PDA

View Full Version : New washing machine

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-11-2005, 3:14 AM
Our 15 year old washer quit spinning reliably last weekend. :(

I say 'reliably' because I could make it spin by fiddling with it, but it still wasn't spinning right and the clothes were still 'two dryer cycles' wet. Might've been a simple problem and cheap to fix, but we ran some horrible well water through it for several years, and it had bounced BADLY since it was new...you could be at the other end of the house and know when it was done (when the vibration stopped)...so we just bought a new one. LOML's 'criteria' was it had to gave three water level settings, and it had to have wash/rinse temperature settings. Cheapest one we found without spending all day shopping was a GE for $319 at Home Depot. I brought it home this morning and swapped 'em out. MAN, what a difference. Quiet, NO vibration, and the spin/suck cycle will bunch the underwear up like they're in a SpaceSaver vacuum bag. :D

I feel inadequate for not even trying to fix the old one, but if this one goes 15 years, I guess I'll get over it. :o

KC

Lee DeRaud
06-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Did you get a front-loader so you can use the top as an out-feed table? :cool:

John Hart
06-11-2005, 9:05 PM
I know this feeling KC!! Ours was a hand-me-down and we stuck with it for nearly 10 years (making it about 15 years old too). We decided on Sears and got a matching washer dryer set for $550. That was a couple years ago. I fought with that old one for 5 years before pulling the trigger...but wow..what a difference. I was so happy, I built a dedicated platform for it.

Bob Weisner
06-11-2005, 9:13 PM
Kirk:

Did you check out the Bosch brand of washing machines?

Jim Becker
06-11-2005, 9:14 PM
I am afeared that we will be doing a similar thing with the dryer soon...it came with the house and is likely 15 years old at this point. The washer went early on and was replaced with a Maytag Neptune...dryer is the only "original" appliance left from the previous owners. Considering we bought over 5 and a half years ago, we can't really complain. Of course, the dryer will go right when I have a load in that is essential for something like a business trip or something else important...like every pair of underware I own. ;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-12-2005, 1:01 AM
Kirk:

Did you check out the Bosch brand of washing machines?

Note that I made mention of 'cheapest we could find'...

In other words, "no". :D

KC

Frank Hagan
06-12-2005, 2:00 AM
When our last washer ... an 18 year old Maytag ... bit the dust, my wife was unemployed and my job was shaky ... so we bought a Costco "Kirkland by Whirlpool" washer. We hate it ... it is extremely cheap, bounces around the room during the spin cycle if it gets unbalanced (despite all the leveling and other tinkering I've done) and sloshes water out onto the floor if you have the fill level at the maximum.

I can't bring myself to just buy a new one if this one still works, but now that my job is secure again and my wife is back to work, we are thinking about it. I suspect we'll end up buying a new one again about this time next year.

Fred Voorhees
06-12-2005, 7:18 PM
Been there and done that Kirk! Three months ago, we replaced the water heater. Two months ago, it was the clothes washer that decided to head South. Last month, we got ourselves a new refrigerator. I can't wait for next month! :eek: