PDA

View Full Version : santa brought a Kobalt #4 handplane to me..

steven c newman
12-27-2013, 3:35 PM
Heavy little guy ( both santa, and the plane)

handles were loose, a few turns with a screwdriver solved that

Iron needed to be flattened on the back, currently working on the bevel part

Chipbreaker needed to be mated better to the iron

Lever cap had a strange looking, rough cast lip where it meets the chip breaker. Polished that down.

Iron has a "Grind angle 25 degrees" stamped on it.

Did get a few shavings right out of the wrapper. Expect even better with the iron sharpened up.

Work on the frog's seats, at least on the frog, as they were painted a thick blue paint. Frog does NOT rock, and is quite solid. Seats on the base will be done at a later date, when i can do them right.

Frog does have a Frog Adjuster Bolt. Frog looks like a Stanley from the 70s, maybe a type 20??? 278160278161278162278163Worth the $30 + tax?? Well, seems I pay THAT much for a decent plane on fee-bay, counting shipping. Plus, IF I don't like it, I can drive the two miles to the other end of town and return it. It will take about the same fettling as some of the planes i get off of Fee-bay, just don't have to clean any rust, spider nests, or other nasty items.

BTW: Bottom was flat, will not need any work done there.

David Weaver
12-27-2013, 3:46 PM
looks like a late record copy. When someone gives you a gift, the conditions are different than they would be for dropping 30 bucks on a plane of your own accord.

steven c newman
12-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Frog seat on the base looks like a "Y". there are two small "pads" behind that for the frog to slide on. Lateral has zero play in it. iron is now flat and scary sharpened. Went out tonight and picked up a tile and some spray glue. Had to pick through a stack of tiles to get one that was flat AND smooth. haven't "dubbed" the corners of the edge, yet. Might later on, after a few test runs....

george wilson
12-28-2013, 8:46 AM
David,I've been meaning to send you an old Kunz plane.....Nah,already gave that away.:)

David Weaver
12-28-2013, 8:53 AM
I certainly don't need any tools, george, until you're ready to give away all of your already prepared gouges for free!!

steven c newman
12-28-2013, 3:26 PM
Got the iron all scary sharped up. left the frog in the "out of the package' spot. Got out a testtrack to try it out on. Just pine for now278201seems to work. Snuck up on the shaving part, and was able to get almost a full width shaving.278202New camera, still learning the "Focus" button. 278203Might just be worth the $30. Almost as heavy as the Wood River #4 V3 and I can close the mouth up to match the WR4. Handles are a nice larger size, and they fit my hands. Big wheel is about the right size for one finger adjustments. Looks like they made a decent copy.