the house. My Epilog is in a room which has a Desktop in it and I have always run the Epilog off of that system. I'd like to be able to print to it from other systems...I know I can just share the printer off of that system but what I'd like to do is to be able to print to it whether or not that particular system is powered up. To that end, I dug another router I had out of the closet. I had already upgraded the firmware with DD-WRT and wanted to set it up as a bridge for my wireless network. That was pretty straightforward and so I have a repeater-bridge in the room next to my Epilog. Next I connected the Epilog to one of the Ethernet connections on the repeater-bridge router and changed the IP address to match the IP scheme used on my network. Seems to work to this point. I am able to ping the Epilog from the other systems on the network. Where I am running into issues, though is in setting up and using the Epilog. I installed it as a local printer (creating a TCP/IP port for the epilog's IP address on the system) and installed the appropriate drivers. Pretty good to this point but nothing prints. I can see it going into the printer queue but it just sits there and then I get an error message stating that it could not print. So something is missing or misconfigured. I'm sure I am not the only one who has ever tried this. It SHOULD work but just doesn't....I've searched the archives but couldn't find anything.....Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Dee Gallo
12-30-2013, 10:59 PM
I have mine set up similarly. I don't know much about this techie stuff, but I can tell you that if you don't have the main computer ON, the wireless one will send but won't print.

William Milligan
12-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Dee. I may have to just continue to share the printer from the main computer but there has got to be a way to do it otherwise....I will have to do a bunch of testing...perhaps some ports are being blocked by default on my wireless router...in theory this should work....I may give Tech Support a quick email on it.

David Somers
12-31-2013, 11:59 AM
William,

Just a thought. On your main computer, do you need printer sharing turned on? If not, kill it. I have found in many cases that simply unsharing a printer is not enough to keep things from attempting to go through that unit to reach the printer. Especially if the function has been advertised across your network to other machines. Unsharing the printer by itself in Windows sometimes still leaves the idea that it is sharing in the other machines, causing jobs to be misdirected.

See if that helps!

Good luck William!

Craig Matheny
01-03-2014, 9:13 PM
William call Epilog they will get you up and running in minutes there are certian settings on the driver that needs to be set specific and if not you can send all day but never print and ping the machine also. Check this setting on the printer preference on the laptop

William Milligan
01-04-2014, 2:30 PM
Thanks Craig and everyone else. I had emailed Epilog on Tuesday, got an email back requesting my phone number, sent it and never heard back. I guess they took the rest of the week off...

Anyway...Craig, you were spot on...I had the port set for RAW rather than LPR....once I change it it worked like a charm. I wish I had seen your post yesterday and I would have had it fixed sooner. This morning I decided to compare the port settings on the system next to my laser (the one that had been directly connected to it) and the wirelessly connected system and noticed that the one that had worked was set for LPR and the other set for RAW. I guess I should have read the instructions on the Epilog site or in the manual a little more thoroughly...BUT...since my day job is a a Windows Systems Engineer I usually just jump in and figure it out.

So, if anyone is interested my current setup is, I have a wireless router set up at my access point which is controlling access and doling out IP addresses using DHCP....I have another router set up near my Epilog which is set up as a bridge so anyone closer to that router can connect with that one instead....My Epilog is connected to the second router using a CAT5 cable and is set up with a static IP address in the address range of the router(s). The result, I can print wirelessly to my Epilog...of course I just send the job and then go to the epilog to run it like I would if I were in the same room. The benefit is I can use any of the workstations or laptops in my house to print to the Epilog once I install the drivers....This is GREAT for me as I prefer the other workstations and laptops to the system that was previously connected to the Epilog (I had upgraded it to Windows 8 and am still trying to get used to it!).

Again, thanks everyone for the tips! Have a Blessed New Year!

Craig Matheny
01-05-2014, 2:58 PM
William just glad I could help I know how frustrating it is when things do not work.