PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Plane

David M Anderson
12-29-2013, 9:24 AM
I bought a "lot" of planes on the Bay just to get a knob for my #4 type 9.
There was a type 11 with the knob I needed but the plane was broke in half at the mouth and repaired.
Turned out to be a nice haul, for what I would of paid for a single knob got four planes and the knob I needed.

Then a friend of mine on another forum, adot45, sent me a link to eBay of a plane that was modified from a broken one, at the throat.
Don't know if I can post that link here without getting in trouble, so I wont till I know it's ok.

Here is the start of the "Phoenix" plane. The broken type 11.

A little cutting is in order.

Next a little filling the plane will be put together from various other parts,
I had laying around.

Now it comes together, I must note here though the blade is not real sharp yet.
Brass adjuster screw...type 9 plane
Tote and lever cap...Defiance plane
Blade and cap iron...Ohio plane
And here it is from the trash can or so to speak the ashes.

The Phoenix plane.

If I can post that listing, your jaws would drop on what it went for.
Myself, I don't have any part planes...just restore them.;)

Jim Koepke
12-29-2013, 1:26 PM
Howdy David,

Posting ebay links isn't allowed, but you can post the item number.

I would be interested.

One of my planes was bought for the knob and tote at a low price. It had terrible pictures and my thought was the plane was broken. Turns out it is now my go to #5. I ended up selling the other one I had.

I also use the parts from old broken planes to hold knobs or totes. The broken base part can be mounted in a vise while holding a knob or tote to be sanded or varnished.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-29-2013, 1:32 PM
Nice resuse. I've seen folks take planes like that before and try and pass them off as "rare Stanley number four bullnose rabbet plane!" But it does seem like it could be useful in some spots.

I'd be tempted to try and file the edges of the casting to the same angle as the bed, or a bit clear, and see if I could fit a wider blade or the blade from a rabbeting bench plane, so that you can work right up to the edges.

Hilton Ralphs
12-29-2013, 1:43 PM
I'd be tempted to try and file the edges of the casting to the same angle as the bed, or a bit clear, and see if I could fit a wider blade or the blade from a rabbeting bench plane, so that you can work right up to the edges.

That's a good idea actually. It would be cheaper than a miter/chisel trimming plane.

David M Anderson
12-29-2013, 2:09 PM
Hello Jim,
The eBay number is 111234879441, you will be surprised on what it sold for.
Myself I did it to provide another tool which in certain circumstances be used..;)

Jim Koepke
12-29-2013, 2:26 PM
Wow! Some people just have too much money.

Maybe I should dig out some of my old rusty cast iron and make one or two of these.

jtk

george wilson
12-29-2013, 3:23 PM
A chisel planre I made was useful for making keyboards for harpsichords. Numerous key heads to be planed up to the wider heads.

Tom Vanzant
12-29-2013, 3:27 PM
Several years ago there was a "custom #5 1/2 plane" listed on eBay. The plane looked very nice but the proportions were wrong. The seller admitted it was a cut-down #7. It sold for $385 (not a mis-print) to a collector of odd-ball one of a kind tools.