PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 6" x 9" Belt Sander

Andrew Kertesz
12-29-2013, 6:54 AM
I see on the Sears site there are mixed reviews on their 6" belt/9" disc benchtop sander. Does anybody here have experience with this sander? I just don't have the $600 for the Jet or other comparable model.

John McClanahan
12-29-2013, 8:31 AM
I have one. I don't have any complaints. It's for a hobby level woodworker. The same basic machine is also sold sy Menards, and other places. The older sanders that show up on craigslist look stronger built, but are less compact and lack dust control. The supplied dust bag only catches a small part of the dust created. A shopvac or dust collector is really needed. Power is OK, but it can be loaded down if you press down too hard on the belt.

I found mine in the recondition tool department. The sales person told me that there would be a 20% off sale on Saturday morning, so I waited it out. Out the door, including sales tax was under $125 (gloat). :D:D:D

John

HANK METZ
12-29-2013, 8:39 AM
For a long time now, the 6X9 sanders have been ground out by the same factory and badged for whoever wants an economical entry level machine. This is not to say it won't be great for your needs but they really do go for cheap used, I routinely see them on C/L for about $40- $60. On older models they do indeed have a separate motor and belt drive, that would be my choice between the two types. The image below (a 4x36) is going for $45 asking today, probably a take home at $40:

Richard Coers
12-29-2013, 4:43 PM
Probably the same thing as Harbor Freight's. It's on sale for $200, including stand. No idea about the quality.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-48-inch-belt-and-9-inch-disc-combination-sander-6852.html

John McClanahan
12-29-2013, 8:44 PM
That Harbor Freight is not the same. It is like one of the models that Grizzly sells, only cheaper.

John