PDA

View Full Version : My CorelDraw x3 objects turn to WIREFRAME if I try to copy/paste - WHY?

Dee Gallo
12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
I have looked and looked for a reason or fix, but can't find out why this is happening. Anybody know?

If I copy and paste an object, it lands as wireframe, losing all the fill and line info... and cannot be edited afterwards.

If I create an object and group the elements, it becomes wireframe and can't be edited.

If I have a grouped object and ungroup it, it becomes wireframe, blah blah blah.

What the heck is causing this?

I would really appreciate any help, after years of using CD, I have never seen this before and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks everyone, dee

Bert Kemp
12-29-2013, 1:05 PM
? Dee, by wireframe do you mean hairline? When you copy where do you paste it to? I have x5 so can't compare apples to apples. I created an object the letter A and gave it a 5mm outline border, I copied it and pasted it to another page and nothing changed.
Is this something new that's happening in x3 or has it always been a problem, could be its just x3 or maybe I'm just understanding the problem correctly.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-29-2013, 2:18 PM
Are you working with layers? I have seen oddball things happen when I had inadvertently selected a wrong layer thru my Object Manager docker such as my Guides layer under Master Page

Dee Gallo
12-29-2013, 2:52 PM
I do have a few layers, mostly non-printing guideline and registration grids. But the layer I pasted onto is the printing layer, I double checked that.

Bert: when you look at the bottom right corner, the line and fill read as they should (i.e.: black fill, .5 line) but they look like blue hairlines with no fill. When I print, the other objects on the page laser okay but the "funny" ones do not print as if they were hairline.

Steve Clarkson
12-29-2013, 3:06 PM
Are you sure it's "wireframe"? When you click on "View" is Enhanced or Wireframe checked? I thought if you switched to wireframe view, it would switch your entire document, not just one object. Can you post a .cdr file with one "regular" object and one that you copied that is wireframe? I'd like to see if I copied the original object what would happen.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-29-2013, 3:11 PM
Can you show us a screen shot? It doesn't matter if it's a printing layer or not. I can consistently cause what you are describing (filled object turns to wireframe) if I try to paste into a Guide Layer, but as soon as I drag that object into my Layer 1 it returns to normal display.

Bert Kemp
12-29-2013, 3:48 PM
I found I have the same problem if anything under wireframe is checked except enhanced. Works ok if enhanced is checked.

Gary Hair
12-29-2013, 5:16 PM
they look like blue hairlines with no fill

That sounds to me like they are on a guidelines layer.

Glen Monaghan
12-29-2013, 5:34 PM
My first thought is likewise, that it's on a guide layer.

Dee Gallo
12-29-2013, 6:47 PM
Here you go Mike, it's CorelDraw x3.

I have tried copy/paste into a new document, but get the same so it is not layers. I tried pasting into a document that has good elements, but it does the same as you would see if you open this document.

I made sure I was not on the guideline layer. I tried re-filling and changing the lines, but that did nothing.

The lines are all blue and hairline, not editable.

Howard Garner
12-29-2013, 7:20 PM
If the problem is position A5, it is on the guides layer of the Master Page. Move it to page 1
Turn the eyeball off to verify.

Howard

Glen Monaghan
12-29-2013, 7:44 PM
Dee,

If you are talking about A5, W, moneybag, that is on Master Page/Guides (All Pages). I selected the blue outlined stuff there, cut, selected Layer 1 and unlocked it, then pasted and the blue hairlined stuff looked black and white, similar to the rest of the tile designs. I did notice that some of the "black" is RGB black and some is CYMK black, FWIW.

Dee Gallo
12-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks Glen, I just did the same thing and it did fix the problem. I don't know how that happened, but I will know what to check if it happens again. I have done hundreds and hundreds of designs and never had this happen, so that was weird. Whew! Now I can get back to work!

Thanks again to everyone who helped, there is always something new to learn.

cheers, dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-29-2013, 11:59 PM
If you use your Object Manager Docker on a regular basis - such as selecting items, switching from page to page, that is when it will most-likely happen. You don't have to copy/paste to move objects between layers - you can just click on an object and drag them from one layer to another in the Object Manager docker. You may have accidentally dragged it over to the Guides in the Master Page.

Dee Gallo
12-30-2013, 5:59 PM
Thanks Mike, I'm sure that's what I did. I don't normally play with layers, but I was setting up a template page with non-printing elements to be used with lots of other designs. My fault for not paying attention!

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-30-2013, 6:48 PM
I think once you start working with them, you will find SO MANY advantages and things you can do. I typically have 4 layers in use at all times now. They include non-engraved items, guidelines, raster-only and vector-only layers, as well as special notes such as the name of a rare font I temporarily installed and then converted to curves.

Mike Null
12-31-2013, 7:09 AM
I just posted a link to a very good tutorial on using layers in the Corel Tips sticky.

Dee Gallo
12-31-2013, 8:40 PM
Thanks Mike, very helpful!