PDA

View Full Version : Wood for a fork

bobby milam
12-27-2013, 11:34 PM
I had a request from a relative to make a wooden fork that they had broken from a set they purchased in Switzerland. They are requesting bamboo because they believe that it would be strong and water resistant. They say that they use the forks for cooking. If I can not find bamboo they are willing to take whatever wood that I choose that will be more water resistant. Also, the one fork now has changed to 10. I'm not having any luck finding bamboo locally so far. I thought about bamboo floor tiles if I could find them unfinished but haven't tried that yet. Anyone have an idea of where to find bamboo boards? What other type of wood would you recommend for this? The fork is about 7" X 2" X 1/8". I'm thinking that the best way to do this would be to cut them out and make a jig and bend them.

I'm open to any suggestions as I am not sure of which would would be best to choose considering toxicity also. I've heard maple and birch.

Here is a picture of what they sent me.

Roy Harding
12-28-2013, 1:50 AM
A friend of mine makes salad serving fork and spoon sets out of alder, but they aren't supposed to be used for hot/boiling items.

bobby milam
12-28-2013, 2:30 AM
I don't know what kind of cooking they use them for or why they care so much about them. They look pretty plain to me.

phil harold
12-28-2013, 7:19 AM
I have some spoons and spatulas made out of bamboo and the hold up better than regular wooden spoons
maybe you have to grow you own bamboo

Joe Kieve
12-28-2013, 9:02 AM
Don't remember where I got it, but I have an olive wood spoon that I use to cook peanut brittle. It gets pretty hot, then soak in water to get the sugary stuff off. Still holding up after 10 years.
If you could find it in large enough pieces, I think olive wood would work.

Jamie Buxton
12-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Here's are sources for 6" diameter bamboo poles -- http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboopoles.html?gclid=CNSRhrir07sCFa4-Mgod7W0AOA#4-inch-natural-full , http://www.beautifulbamboo.com/poles.php

The second one offers green poles as well as dry ones, and discusses how many poles can fit in a FedEx shipment https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tVsApvFXZgDdHN8Es7S9Dsg&single=true&gid=0&output=html

You show forks that are flat. Bamboo is naturally a cylinder. Dunno if you can start with green bamboo, flatten it, and wait for it to dry flat.

johnny means
12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
A great source for cheap bamboo is discount stores. Marshals, TJ Maxx and similar stores. Their kitchen departments are always full of discounted cutting boards and other small woodwork items that can easily be repurposed. Often for less than the raw material would cost at a retail level.

FYI, the bamboo used for lumber is not the hollow cylinder stuff, most are familiar with. It's solid through and through and can be worked pretty much like any other solid lumber. Keep in mind, it is very rough on planer and jointer knives because of its high silica content. I've had one project completely destroy a BSN set of 20 knives.

bobby milam
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, the bamboo that I am searching for is the stuff that has already been cut, dried and glued up into a board. The cutting board would be a good idea if they are cheap enough. It looks like I am going to tell them bamboo isn't going to happen and just move on to a hardwood of some sort.

russell lusthaus
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
What you are looking for are called "bamboo planks" and they usually come 2 inches wide, by 8 feet in length. I get mine from Franks Bamboo (I think Cali) (use google) but there is also a place in NJ as well as one in Florida. Delivery is fast and quick. Good Luck.

Russ

jeffrey bailey
12-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Check your local department store (Walmart) for bamboo cutting boards. They can be found in the housewares department.

bobby milam
12-30-2013, 8:44 PM
I gave up on the bamboo. I found 1/8" maple which is the correct thickness so will cnc them out of it and make a jig to do some bending.