PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton Center saver

Peter Lamb
12-28-2013, 2:04 PM
I would like to chat with someone that has experience with the Micro and and/or the
Small Center Saver. Kel McNaughton suggest Craft Supplies. I would far rather a turner
that has used one. I have a Delta 46-460. Telephone would be prefered method,
Thanks in advance
Peter

Michael Kellough
12-28-2013, 2:27 PM
I used SearchTempest (http://www.searchtempest.com/) to find a set. Called the guy (2000 miles away), sent a PO Money Order and he sent the stuff as soon as the MO arrived.

Peter Lamb
12-28-2013, 3:06 PM
Michael, Thanks and good luck with the Oliver

Harry Robinette
12-28-2013, 9:04 PM
Peter give me a call any day after 4:00. I have all but the micro and really like the little ones.
330-221-4779

Michael Mason
12-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I was just going to start a thread on this. I have the 46-460 also. I have read for 2 days on info about the kelton center saver. The delta has a 5/8" tool post, and I would like to get the standard set with a couple of the mini knives so that I will not have to upgrade in the future. I have seen pics and threads about people using the standard set on the 46-460, where did they get the tool post? Thanks

Peter Lamb
12-29-2013, 1:31 PM
According to Tel McNaughton Craft Supply US sells the Micro. The Micro comes with the 5/8 post according to Kel. I don't yet know if Craft Supplies sells all the blades
separately. I will talk with Craft Supply tomorrow and post the outcome. Where did see the threads and videos? Does anyone have any experience with the Micro or Small on a medi?Thanks for the interest.

Reed Gray
12-30-2013, 12:13 PM
I have used all the different blades at one time or another. For me, the micro blades are for coring much smaller pieces of 'special' wood where you do not want to waste even the smallest piece. They are not practical for standard bowl turning. The mini set will do fine for most mini/12 inch lathes. Having 1 hp is helpful. I have cored on my mini lathe, just to say I did it. Same process, but I do tend to use higher speeds, in the 800 rpm range, and on the low speed range pulleys. Craft Supplies does sell individual blades.

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
12-30-2013, 3:59 PM
I rarely use any but the middle curved blade in the sets. I have the mini, standard, and large. They basically follow the same curve. I cored a number of bowls with the standard set on my old Delta 450 with a 1 hp. motor, but that was a much heavier lathe.