PDA

View Full Version : Finally started working on a step cabinet my wife wants

Justin Rapp
12-29-2013, 10:13 PM
It's been about 2 years (granted hurricane sandy killed last winter's projects), I finally started building a step cabinet my wife designed. She started by using blue painters tape to build to outline of what she wanted on the wall by the stairs in our home. I took measurements, did a bunch of layout/designs and drew up plans on the computer. We also spent a fair amount of time trying to think about what style we wanted and it was a cross between rustic and mission. We'll see what it looks like when it's done.

We decided on using cherry, even though oak would have looked a bit more rustic or mission, but having a pile of rough cut cherry sitting in the rafters was the deciding factor. I picked up two 3/4 cherry 4x8 ply sheets from my local hardwood dealer and got to work.

As of now, aside from the top box, the frame is built, the rough cut cherry that will be used for the face frame, trim, doors and drawer fronts is all cleaned up. I S4S'ed the planks into boards for the face frame and trim. However, the best part about this project is that my wife has gotten involved. She jumped in to help and is really having fun working on it and may have got the woodworking bug!

Matt Day
12-30-2013, 1:56 PM
Nice work Justin, look forward to seeing it completed. I just say that I've never seen a level used that way before!

Justin Rapp
12-31-2013, 8:22 AM
I was actually using the level as a straight edge. I put dado's in the left side panel for the joints, the panel sat for 2 days before starting to build and it developed a slight twist. I used the level to help hold the panel in place as it was glued and clamped!

Howard Rosenberg
12-31-2013, 3:55 PM
That's really cool Justin.

Pics! More pics!

Howard