PDA

View Full Version : Bench Question

Mark Almon
12-28-2013, 6:05 PM
Just wanted to get some advice/opinions about a bench. I now have sort of a Frankenstein bench. The base is an old 6 drawer military desk that I was given. it is all metal and built like a tank. it is extremely heavy and does not rack or flex at all.
For now I am making do with a get by plywood top, but I would like to have a real workbench top. I am getting started with traditional wood working tools, and I am trying to decide if I should try to make this metal desk work or try to get/build a more traditional bench. I do have the metal desk mounted on a base with casters and I can roll it out when working. I am limited to working in a garage and will have to roll whatever type of bench I have out when working then back out of the way for cars, etc... just wanted some guidance on whether this hybrid bench idea is worth pursuing. The desk does not ever attempt to move even though it is on casters. It is so heavy and has enough mass that it is stable. I could attach a bench top with angled brackets under the bench top, or drill directly though the top and use counter sinking bolts that would be below the bench surface. please let me know what y'all think.

Roy Lindberry
12-28-2013, 7:23 PM
I just built my workbench (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?209157-Workbench-Photo-Op) a few months ago, and the base was by far the cheapest section and required far less work than the top. The top is where all of the work and money was at. If you are going to build the top anyway, I think you might as well build a base that is meant to fully support its functionality.

You also should consider what features you want on a bench. For instance, if you want a leg vise, it will be very hard to attach it to the existing desk. A sliding deadman would likely also be difficult. Just my two cents.

Jim Matthews
12-28-2013, 8:34 PM
If the metal section is directly on a basement slab, remove the casters and put it on a rubber mat or some sort of vapor barrier to inhibit rust.

I have a similar design for my bench, and like having the mass of tools under the table.
Lighting is a problem - if the lamps are overhead I need a flashlight to see what's in the drawers.

A proper top could always be transferred to a traditional base later, if you need to make move.

Where are you on this spinning ball of mud, anyhow?

Jim Koepke
12-28-2013, 9:00 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the Creek. To repeat what Jim Matthews asks, where do you call home?

What happens to the desk if you build a full bench? Will there be room to keep both?

There are a lot of considerations one has to ponder before getting to a bench build.

Some desks have a removable top. This might make it easier to use the old base with a bench top.

A bench is just a tool to hold work. However that is done to satisfy the needs of an individual is what makes variety in this world.

jtk