PDA

View Full Version : Back Saw Handle Needs a Blade

Mark Kuzee
12-30-2013, 4:27 PM
Folks,
I just picked up what I consider a very graceful mid to early 1800's British Back saw. Unfortunately someone had recently attached it to a modern blade.

I would liked to find a way to have a new blade and brass back added to this saw as well as find some decent hardware to attach it.

Who can do this? Where could I get material?

I have a few emails out to folks I know of but thought I'd mention it here.

As you can see it is a nice handle and I want to restore it to its original purpose.

Mark2783992784002784012784022784032784042784052784 06

george wilson
12-30-2013, 4:37 PM
THAT is a VERY nice handle. It is a wonder that long,thin upswept part at the bottom of the handle is still intact.

I note WITH PLEASURE,the little ROUNDED(NOT SHARP POINTED,straight sided) little "pips",which are CORRECTLY formed.

They really knew how to properly design things back then.

Some excellent small saw makers have posted their work here. I am out of the saw business right now. I left my equipment at work since I made it on company time.

Mark Kuzee
12-30-2013, 5:18 PM
Thanks George,

I think you can appreciate why I want to respect that handle and give it new life. That little "tongue" at the bottom is about as graceful as you can get. Once in a while I find a saw that begs the question "How did it survive in that shape"

Mark

THAT is a VERY nice handle. It is a wonder that long,thin upswept part at the bottom of the handle is still intact.

I note WITH PLEASURE,the little ROUNDED(NOT SHARP POINTED,straight sided) little "pips",which are CORRECTLY formed.

They really knew how to properly design things back then.

Some excellent small saw makers have posted their work here. I am out of the saw business right now. I left my equipment at work since I made it on company time.

Ron Bontz
12-30-2013, 8:38 PM
PM sent. The handle looks to be in pretty good shape. Do you have the original saw nuts, etc?

george wilson
12-30-2013, 9:21 PM
I was hoping you'd be interested,Ron.

Derek Cohen
12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
That is a beautiful handle, Mark. Well done for finding it. I, too, would want to restore it to its original glory.

I'm sure if anyone has the skill to help, Ron does.

What about finding a similar era saw with a decent blade and poor handle, even if the back needs shortening?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kees Heiden
12-31-2013, 3:18 AM
That's one sexy handle for sure! And I agree with Derek, a period sawblade with folded spine would look best. Make sure you meassure the thickness of the sawblade first though, to see if the replacement isn't too far off.

Maurice Ungaro
12-31-2013, 8:12 AM
Ron was going to be my suggestion! Glad he chimed in!

Mark Kuzee
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
I echo everyones suggestion that it would be best to find an old blade and back. That would be ideal but finding something like that would be difficult. The 12" blade that it came with has more of a carcass saw feel to it. It does not have a brass back and no name is stamped on the back. The blade has around 3 hole punchings for different handles it has had.

Does anyone have an old 8" or 10" dovetail saw blade with brass back that needs a handle? At least the saw would have a name if there was a makers mark on the spine.

Mark