PDA

View Full Version : Another Nichols Steady Rest Build

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 3:40 PM
This summer I was asked to give an estimate on turning ~20 slender railing balusters. I turned one, and it took me two hours. I figured I could make pretty good money at $45 each if I got better with each one... And had it down to an hour apiece at the end.

Here's the baluster. You can see why I needed the steady!

I got started getting the materials for the steady rest right away, because my makeshift steady just wasn't going to do... I got the angle ring from McMaster Carr, and the steel from the machine shop across the highway. I even went down to HF and bought one of those recip saws, because my arm was getting tired using a hacksaw...

Turned out I only turned the one baluster since I found a place that could turn them for much less than I could, and the order turned into 75+ balusters anyway. I'd have had to take off work for a couple weeks... Nope. Not doing that. You can read about this in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205890-Baluster-boy-do-I-need-a-steady-rest!&highlight=baluster

But I continued with the build anyway... I had some old inline skate wheels I'd been saving for just this purpose. And bolts I had in plenty since I scavenge and hoard stuff like that....

So.. off to the races then.

First up is the recip saw after having done it's duty. (A drop-bandsaw would have been ideal, but I just haven't run into a used one at the same time I had money.)
And next are the arms cut and drilled.

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 3:47 PM
Drilling the base and clamp plates goes pretty quickly after the layout is done.

Look out for those curly steel ribbon snakes! (Not to mention the ugly shop denizens!)

I used the drill press to start the tap. Makes for a much straighter start than trying to do it by hand. DO NOT turn the press ON! This is simply a method to start the tap. Turn the tap by HAND ONLY!

278271Here are the base and clamp plates drilled, tapped, and assembled. I think I chose to use half inch steel for both.

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 3:56 PM
Here are all the parts dry fit and bolted together prior to welding. I was really excited at this point and could hardly wait to get it welded...278272

But wait I did. It was several weeks before I brought the whole thing to my mechanic buddy, and had him weld it up. Took us several hours, but it turned out pretty well. I was happy with it!
I felt I owed him, big time, so I gave his wife a really nice turned box with fancy inlaid lid... And maybe I owe him more than that, so other turnings may be coming their way.

Here it is in use, PRE- paint. I hadda get a rolling pin finished and in the hands of the baker. (But that's another thread.)

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 4:02 PM
Primed in the paint booth with metal etching primer. Not sure that's the way to go. Next time I might just get the machine shop to powder coat it. This stuff flaked off pretty easy and it's expensive!

Painting, outside in the weather, with a balky aggrovating can of paint. I finally finished this up with a new can, and it started wrinkling up on me. Took days to get this painted!

Painted, assembled, and knobs turned! This thing is STOUT! I used the thicker steel for the base and clamp plates, and a 16 inch angle ring instead of the 18 inch that James Combs used.278276278277

Now to finish up those rolling pins...

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 4:37 PM
And of course, no sooner than I'd gotten this put together, Mr. Pritchard came and demonstrated his Carter Steady Rest for the club, and I now have steady rest envy.... :rolleyes:

But I'm really happy with this build. It's stout, slides onto the bed easily, clamps down easily, and the arms are easily adjusted and the knobs/clamps keep everything secure. :cool:

Thanks and big tip of the hat to Jeff Nichols for the original design, and James Combs for making a plan available. I'm really happy with the rest, and will be using it to finish up some big rolling pins for the bakery downtown.

Hope you enjoyed this, and perhaps it will encourage you to make your own.

Dick Mahany
12-29-2013, 4:55 PM
Great job, and painted to match! I have the same lathe and am wanting to upgrade from my plywood built 3 wheeled version. This looks like it would be a major improvement.

Dennis Nagle
12-29-2013, 4:58 PM
Nice job. They really do wonders when turning long.

Rich Aldrich
12-29-2013, 9:30 PM
Beautiful work. It is so nice when you can make your own tools, but to make them this nice is great. I bought one from Jeff. They really work nice. I wish I had had the time to build one.

James Combs
12-29-2013, 9:41 PM
And of course, no sooner than I'd gotten this put together, Mr. Pritchard came and demonstrated his Carter Steady Rest for the club, and I now have steady rest envy.... :rolleyes:

But I'm really happy with this build. It's stout, slides onto the bed easily, clamps down easily, and the arms are easily adjusted and the knobs/clamps keep everything secure. :cool:

Thanks and big tip of the hat to Jeff Nichols for the original design, and James Combs for making a plan available. I'm really happy with the rest, and will be using it to finish up some big rolling pins for the bakery downtown.

Hope you enjoyed this, and perhaps it will encourage you to make your own.
Great looking rest Jim and thanks for the credit. I am sure you will enjoy using the rest. After you have used it for a while give me your opinion on using the thicker base plate. Do you detect any vibrations from the steady rest itself?

Jim Underwood
12-29-2013, 9:51 PM
I'm sure that the thicker plate still allows some vibration, but the biggest vibration seems to come from the used wheels. I think they are not quite round.

charlie knighton
12-29-2013, 10:47 PM
looking good Jim, i know you will get a lot of satisfaction from using it

call oneway and you can buy their wheels , i like them a lot compared to skate board wheels, they are made for turning wood

Sid Matheny
12-30-2013, 12:01 AM
That has been on my to-do list for a long time and you steady looks great.

Sid

Dennis Nagle
12-30-2013, 10:22 AM
good job Jim. I built one just like yours but 32" diameter. Heavy bugger but it sure holds everything in place.

Jim Underwood
12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Holy Moly! I thought mine was heavy. I bet it's a bear to pick up!:eek:

Thom Sturgill
12-30-2013, 11:39 AM
good job Jim. I built one just like yours but 32" diameter. Heavy bugger but it sure holds everything in place.

Don't want to think what size lathe would need one that big. I'd need a winch just to move the steady rest.

Ryan Mooney
12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
That came out real nice Jim. Thanks for detailing the build.

Jim Underwood
12-30-2013, 4:40 PM
You're welcome. Hope it helps someone.

I just looked at that other thread, and realized that it took me 5 months to complete this project from start to finish. Wow.

Brad Adams
12-30-2013, 7:58 PM
That's a fine looking steady rest. I built one like it about a year ago. One thing I noticed with mine was that it is kinda noisy in use, does yours make a lot of noise while turning? It seems like the noise from mine comes from the wheels.

Dennis Nagle
12-31-2013, 9:39 AM
Don't want to think what size lathe would need one that big. I'd need a winch just to move the steady rest.

I use as chain fall over my lathe for the steady rest and big logs.

Dennis Nagle
12-31-2013, 9:40 AM
That's a fine looking steady rest. I built one like it about a year ago. One thing I noticed with mine was that it is kinda noisy in use, does yours make a lot of noise while turning? It seems like the noise from mine comes from the wheels.

Those wheels should be very quiet. If they are used, the bearings might be bad or need a bit of grease.

Jon Nuckles
12-31-2013, 5:52 PM
I saw urethane scooter wheels on the Lee Valley website yesterday for about $2 each, if you are looking to replace yours. Very nice build, by the way. Puts my plywood steady to shame.