PDA

View Full Version : Ipad vs Microsoft Surface 2

Howard Rosenberg
12-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Anybody here with personal knowledge of either or both of these tablets?

I'd sure appreciate any insight you can offer.

Howard

Matt Meiser
12-28-2013, 12:51 PM
I had a Dell Windows 8 tablet sitting on my desk for a few months. Same OS, different hardware. Its not a perfect world yet. A lot of Windows applications aren't touch-optimized and there's a big disparity in the number of apps in the App Stores for each. On the other hand the Surface is a full PC in tablet form, assuming you don't buy an RT (don't.) If I was buying a new machine today, I'd buy a Surface Pro 2 with 8GB of ram and set up the docking station with a real keyboard, monitor, and mouse on my desk, then use it as a tablet for casual use and it would be my one machine. Might even get a second dock for out in the shop and carry it back and forth.

I bought an iPad mini to replace my iPad 2 this fall because the 2 is getting handed down to my daughter (assuming she can fix her science grade in the next 3 weeks :rolleyes:) and I LOVE the mini form factor for a casual use device. My daughter got me a keyboard for it for Christmas which will make it a little more functional as a meeting-notes device.

Edit: I should mention that as of Christmas morning we are a 3 iPad/3 iPhone house. But everyone has and uses their Windows laptop still. No Office on the iPad and the apps that exist for that just don't cut it. No Sketchup and Cutlist Plus (at least editing) for me either.

Bruce Page
12-28-2013, 12:56 PM
We have 2 iPads in the household and love them. As is the case for most Apple products, they just work, and work well.

Lee Reep
12-28-2013, 1:02 PM
Well, this is likely to degrade into a "Tastes Great ... Less Filling" argument, but here goes!

I bought my wife a iPad last Christmas. She had no Apple experience/understanding/bias. She absolutely loves it. It is so easy to use, she just started playing with it. At the time, I had an iPod and an old iPhone issued from work. In April, we both went to the iPhone 5, and she was hooked on the iPhone immediately because it was like having a small iPad with a phone in it. Plus, with iCloud, her iPad and iPhone synch with each other.

We mostly use the iPad to look up stuff when we are in the family room, so it is far easier to use than my small laptop PC, since I tend to use that with a mouse. I understand that the Surface 2 is more tablet than notebook/laptop, so perhaps the distinction is less clear in choosing. I also like the iPad for browsing the forums and watching woodworking videos on YouTube. It is just so convenient to use.

I worked for HP for years, and had my share of Windows-based laptops. I've also had a number of those laptops end up getting junked. I'll admit it, I'm moving to the Apple camp, and giving up on Windows-based "stuff". All our Apple stuff just works.

One more big plus. My wife used to ask me a lot about how to do something on a laptop, because of Windows. She rarely asks me a question about using her iPad or iPhone.

There, I said it. Yes, I have become an Apple bigot. Let the flames begin ... :p .

Cary Falk
12-28-2013, 1:24 PM
My wife has had an ipad for a couple of years. It has been the only apple product that has been trouble free. I got a samsung galaxy tab3 for Christmas. I love it so far. It works just like my galaxy s2 phone. It is much cheaper than the ipad so that might be something to consider. I have heard bad things about windows based tablets.

johnny means
12-28-2013, 1:25 PM
We have two Surface RTs in my family. The main draw was having a full office suite that can actually be used in the real world. There is a definite lack of available apps for the RT. This isn't a problem with the Pro, which will run virtually alll modern Windows applications. I absolutely adore the Metro interface, my wife thinks it's the worst thing since Adolph Hitler. I think Apple is dropping the ball with touch interface, but then again they do have a history of getting in late and somehow looking like they invented the game. IMO, If you're looking for a small computer that doubles as a tablet the Surface is the way to go. If you want a tablet for entertainment use and don't mind Apples closed ecosystem, the I-Pad is much better situated. If you're one to use legacy tech, Microsoft has a much better habit of supporting not so new products.

Michael Kellough
12-28-2013, 2:22 PM
I've been an Apple guy since the first Mac, so far back I can't remember the year.

I want an iPad but they're still a little too costly for me.

I've been trying out a Kindle Fire HDX 8" for a couple of weeks during a 30 day trial offer.
It convinces me that the other guys can make good stuff too so now I'm interested in the Samsung Note tablets.

The Samsung Note tablets lets you draw on the surface with a stylus, something I've been wanting to do for decades.

Kelby Van Patten
12-28-2013, 6:01 PM
We have 3 Surface RTs in our family. We love them. We have had no problems with bugginess or any hardware issues. Having Office is a huge plus, and a necessity given what I do for a living. As for apps, ask yourself what apps you actually use. In my case, the things I actually use are all available for our Surface RTs (including Office). I thought I would want a Surface Pro, but after using an RT, getting a Pro has not been a priority.

I may be picking up a CNC machine this year, and if I do, I'll get a Pro so I can do some CAD work while sitting in my comfy chair. But so far, I haven't needed it.

Tom Stenzel
12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
The best advice I can think of hasn't changed in decades:

Figure out what you expect of the device.

Find the software that will accomplish this.

Buy the hardware that will run the software you use.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I got a 7" Galaxy tab 3 for Christmas. My wife's criteria for buying it? After an amputation and over a year of chemo, I have a distressing tendency to drop things. So she bought something she thought I could use and get from place to place without wrecking it. She seems to have made a good call.

-Tom Stenzel

Lee Reep
12-28-2013, 11:13 PM
When I first bought the iPad for my wife, i wondered if the lack of USB would be an issue. Not at all -- had it now for 1 year. I really cannot remember the last time I used a thumb drive. Most of the info I want to move around I do with Dropbox. All our machines have Dropbox -- Windows or iOS. When I need a home file at work, or vice versa, there it is on Dropbox. I have a Nikon DSLR which uses the old Compact Flash cards, so those get plugged into the PC when necessary, but most of my picture taking is on done on my iPhone, and Dropbox uploads the Camera Roll automatically, so I can post or email pictures easily from any machine. Sure, I'd like to see a USB port on the iPad, but frankly, for the way we use the iPad, which is probably pretty typical, having no USB port just is not a big deal.

BTW, I am glad that this thread has not turned into a flame war, like I suggested ... :) And, to be completely upfront, I am using a Windows laptop to heap all this praise on Apple. (But my next laptop will be a MacBook.)

Bruce Page
12-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Ipad vs Microsoft Surface 2

Anybody here with personal knowledge of either or both of these tablets?

I'd sure appreciate any insight you can offer.

Howard

Folks, the OP asked a simple question. Please stay on topic.

bobby milam
12-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that goes back to the what works best for you situation. I too like dropbox and use it all the time but I fly a lot and even with internet on the plane, I can't put movies on dropbox and use them. My needs aren't the norm as is the want to use vectric on the go. They've already said that they have no plans to make it available on an ipad or android. If it wasn't for that one reason, then I would not even consider getting a windows based tablet. I'm perfectly happy with the android software that I use right now. If someone is wanting to use apps then ipad is definitely the way to go over the surface. Even on my android, the only apps that I really have on it are games.

Different strokes for different folks.

David Masters
12-29-2013, 8:43 AM
Like Lee, I worked for one of the large computer companies that defined the Wintel PC. I'm one who has drifted into the Apple camp after 25+ years of using DOS/Windows based products. I get a lot of questions about what desktop, laptop, or tablet people should buy. I tell every one of them that you should define what you want or need to accomplish with the device before purchasing one. Tablets are a product of design trade-offs, and Apple, Google (Android) and Microsoft have each approached the tablet market a little differently. Microsoft believes their strength is a full function Office product, a familiar interface to their desktop product (Surface RT), or can run all Windows programs (Surface 2). Most people say they need the full power of Microsoft Office, but I find that their needs are pretty basic after questioning them on the function they want. If that is so, then you'll find the Apple office suite more than adequate for your needs. You'll also find it easier to use than Microsoft Office. At this point in time, few Windows programs are engineered to function using a tablet style interface, so I don't see the ability to run all Windows programs as a big reason to chose the Microsoft Surface 2. For the difference in price and the trade-offs you'll have to put up with, you'd be better off with a laptop (the laptop being cheaper than the Surface 2). There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Surface RT. Most people who have asked me about them, don't realize it can't run the majority of Windows programs.

Apple's approach has been to simplify the interface of their tablets and phones, and to define a tightly controlled (many say closed) system in which applications are reviewed and sold only through Apple's online store. The advantage to this controlled system is that it reduces the likelihood that a malware application or virus is going to be installed on your iPad. The disadvantage is that applications that could improve your use of the iPad, are not allowed by Apple because they violate Apple's developer interface. I've never felt restricted by Apple's system, and the third party application support is the best of all tablets on the market.

The Kindle is an Android based tablet that uses the Amazon marketplace. The Kindle mirrors the Apple model for obtaining applications and content. My wife loves her Kindle and wouldn't consider an iPad. Her needs are basic and the Kindle does everything she wants. It's easy for her to search and purchase what she needs, and she can share books with my daughters who also use Kindles.

John McClanahan
12-29-2013, 9:11 AM
I've owned an iPad2 for 2 years. It is well designed for its intended purpose, information consumption. I have only played on a Surface Pro at Wally World. It is noticeably heavier than my iPad. It gets rather warm when on. The screen does not rotate when you turn the tablet to portrait. I really like the auto rotate of my iPad. For me, the screen on the Surface is too small to run apps side by side and still read. Microsoft touts the real keyboard, but doesn't tell you it a $100 option. To use the kickstand, the tablet must be sat on an even surface. The Surface seems more of a laptop with detachable keyboard. I feel the lack of a USB port is mostly marketing hype. I have a USB adaptor for my iPad, but the OS is not designed for USB, so tis use is rather limiting. My iPad came with OS ver. 4.x, has been updated to 7.x with no noticeable performance decrease.

And last, I am a BobCAD user, but I can't imagine being productive with CAD on any device with a tablet sized screen.

John

Frank Trinkle
12-29-2013, 10:41 AM
The following graph should say it all. Apple OWNS the tablet market and for good reason. In my opinion, Microsoft is trying one last version of the Surface to try and gain market share, but failing that, they will dump it like Blackberry did with theirs. There is also apps to consider. There are hundreds of thousands of apps for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. Those include Pages which is the word processing software that can save as Office DOCX files. The same holds true for Numbers saving for Excel, and Keynote that can save as Powerpoint. iPhoto is now on the iPad, as is iMovie for working with your video files. Skype, Facetime, and others for VOIP calling both voice and video; new Apple mapping that is now AWESOME!. Best mail system in the cloud; great security features, and FREE....yes FREE operating system updates for both IOS (iPad, iPhone) as well as their computers now.

Buying a Microsoft-based tablet is simply going to handicap you, and will greatly restrict what you can do. We won't even go into the "registry" and blue screens of death. Apple products JUST WORK!

Oh....and one more thing.... when you purchase an app from Apple, you can run it on ALL your registered Apple products without paying again. You pay once and that's it...and most of the time the apps are far cheaper than equivalent programs for Windows. We have six iPads of various flavors, as well as six iPhones, two iPods, one iPod Touch, three MacBook Pro laptops, one Macbook Air, a 27" iMac, a Mac Pro Desktop, Apple TV's, Apple Routers, and miscellaneous other Apple products. We converted in 2007 thanks to Windows Vista, and have been extremely happy ever since! (I confess we still have a single Windows computer that is dedicated to a Canon large format photo printer for a program that determines the cost of ink and paper in order to determine actual production cost....and Canon has promised to create a Mac version of the program soon, so one final Windows computer going away!)

IOS 7 is fantastic, and OSX Mavericks is just simply AWESOME! Yes, I've become an Appleholic, and damn happy for having done so!

Cheers,
Frank

Matt Meiser
12-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Pages might open a .doc or .docx file but that doesn't mean it won't destroy the formatting or even be readable in my experience. You aren't going to have a ton of success editing a complex doc or complex spreadsheet in Numbers. Same is true of MS's iPhone office app. Ability to run Office and other Windows applications is where the Surface's pros lie.

I haven't played around with the web based Office apps as a workaround but they require the document to be in the cloud and that's a big no-no a lot of the time in my work world.

On the other hand, Office hasn't been optimized for touch use and some functions are not real friendly on a tablet. Supposedly that's coming, and maybe to the iPad too.

Frank Trinkle
12-29-2013, 11:54 AM
If you're trying to do complex docs or spreadsheets, a tablet is NOT the way to go anyway. You need a laptop with a powerful processor, full screen, and a true keyboard. And for what it's worth, Microsoft Office IS available for Mac OSX.

Cary Falk
12-29-2013, 12:19 PM
On thing that I don't think I saw mentioned was printing. When my wife got her ipad a few years ago it was a royal pain to get it to print from our network printers. You were suppose to be able to load some drivers and be a done deal. That never worked. We ended up buying another printer that was ipad compatable but it is a pain at best. If the apple croud would chime with a better solution, I would appreciate it. As been said before, a tablet is a poor excuse for a laptop. It is great for surfing the net and playing games but that is about the extent of it.

Judson Green
12-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I've been an Apple guy since the first Mac, so far back I can't remember the year.

I want an iPad but they're still a little too costly for me.

I've been trying out a Kindle Fire HDX 8" for a couple of weeks during a 30 day trial offer.
It convinces me that the other guys can make good stuff too so now I'm interested in the Samsung Note tablets.

The Samsung Note tablets lets you draw on the surface with a stylus, something I've been wanting to do for decades.

A bit off topic but you may want to try out a Nvidia Tetra Note 7. Has the fastest processor in a 7-inch tablet, front facing speakers, SD slot, Micro HDMI, Micro USB, and the best part a stylus. All that for under $200.

A happy consumer of a Tetra Note 7

Brian Elfert
12-29-2013, 12:29 PM
The editorial cartoon artist where I work uses an iPad to draw all his cartoons now. No idea what software he uses. My employer uses all iPad and iPhone products so I only have exposure to the iOS world.

iOS devices are great if you already own an iPhone or iPod since they work the same and can share apps. Some people like the tiles on the Windows devices. It is a matter of personal choice. My co-worker had a Windows phone and really liked it, but when he went to get a new phone recently he thought he would get another Windows phone and ended up buying an iPhone instead. (He already has an iPad 2, but he hasn't used it much since getting a smartphone.)

I have a company iPhone and my boss was texting me yesterday asking about the status of fixing a problem. I didn't reply on my iPhone and used my computer to send him texts via email. It is way easier to type on a real keyboard than on a phone or tablet.

John McClanahan
12-29-2013, 2:43 PM
I have a company iPhone and my boss was texting me yesterday asking about the status of fixing a problem. I didn't reply on my iPhone and used my computer to send him texts via email. It is way easier to type on a real keyboard than on a phone or tablet.

I agree. I prefer to use my 27" iMac when possible. The Microsoft ads make it sound like the Surface is a good replacement for a full sized computer.

John

Matt Meiser
12-29-2013, 2:52 PM
The one I'd buy is--Core i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB storage. That's the same specs as the laptop I bought last winter. But I'd plug in a real monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse for serious use. For many people one of the 4GB versions would be plenty. And that's not a small tablet so not as good for reading and stuff like that so I'd probably still have a lower end 7" tablet like my 16gb iPad mini. If I had an Android phone I'd probably have an Android tablet.

Brian Elfert
12-29-2013, 3:20 PM
I agree. I prefer to use my 27" iMac when possible. The Microsoft ads make it sound like the Surface is a good replacement for a full sized computer.

The Surface Pro runs full Windows 8.1 and can replace a laptop or desktop running Windows. The regular Surface runs Windows RT 8.1 and can't really replace a laptop/desktop for a lot of people.