PDA

View Full Version : cabinet design question - door pull location

Richard Shaefer
12-30-2013, 2:15 PM
I'm building a two door shaker style cabinet.
both doors are flat infill panel and frame.
the door frames are 1 1/2" wide and 1" thick with 1/2" thick flat stock infills.
The doors are also inset with no center stile between them.

I am having trouble finding door pulls that I like that will fit on the door frames and not look like they're essentially on top of each other. most of the pull knobs that I like are 1 1/4" -ish in diameter.
I've never put door pulls on the infill panels, but I'm considering it to make this thing work.
has anyone ever seen something similar?

glenn bradley
12-30-2013, 2:52 PM
If you ignore the poor figure selection on this piece, (http://www.amishalley.com/assets/images/forksvalley/fve-044-s.jpg) it has an example of pulls that I would think of as Shaker. Generally wood and turned there is a selection here (http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/category/wknob.html).

Sam Murdoch
12-30-2013, 5:30 PM
Took me a while to understand what you meant by "not look like they're essentially on top of each other" - I believe you mean that with the 1-1/2" wide stile the 1-1/4" knobs looks too close to each other. Perhaps you should considers "pulls" rather than "knobs". I don't think that there are any "authentic" Shaker wood pulls but there are many simple options with nice clean lines that could work well. There are even a few wooden versions out there. I would NOT apply the pull to the panel. That will look like you waited until your cabinet was built to pick the hardware :).

Are you using metal butt hinges? The style of your hinges could give you some style direction for 3" on center pulls or pendant pulls.

Of course you can make your own long pulls or modify the 1-1/4" by flattening the sides a bit. Leave the top and bottom rounded but make them narrower and so elongated.

Todd Burch
12-30-2013, 5:47 PM
THIS is why I use a minimum of 2" width for stiles. Usually 2 1/4".

I would not put hardware on the panels. I've seen that, and it does not look good.

I would also not put wire pulls on the horizontal on the bottom rail.

A smaller diameter knob or a wire pull (wire could mean wood, but I prefer metal) might work. It's a dainty door, which should allow dainty hardware.

If you REALLY wanted to achieve a look of "I didn't plan this very well", you could glue on some wood in the bottom corners of the doors to widen the stiles where the knobs will go. But, I'm just being smart - don't do that.

Perhaps, you could find some L shaped pulls, that mortise into the edge of the door, and the "L" would protrude proud of the door and that could be your handle. Like the picture I've attached. (Alas, a constructive comment...)

Todd

Joe Samorodin
12-30-2013, 7:12 PM
Blumotion? use the longer throws for inset doors though

Bill Neely
12-31-2013, 1:03 AM
I use a smaller version of whatever drawer pull/handle I've installed.