PDA

View Full Version : Your Woodworking New Year Resolutions

Rich Riddle
12-29-2013, 10:55 AM
What are your woodworking new year resolutions. Mine is to spend an appropriate amount of time to better use hand tools. Guess that means hanging out with the folks in the Neanderthal forum. Another is to complete my "fifties" workbench before turning 51.

Are some of your resolutions about spending more or less money in the hobby?

Don Jarvie
12-29-2013, 6:35 PM
Stop making the same dumb mistakes that I should not be making.

John Conklin
12-29-2013, 7:43 PM
Spend more time actually woodworking and less time in front of the television and computer.

Larry Frank
12-29-2013, 7:53 PM
Work Safely and have fun making sawdust.

James Baker SD
12-29-2013, 7:55 PM
along the lines of John above,
Spend more time actually woodworking and less time buying tools I don't use.

David Nelson1
12-29-2013, 7:57 PM
Mine would have to be stay the heck outta the classified section. :D Actually it will be too work in a slightly cleaner shop and to build more shop cabinets.

Chris Fournier
12-29-2013, 7:59 PM
Spend more time actually woodworking and less time in front of the television and computer.

This is my resolution as well! Of course it was my resolution last year when I was 6 pounds lighter which is an entirely different resolution!

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2013, 8:27 PM
Win the lottery and do less woodworking.......

More fishing.....

Larry

John Shaffner
12-29-2013, 9:02 PM
Like Larry, I need to do more fishing. I live 5 minutes from one of the best walleye lakes in the northeast and I haven't ben out in 4 yrs. As far as the shop goes, I'd like to build some new cabinets and tool storage. I try to be a stickler about everything being in its' place, but that only works if you have a place to put it.

John

paul cottingham
12-29-2013, 9:05 PM
+ 1 my friend.

Michael Dunn
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Like Larry, I need to do more fishing. I live 5 minutes from one of the best walleye lakes in the northeast and I haven't ben out in 4 yrs. As far as the shop goes, I'd like to build some new cabinets and tool storage. I try to be a stickler about everything being in its' place, but that only works if you have a place to put it. John

Mmmmmmm... Walleye. Best fish ever!

My resolution is to learn as much about running my WW business as possible.

Justin Rapp
12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
1) finished reorganizing my workshop (Just got it mostly there to start a major project)
2) get better dust collection - I have a JET air cleaner and a delta 1hp dust collector but 30 micron bags are all bad!
3) get a band saw and learn to resaw

Larry Whitlow
12-29-2013, 10:45 PM

More fishing.....

Larry

Yep, next year I'm getting back into doing some fishing. Getting a fly rod for my birthday (day after tomorrow). I hope there is a forum out there that is as good to fly fishing as SMC is to woodworking.

Rod Sheridan
12-30-2013, 9:23 AM
Hi Rich, my objective is to spend more time in the shop next year.

I spent a fair bit of time in Calgary this summer dealing with the aftermath of the flood, and it really affected my shop time.

On a personal note, where do you live in Virginia? I spend about a week every year working in Mount Jackson Virginia, beautiful area.............Regards, Rod

gary Zimmel
12-30-2013, 9:28 AM
Mine is to get the big reno done in our home. I have been at it for 10 months now and have finally started the final phase which is the kitchen.....

eugene thomas
12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Mine is to get that I O U cashed in on building our house that gave my wife when we bought land and built my shop 6 years ago.

glenn bradley
12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I want to redouble my shop efforts in getting rid of things I "just had to have" that I actually only used once, or once a year. There are things that are just nice to have and that's great. There are also things that I keep because I bought/acquired them even though they serve no real purpose. This is the year for the tough decisions :cool:.

Garth Almgren
12-30-2013, 5:56 PM
Get my shop set up in my new (to me) house and start making sawdust.

Bill White
12-30-2013, 6:41 PM
Double up the safety issues, and spend more time on good design rather than "hip-shooting" projects.
That's my story and I'm stuck with it.
Bill

Kelly Colin Mark
12-30-2013, 6:58 PM
I need to start and then finish my projects, one at a time. I have too many interests, woodworking among them, but even just there I end up starting one project, half finishing it, getting sidetracked with another. The end result is lots of half finished projects, lots of clutter and no space. This is a real problem for me as my shop space is so limited in the best of cases

Steve Kohn
12-30-2013, 9:41 PM
I have two simple goals; o get better at sharpening and finishing. I've got the tools to do both I just need to practice.

Dave Zellers
12-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Clean, Vacuum, Clean, Vacuum!

At the end of the day, I'm usually pushing toward reaching a goal before I quit. The LAST thing I want to do after that is clean the shop when I'm done.

Which means that mess is the first thing I face the next morning. UGH.

I'm hoping my new (Thank You, Sweetie Claus!) Oneida Dust Deputy helps in that regard. Not having to clean the filter on my vac should be a huge incentive to vacuum up the mess quickly and then come down to a clean(ish)* shop in the morning.

*No need to get crazy or anything...:D

Jim Andrew
12-31-2013, 9:27 AM
Don't usually do resolutions, but am determined to finish up the storage and get all the stuff moved into it. Yesterday I made a vertical rack, and last night moved some boards into it, holds lots more than the flat stack. And can see what I have. Have to make a few more of the racks and get all the boards off the rack before I can move it. Then when that is finished, re hook up my cyclone, run a new circuit for some lights that go where the rack was, and where my new assembly table will go. Also plan to lay another layer of fiberglass batts over the shop ceiling, in the old part. Put r 33 in the storage room, used 3 layers of r11 batts I bought at Menards on sale. The shop has r19 batts, so a layer of r11 should fix that up. Then, in February have to get the new saw hooked up, assume I have to replace the wire as my hp is increasing on the new saw, along with the dust collection will be different. All this before I can build anything.

Todd Burch
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Well, lots to do. Build a house, garage and shop. I'm probably a couple/three months away from starting the house, but have been living with dad since last May. To ease that situation, I'm also in the process of buying a small fixer-upper house that needs about $50K of work done to it to make it something I want to live in. And, as soon as the weather warms up, I need to spray finish the last dozen+ kitchen cabinet doors, and then I'll be finished (well, almost) with dad's house (still need to make a cherry buffet, a spacer for the microwave, and something else that escapes me right now).

So, as soon as I get a shop, I'll be "in it" up to my neck. Can't wait!!

Prashun Patel
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Cut more dovetails by hand.

Dave Cullen
12-31-2013, 11:01 AM

Ditto. Just daydreaming about wood doesn't get anything done.

Brian Tymchak
12-31-2013, 1:37 PM

+1. for me throw in: fixing the house up, lawn/landscape maintenance

C Scott McDonald
12-31-2013, 3:47 PM
Finish something for a change.

Lud martinson
12-31-2013, 6:21 PM
This is easy for me.
I'm slowly but surely parting ways with residential construction and looking forward to improving to cabinet level.

Jamie Lynch
01-01-2014, 10:01 AM
1. Get my shop insulated.
2. Get wood stove installed.
3. Buy a bandsaw.
4. Get air conditioner installed.
5. While doing the previous four items: finish designing and building new dining room table, bedroom end tables, entertainment center, and sideboard for SWMBO.

john davey
01-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Mine is pretty easy..... Spend more time in the shop :). Happy new year to all....

'Jacques Malan'
01-01-2014, 3:57 PM
I've lost 44 pounds last year, so hopefully that will continue.

But for a woodworking project this year, teaching me some new skills, I plan on building a roll-top desk.

Brian W Smith
01-02-2014, 7:56 AM
Probably avg about 6 hrs a day(7 days/week) in shop............So, making better use of time there is always at the forefront.Can I spend 3 hrs and get 6hrs worth of work done?What needs to be changed/modified to accomplish this?

On a simpler note.......Improve lighting in a cpl areas,get better music,cpl more anti fatigue mats.

Mark Blatter
01-02-2014, 10:19 AM

More fishing.....

Larry

I lived for over 20 years within an hour of the best trout rivers in the US and couldn't find the time to do much fishing. Now that I no longer live there, I kick myself for not taking better advantage of it.

I want to spend more time enjoying building the things I want to work on and less time mowing grass and working for a living. Yet without the work, there is no play.

Craig Behnke
01-02-2014, 10:48 AM
my goals are to continue learning the craft of woodworking (I'm a relative noob, so i absorb as much as i can), reduce clutter in the shop so i can work smarter not harder, produce some nice furniture to gift to certain family members. if I do that, i'll probably consider it a good year.

Rick Markham
01-03-2014, 4:15 AM
After spending an entire year getting my shop/home set up. This years resolution is to live and breath woodworking... Nothing else matters.

Jeff Bartley
01-03-2014, 9:39 AM
Rod, I live about twenty minutes south of Mt Jackson, PM me when you're coming down and I'll buy ya a beer! Jeff

Harold Burrell
01-04-2014, 7:15 PM
To actually finish some of the projects I have started.

Bernie May
01-04-2014, 8:33 PM
clean the shop. It hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in over five years. Build more shop organizers. Less TV. Less booze. Less day job, though much of that is at home on e-mail solving other people's problems. Remembering that life is short and 66 is a big number.

Ed Aumiller
01-04-2014, 9:54 PM
Rod, if you get to Mt Jackson, VA ..... what is your bike??? Beemer ?? Live in Edinburg area... 7 miles... Cold beer, hot coffee, your choice, my treat... Ed A.