PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Box

David Shaw
06-11-2005, 3:45 AM
using really nice timbers. I've had the jarrah flame panel cut and sealed for several years , waiting for the right piece to use it on.

A while ago , I came across a piece of "silver ash" that I bought many years ago . Just bandsawn and filthy , it was still clear that the grain was full of fiddleback or curl . It turns out to be bumpy satinash which is a local rainforest timber with flowers that emerge from the bark of the trunk. Quite a lot denser than silver ash with some extremely fine feathing in the grain.

Combining the two and using Jarrah for the feet , lift and hinges ; this is the end result. The lower interior is lined in Spanish cedar and with the lipped lid , will make an ideal day humidor .

http://www.australianwoodart.com/picts/Animation_flamebox.gif

Dave

Dan Forman
06-11-2005, 4:59 AM
David--That is just beautiful. Elegant design and construction, and the wood is magnificent.

Dan

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-11-2005, 6:09 AM
That's stunning . :)

KC

Wes Newman
06-11-2005, 8:30 AM
David, Great looking box! Love the pics!

Lee DeRaud
06-11-2005, 11:19 AM
It's absolutely gorgeous...but you're using a definition of "simple" that I'm completely unfamiliar with. :p

Jay Knoll
06-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Fantastic work, and you've set the bar higher for the picture police! How did you get the pics to change images in your post?

Jay

Jason Tuinstra
06-11-2005, 11:45 AM
David, very nice box. Your combination of woods is very impressive. And the animated .gif is a nice touch as well - not that I'm a member of the pic police patrol.

Effie Lever
06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Way more then "just a simple box", great work on incredible wood.

Effie

Corey Hallagan
06-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Beautiful piece. Curious what is the thickness of the stock you used and what kind of joinery did you use on it. Is it simley just mitered joints glued up? Again, really nice!

Corey

David Shaw
06-11-2005, 8:37 PM
It is as simple as I get . Mitered joints to the body , top and bottom panels fitting into slots . All my boxes have timber hinges with built in stops .

The feet give it a lift .

Dave

Mark Singer
06-11-2005, 11:25 PM
David,

Very nice ! Clean and simple!