PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" ply over 3/4" plywood

C Scott McDonald
12-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I want to build a roll around hobby table. Basically a 2'X4' cabinet with wheels and some kind of top. Nothing fancy it will be torn up. I have a 1/4 sheet of cherry ply that I would very much like to get out of the shop so I want to wrap the 3/4" ply with it. I was thinking of doing a frame and panel look to make it look nice. Would it be better to make traditional stile and rails put the 1/4" panel in and the attach the whole assembly to the box or do fake stiles and rails with a rabbit to capture the 1/4" ply? Kind of leaning to the second idea. I guess i would just leave the 1/4 float.

Thank,
Scott

Peter Quinn
12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
I could see an argument for either approach. A frame and panel approach would be traditional looking but use more wood and
Potentially more labor. You could make "L's" of the wood of your choice from 5/16" material, glue and clamp these to the corners to give it the solid post leg effect, add some rails to look like aprons, fit the 1/4" cherry ply inside of that. Or even laminate the cherry ply to the carcus ply and follow the same approach to make it
Look like solid legs and solid aprons connecting them.