PDA

View Full Version : My name is....... and I'm a toolaholic.

Rich Riddle
12-29-2013, 10:29 PM
After reading some new year resolutions and seeing people indicating they want to use tools and not keep buying ones they don't use all that often, I must admit...my name is Rich and I'm a toolaholic. Anyone else have this illness? Any way to get help? Stop? Should we?

Rod Sheridan
12-30-2013, 9:30 AM
Rich, why are you trying to cure one of the great pleasures of woodworking?:eek:

I live in a city with 3 Lee Valley stores.

Hi, my name is Rod and I have a hand tool addiction......................There, that feels much better, now where did that Lee Valley Christmas catalogue go???????:D.........Rod.

Now, if you want to talk addictions, Diann has 2 motorcycles in the garage, and I have 4..........LOL

David Weaver
12-30-2013, 9:40 AM
I have the same problem. I haven't made a resolution, but I would like to cut my hand tool piles back to half or 1/4th of what they are. I don't really have any great emergency reason to do it, but it's the old fork in the road thing - it's going to go one way or the other, but staying static is unlikely to happen.

Todd Burch
12-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I guess I'm still in denial.

glenn bradley
12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Fortunately my condition is self-regulating. I have no more room in the shop and refuse to trip over or dig through stuff while I am working. If anything else comes in, something of equal volume has to leave. That and the fact that accumulating tools that I do not use makes about as much sense as me collecting spoons, I'm OK for now . . . one day at a time :D.

Stephen Tashiro
12-30-2013, 11:53 AM
The situation could be improved if there were some sort of charity to help the tool poor - tool kitchens to give tools to the needy, helpers dressed like Roy Underhill standing outside of stores with a big kettle for tool donations. It would probably be full of screw drivers.

Todd Burch
12-30-2013, 12:16 PM
...It would probably be full of screw drivers.

And socket sets in plastic cases. At least that's what all my brother-in-laws would have to put in it.

Glenn - I like your attitude towards this. I downsize every now and then. Just before I packed up the shop and sent it to storage, I had a couple sales and put stuff on CL. Still could have parted with more, I suppose. My "MO" this last time was to, for example, round up all the marking gauges (like 8 of them) and sell the one that was missing the scribe. 'Fessing up - this was done for "show", to show the wife that I was capable of downsizing. She didn't catch on to my ploy, though. heh heh heh.

John Conklin
12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm gettin' so bad, I have trouble finding things to request for holidays (within the preset $ limit of course). I don't even look at tools at the big box stores anymore, it takes at least Woodcraft to find something I want/don't have.

Rick Potter
12-30-2013, 1:06 PM
You have to be kidding. I have been a junkie for so long, I can't remember when I had room to keep them all. Any broken down tool that needs love wanders to my door, and once here, takes up residency. I am trying to break the cycle, and unload the extra stuff I don't actually use. Hey! That could be my New Year's Resolution.

Hah,
Rick P

Brian Elfert
12-30-2013, 1:20 PM
The only things I have duplicates of are cordless tools and diagonal wire cutters. I have a set of Ryobi cordless tools with lithium batteries and a set of Makita cordless tools with lithium batteries. I bought a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools from a Craigslist seller including a cordless miter saw. I bought a $99 Ryobi cordless drill to get the lithium batteries. There are times when I need to switch between three cordless tools so I use the Ryobi tools too. The Makita cordless tools are my main go-to cordless tools.

I have three diagonal wire cutters because I lost one, bought another, and found the lost one. I bought a third because I used the other two to cut a lot of steel hardware cloth and wanted a good sharp pair for copper wire.

Jim Matthews
12-30-2013, 5:25 PM
I have a problem with hammers.

It's not that I like hammers so much, it's just that they're hard to find when I need one.
It's easy to find them at the tool store. Not so easy, in my dark basement.

I can only imagine the archaeologist unearthing the "Swamp Yankee Claw Hammer Cult site" in the distant future...

phil harold
12-30-2013, 6:50 PM
I know there is a twelve step program for dewalt users
;o)

Jim Matthews
12-30-2013, 8:07 PM
Their tool cases "nestle" these days.

It's not twelve steps, it's a twelve "stack" program.
Tool-box tansu!