PDA

View Full Version : Gum tape VS Blue tape

Adam Augustine
12-27-2013, 2:08 PM
I was wondering if there is any advantage to using gum tape over blue tape in veneer work. I have used both during glue up with no difference. Though when I use the gum tape on smaller pieces they tend to swell and buckle. Any thoughts?

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2013, 2:15 PM
In my experience, the veneer press mashes masking tape into the wood so much that peeling the tape off leaves adhesive in the wood pores. So I always use veneer tape.

Mike Henderson
12-27-2013, 2:19 PM
I agree with Jamie. It can be hard to remove blue tape after the work has been in press. An additional advantage of veneer tape is that it shrinks slightly so it helps pull your seams together.

You may be using too much water on your veneer tape. It just has to be moist to work. I use a brass bristle brush to push the veneer tape down after laying it - just to make sure it's in good contact with the veneer.

Mike

HANK METZ
12-27-2013, 2:28 PM
Veneer tape, as the others have said. Little moisture- I drag it over an old cast- off kitchen sponge, and follow up with a wallpaper seam roller for a good bond.

william watts
12-27-2013, 5:33 PM
I use both blue tape and gummed veneer tape. I use blue tape across the the veneer joint by stretching it slightly while joining pieces of veneer. The tape then "springs" back drawing the veneer joint tightly together and helps make a seamless joint. The blue tape is across the joint every few inches, not along its length. Then turn the veneer work over and apply gummed veneer tape in the usual manor along the joint. Allow the gummed tape to dry, and then REMOVE the blue tape BEFORE putting the work in the press. I use 1/40 in. thin type veneer I have not tried this technique on shop sawen veneer.

John TenEyck
12-27-2013, 9:15 PM
I've started using 3M's blue tape for delicate surfaces almost exclusively for veneer. It applies with no water, peels off easily, and leaves no residue after coming out of the vacuum bag. Gummed veneer tape is much harder for me to remove and sometimes leaves a faint "shadow". On my 1/16" shop sawn veneer I only need a piece of tape every 8 or 10", and I stretch it as I apply it across the seam. It's just a lot easier to use all around.

John