PDA

View Full Version : Help me ID this wood please

Dave Cullen
12-30-2013, 4:18 PM
A friend gave me this plank about 10 years ago. He didn't know what it was, other than it was a tree that he had milled with his band mill. The lighting in my shop is flourescent so the colors might be off a bit. It's reddish brown with a cream colored streak. Very hard and heavy. There are some cracks that I'll have to deal with but I'm hoping to get a clear piece big enough to turn a mallet.

From what I've found on the web it looks like Kingwood, except that doesn't grow here in Southern New England. Anybody take a guess?

The endgrain view was with camera flash, the others are shop lights (flourescent).

Todd Burch
12-30-2013, 4:26 PM
I was going to guess rosewood or cocobolo - but I suspect they wouldn't be growing locally to you either.

Almond or olive maybe?

I'm stumped! (no pun intended)

Mark Bolton
12-30-2013, 4:28 PM
Just a wild guess, and likely wrong, but it kind of looks like cocobolo?

Jeff Johnson
12-30-2013, 4:43 PM
I'm going with Dogwood.

Jeff Johnson
12-30-2013, 4:45 PM
It'll make a great mallet - it's what I use.

Danny Hamsley
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I do not believe it to be a domestic hardwood.

dirk martin
12-31-2013, 12:16 AM
That first pic sure looks like Zircote to me.
But that would mean your friend didn't mill it.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2013, 1:29 AM
It is not almond, dogwood, or olive- all would be lighter color. It is not zirocote unless the guy imported it, and also the grain structure does not look like zirocote. Not cocobolo, which has more yellow and purple and wouldn't be growing in NE.

I would suggest Black Walnut. It can often have red tones. Look at this guy's image: http://randydspence.hubpages.com/hub/black-walnut-lumber

How does it smell? Walnut is sweet-smelling.

Dave Cullen
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
It has no smell at all. I chopped a piece off the end, and got better lighting for these pics below. My helper is there for size comparison.

The Dogwood suggestion has some merit other than the color. Pics I've seen are lighter, sort of pinkish. It's a small tree though, as this one was, and it grows well around here. And the wood is hard and heavy.

It's definitely not Walnut. I also have a chunk of locally grown Walnut that the same friend gave me, I'll get a side-by-side pic of that next to this one. My friend never bought wood - he had a side business cutting trees and milling them into lumber on the spot. This piece has to be a local species.

Todd Burch
12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
That flat grain shot does look like walnut, but the end grain shot does not continue that thought. The jagged "purple/pink" grain lines are VERY interesting, and the discoloration (patina) makes it appear as if oil, or time, has really darkened the face grain and top edge and cracks of the end grain.

Todd Burch
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I would suggest Black Walnut. It can often have red tones. Look at this guy's image: http://randydspence.hubpages.com/hub/black-walnut-lumber

I would venture to say that picture has been color-modified, quite a bit. Higher contrast and a lot of saturation.

Todd Burch
12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Any kind of "iron woods" grow up in your area? The sapwood / heartwood contrast is high. Seems too high to be walnut.

peter gagliardi
12-31-2013, 5:28 PM
Bocote? Maybe

Herr Dalbergia
12-31-2013, 5:33 PM
Cocobolo, Kingwood, Brazilian Rosewood. for sure not Ziricote or Bocotoe. cheers, alex

Doug Herzberg
12-31-2013, 5:53 PM
I've seen a lot of Black Walnut and none of it looks like that. I don't know what you have, though.

Erik Loza
12-31-2013, 6:37 PM
"Black Walnut" was my initial reaction but now, not so sure.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Todd Burch
12-31-2013, 6:51 PM
OK, I'll donate $5 towards getting a professional to ID this. I looked at the woods database, and Lignum Vitae, Texas Ebony, Pistachio and Manzanita might be other candidates (notwithstanding it's assumed origin).

Todd

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2013, 7:26 PM
Wow, once you cut into it, it sure looks like cocobolo now. I have a piece of walnut with a very purple hue like that. Could still be walnut. It will be interesting to find out for sure.

Dave Cullen
01-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Well, after searching the wood ID sites I've decided that this is something I bought a dozen years ago and it somehow ended up on my "air dry for 5 years before use" rack, along with the wood that my friend gave me. Nothing domestic seems to come close. I'm semi convinced it's Kingwood. It's destined to be a mallet head.

Thanks for the inputs.

Cody Colston
01-01-2014, 2:04 PM
I always find the guesses to be highly entertaining.