PDA

View Full Version : New Shop in the New Home!!! (Long)

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2005, 6:42 PM
Well, since our arrival in California this past March, I have not been able to play with my tools, including the new Uni. Well, life has changed!!! Two and a half weeks ago we moved into our new home (We've rented since March). Ever since, I've been busting to find time to get my shop put together. And here it is!

In order to even get working, I first had to paint the garage and add some light. I put three 8 foot florescent lights in (I spent a few hours in the attic doing the electrical when it was a 100+ degrees outside. Not advisable :eek: ). I also had to change the dryer outlet to a 220 receptacle. Then I finally uncrated my Uni and the fun began.

I used Norm's plans and Steve King's posts to help me out with the bench. My main problem with the bench was the wacky floors in our garage. They go every which way. It's enough to drive you nuts! So while the bench isn't the most square piece of furniture I've ever made, the drawers slide smoothly and life is good.

I have a hole right now where the router plate is supposed to be. I bought the Rousseau Router Lift LS. Unfortunately, they sent me the wrong version, so I'm waiting for the model 3002 that will fit my new Bosch dedicated router. I'm also waiting for the Rousseau fence which is back ordered. Anyway, I made a false drawer front for the front of the router cabinet. And I mounted a power switch to the side. The two screws you see next to the switch hold the height adjuster for the router lift.

The clamp rack is your basic, no frills and no wheels version that many of you have. It does the trick nicely. After moving the clamps for the 200th time to get around them, I decided I should put the cabinet on hold and build this first.

Finally, I was going to put up some peg board to hold plans and CAD drawings until my lovely wife suggested using the garage fridge. Sometimes someone else's common sense comes in quite handy :p

At some point I'd like to put in some real dust collection. I also have to do something with my planer. But right now I'm good enough to start chipping away at that honey-do list that's pretty substantial!

Well, I'm a long way from St. John, Indiana, but it is starting to feel like home again!

Thanks for looking!

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2005, 6:44 PM
Here are the rest of the pics. Sorry for the mass amounts. I'm making up for lost time :p :D

Chris Padilla
06-10-2005, 7:06 PM
Hmmm, a little TOO clean in there for me! hahaha Good to see you getting back into gear, Jason!

My remodel is just barely puttering along...I'm working on cleaning up the floor to paint it. Dunno if you even want to consider that but take several minutes and waltz through this thread a bit and see what you think....Ucoat-it is good stuff. :)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26777

Hey, when we gonna hook-up?? :D

Michael Ballent
06-10-2005, 7:09 PM
You suck :D... Look at all that space and I agree with Chris, WAY too clean ;)

Corey Hallagan
06-10-2005, 7:14 PM
looks like a great set up you have there and some nice tools as well. Enjoy your new home!

Corey

John Preston
06-10-2005, 7:28 PM
It's got a clock in it!

I can see having a timer, so you can get a ring when your glue-up is dry, but you are supposed to be in there losing track of time, not keeping track.

Or maybe if the clock is marked only with the time the local hardwood distributor closes, that would be okay.

Okay, Okay, I'm just jealous.

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2005, 7:38 PM
I'm working on cleaning up the floor to paint it.

Hey, when we gonna hook-up?? :D

Chris, what is it with California and BMW's anyway? I move in and come to find out that three of my immediate neighbors have BMW's? Can I be Californian with a mere Chevy? :p

I was going to paint the floor as well, but I figured I'd rather have a new dinning table and chairs (first project on the docket :D ).

Yea, we need to hook up. It's been crazy here since we moved in with buying a house, but I'm still planning on making the trip. We'll wait till it gets back into the hundreds so I can have some bay-area relief and some In-n-Out :p

Vaughn McMillan
06-10-2005, 7:43 PM
Call me suspicious, but I'm thinkin' that's just a cardboard cutout of a shop -- it's WAY too clean to be a real shop. The drawers are too neat, there's too much space, and heck -- the router power cord still has the wire tie on it. Even though they're clean and unmarked (and possibly fake props for your little charade), those are some nice cabinets. I like the dropped section for the CMS.

You should seek professional (or even amateur) help for this clean shop syndrome. I'm sure there are plenty of SMC'ers here who'd be willing to come over and help you dirty the place up a bit if you want. ;)

Nice work Jason. We'll be looking forward to seeing some projects out of there.

- Vaughn

(And P.S., welcome to California - the land of fruits and nuts.)

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2005, 7:44 PM
Michael - Beleive me, you should have seen it at around 7 this morning. There was plenty of dust to go around.

John - I agree. I really have no excuse for putting it up - especially one so big. Mea culpa :D

Joe Mioux
06-10-2005, 7:46 PM
Jason:

YOur new space looks wonderful. I really like the cabinets...neat clean and orderly!

Glad to see you settling in.

Joe

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2005, 7:50 PM
(And P.S., welcome to California - the land of fruits and nuts.)

Vaughn, good to meet you. Welcome to CMS. Rummor has it, if you're not one of the above choices, you may be a flake. I'm having a bit of an identity crisis.

BTW, I'm no dummy. I only showed you the clean drawers!!! That's the power of being the photographer. You see only what I want you to see. :D :p

Keith Christopher
06-10-2005, 8:07 PM
It is most certainly missing scrap wood and lotsa chips and dust ! I know you'll be cranking back up in full swing with that setup. Good to have you back up and running Jason, you produce wonderful pieces !

Keith

Frank Pellow
06-10-2005, 8:26 PM
That looks like a great shop Jason. I assume that you are never going to let any vehicle into your shop. Am I correct?

Richard Wolf
06-10-2005, 9:20 PM
Neatness is a sign of a sick mind, LOL.
Good luck and enjoy.

Richard

Jim Becker
06-10-2005, 9:34 PM
Wow, Jason, the shop is ready to go and there is still room for projects! Kewel!! Congratulations on the new digs. Looks great, including the nice cabinet. 'Can't wait to see the Shaker style creations coming along soon...hint hint...

And don't worry about those beemers, they leave the regular gas available for your consumption. ;) (I'm starting to research and think about "family" vehicles and as soon as I see that "premium" word, the model gets crossed off the list...)

Von Bickley
06-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Jason,
Looks like you are ready to work... Great looking shop. :)

Chad Pater
06-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Very nice. That Uni doesn't know yet how fortunate it is to have landed at your house! I have a feeling it will know soon. Can't wait to see some projects.
Stay cool
Chad

Norman Hitt
06-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Jason, looks like you're settling in Nicely, and the shop looks Really Great. Don't worry about the Fruits, nuts, and Flakes thing, just tell them you're an "Eccentric Artisan". (My Definition; Eccentric= one who would Never own a BMW over a Chevy, Artisan=combination of Artist, designer and Craftsman, whose only association with fruits, nuts and flakes is producing, along with his art, a byproduct of "Flakes"/chips from his chosen artistic medium, which of course, is mostly Fruitwood and Nutwood. :D :D

Looks like you're about ready to be off and running on that Honey-do List now. Congratulations on what looks to have been a very successful relocation. We'll be looking foreward to your forthcoming projects.

Jason Tuinstra
06-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Everyone - thanks for the comments. Next week I hope to get some cherry and start on that list. We'll see how that turns out. But Jim's right, it'll be Shaker!

I assume that you are never going to let any vehicle into your shop. Am I correct?

Frank, acutally the Chevy full size conversion van is in there right now. Everything is on wheels so it all moves nicely out of the way. When I'm in the middle of a project, the agreement is that the van stays outside. When I'm not, like now, the shop needs to be clean enough to park inside. Fine with me. A car's paint goes quick around here if you're not careful - so I'm told and have seen.

Tom Stovell
06-11-2005, 1:08 AM
Those neat, well-organized, thoughtful shops is like choking on another dose of inadequacy. Your shop is what they should all look like. My shop is a wreck!

Yours really looks nice. It's great to have some space--enjoy!!

Tom

Mark Singer
06-11-2005, 1:14 AM
Very neat and organized....you can't loose a pizza in that shop!

Dan Forman
06-11-2005, 5:06 AM
Nice, clean, uncluttered (for now), looks like a great place to create.

Dan

Alan Turner
06-11-2005, 5:18 AM
Jaspn.
Good set up, and I am sure you are glad to be back to making a bit of dust. I hope this relocation will not have cost you your special touch with things Shaker. California Shaker? Not sure about that.

Brian Hale
06-11-2005, 5:56 AM
Looks like a Great place to work Jason! Congrats on the new house and shop.

Brian

Thomas Prondzinski
06-11-2005, 8:29 AM
Congrats on the new shop,glad to see you'll be making dust soon. Looking forward too seeing pics.

Tom

Kelly C. Hanna
06-11-2005, 8:56 AM
Great lookin' shop and I see you have the olbigatory fridge ready for refreshments close by! I like your cabinet...looks very organized. Congrats on getting moved in!!

John A. Williams
06-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Very nice work! You have been busy! I love the cabinet/saw station.

John

Christian Aufreiter
06-11-2005, 4:46 PM
Wow, very nice, clean and excellently-organized shop!
Is there any daylight when the door is closed?

Regards,

Christian

Jason Tuinstra
06-11-2005, 6:04 PM
Is there any daylight when the door is closed?

Nope. The garage door is windowless. But the three 8 foot lights I have in there combined with the white walls makes for a very bright work environment when the door is closed.

Tyler Howell
06-11-2005, 7:37 PM
Very Nice Jason. I'm sure the new church ladies are waiting for a great project. Enjoy.:cool:

Ron Jones near Indy
06-11-2005, 7:45 PM
Great looking shop, Jason. I'll bet the California sun and air will have you missing the Indiana winters before you realize it. ;) May your new church experience/home/shop/ be all you expect and more!

Jim Barrett
06-11-2005, 8:43 PM
Nope. The garage door is windowless. But the three 8 foot lights I have in there combined with the white walls makes for a very bright work environment when the door is closed.

Jason,
I replaced the upper panel of my garage door with a windowed section. I called a local rep and had it replaced. It made a world of difference. Something you may want to check out.

Jim

Jason Tuinstra
06-11-2005, 8:59 PM
Tyler: Ha, ha... Yea, we don't have a church building here, so there's no ladies bathroom for me to docorate... yet. But I'm sure I'll get tapped for something. Good to hear from you again!

Ron: We're close to the Sierra Nevada's. On a good day (i.e. when we don't get all the bay area polution hanging out down here - thanks Chris!) we can see the snow capped peaks. It's nice to know it's there if we need it :D My wife and I enjoy downhill sking, so I'm sure we'll see snow at some point.

Jim: Thanks for the head's up! I didn't know you could just replace a section of the door. Hmmm....

Kent Cori
06-12-2005, 6:39 PM
Great shop Jason. I particularly like the slide out spindle sander.

Nice collection of clamps too. Did they mate and multiply while in the storage boxes> :D

Tom Hamilton
06-12-2005, 8:08 PM
Hi Jason:

Great shop and it it is in a great little town. We moved back to Houston in 03 from Hanford.

Hope you enjoy the concerts on the square and the Superior Dairy Ice Cream as we did.

If Holt Lumber is still open you will enjoy the selection and service.

Best regards, Tom Hamilton

Michael Gibbons
06-12-2005, 8:48 PM
Are you sure it's not "San Hanford" California? Just kidding, looks great!

Mike

John Miliunas
06-12-2005, 9:35 PM
Hey Jason, very nice but, just in case I didn't catch someone else saying it, that shop is way, WAY too clean!:D Hey seriously, enjoy it and I, for one, can't wait to see the first project cranked outta' there! You do some magnificent work and I'm not entirely sure how you can improve on it, but that beaut of a shop will certainly help make the process more enjoyable!:) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Jason: Good to see you're getting set up and soon will be producing another one of your great, high quality pieces. You and I have many of the same tools (except for your new UniSaw) but my projects never finish up looking as nice as yours. Seriously, happy for you and looking forward to your next masterpiece!!:) :D

Jason Tuinstra
06-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Tom: I didn't even know there was a lumber place in Hanford. I checked out a place in Fresno that looked pretty good, but I'll have to look up Holt - it's a bit closer :) And yes, you'll be happy to know that we've discovered Superior Dairy. Our daughter was there just last night. Not a bad way to end a hot day in the valley! Any other places for lumber and tools near by that you know of? I haven't seen much.

John: I pledge to you, a fellow SMCer, I have every intention of making a total and complete mess of the place just as soon as I land some cherry. I promise!

Jerry: Thanks for your kind words. You're a great encouragment along with everyone here at SMC. It's been awhile since I've built much of anything with all the moving. I just hope I still remember how to build furniture - and my tongue isn't even that far in my cheek when I say that.

Mike Scoggins
06-13-2005, 1:13 PM
Jason,

I'm a little slow in my response (been kinda busy doin' other things), but I've been waiting for "the post" regarding your new shop set-up following your move. Congratulations! I'm sure it's a good feeling to see that new Uni "chomping at the bit" for it's first ride with the master, Tuinstra. Your router table/cabinets look to be very functional -- nice job.

Looks like you've got a great place to make more of your masterful pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I hope that all is well with you, your family and your church in the new surroundings.

Mike

Sam Blasco
06-13-2005, 1:54 PM
I give it two months before it begins to look like it should, but it looks like you are off to a good start. What's first? I don't see a work bench in there.

Mike Ramsey
06-13-2005, 2:14 PM
Jason,
It looks like you forgot to take a picture of the most important machine in any
shop, your lathe! :rolleyes: Great looking shop!

Chris Padilla
06-13-2005, 3:05 PM
And don't worry about those beemers, they leave the regular gas available for your consumption. ;) (I'm starting to research and think about "family" vehicles and as soon as I see that "premium" word, the model gets crossed off the list...)

You wanna play, you gotta pay! :D :D

Jason Tuinstra
06-13-2005, 5:20 PM
Jason,
It looks like you forgot to take a picture of the most important machine in any
shop, your lathe! :rolleyes: Great looking shop!

What's that? :confused: :D :p

Jason Tuinstra
06-13-2005, 5:30 PM
Mike: Thanks your conern and your remembering our church. Things are going well so far. It's starting to get busy and that's a real blessing.

Sam: Well, I'm kind of going to build a work bench... I guess you could call it that anyway. I'm building a kitchen table for the family. And if you knew us, you'd know we do a lot of work at the table :p . LOML is a great cook! After the table is built, I'm going to attempt to build 8 chairs to match. We'll see. I've spent hours designing and drawing full scale plans and reading everything I can on chairs. I'm a bit nervous, but I'd really love to tackle it.

John Keane
06-13-2005, 8:31 PM
Nifty cabinetry

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Jaspn.
Good set up, and I am sure you are glad to be back to making a bit of dust. I hope this relocation will not have cost you your special touch with things Shaker. California Shaker? Not sure about that.
Hi Alan, sorry I've missed this thread until this evening. I remember when you were in the process of moving and packing everything, and then later looking for your new home to be. Congrats on all fronts!
I think California Shaker is very fitting, being that California is the earthquake capital!!!! Good luck and God speed! Jim.

Jason Tuinstra
06-14-2005, 12:32 AM
I think California Shaker is very fitting, being that California is the earthquake capital!!!! Good luck and God speed! Jim.

That's a classic! :D :p :)