PDA

View Full Version : Hard Maple....

Steve Swail
06-11-2005, 2:11 AM
Hello to all....I am new to this site but have been checking in for the last few weeks and am amazed by the wealth of information that is shared here at SMC. My first question (of many I am sure) is regarding a workbench I am wanting to build. It is the "modern workbench" from Lee Valley and the plans call for 120 or so board ft of hard maple. I am in the Charlotte, NC area and my options as of now are buying #2 common 8/4, 10 ft long or select 8/4 at 8 ft long. The #2 common is at $1.20 per ft and the the select is at $4.00 a ft....Is there that big of a difference in the quality/appearance of the two? Is this yet another case of "you get what you pay for" or is the #2 common the smart way to go? I appreciate any input and advise anyone has to offer. Oh, and I am sure you guys will help me much more than than I will ever help you (lol). Thanks.

Steve

Alan Turner
06-11-2005, 5:09 AM
Steve,
I only buy FAS, except when buying a flitch, but chairmakers do so often as they only need smaller pieces. For a bench, flatness, over time, is the chief ingredient. Flattening and reflattening a bench top that was not even-grained (i.e., without knots, etc.) would be difficult, esp. with a hand plane.

lou sansone
06-11-2005, 7:24 AM
I would take a look at the #2 and see how many defects are actually in it for your applicaton. A WB uses a lot of strips of wood that can be orientated in such a way so as to hide the defect.

lou

Ralph Steffey
06-11-2005, 7:57 AM
I agree with Lou if you pay attention to the placement of your lumber you will be fine with #2