PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this axe brand?

Kim Malmberg
12-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I found a rather nice axe head just about a week ago.The axe head has no maker's name but is stamped with what looks like a animal footprint with seven digits. The reverse side of the head is stamped with "2 1/2" which could be related to the weight of the head measured in pounds. This would exclude Scandinavian and continental European makers. The weight of the axe with the handle is a tad above the 2 1/2 lbs mark. The bit is 6 inches wide.

If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate any information about the maker.

Pictures here: flickr.com/finnberg68/sets/72157639081180026/

Regards from Finland where Santa had to wear rain boots this year.

Jim Koepke
12-27-2013, 3:59 PM
The 'footprint' looks like a bear paw. Could it be Russian?

The way it is shaped were the handle is attached may also be another clue.

I was Googling paw print and bear paw as brand names. It could be that it is from your side of the planet.

jtk

Kim Malmberg
12-27-2013, 4:28 PM
Thanks Jim for taking the time to help. Bear was on my mind too but the pattern and alignment seems wrong at least compared to some images I have seen. But then again I know nothing about animal footprints.
Russian - hmm. It's hard to guess the age of this axe but if it was Russian I think it would have been made during the Soviet era. I have very limited knowledge regarding Sovier or even Russian hand tools but my gut instinct is that this axe head is far too well made to have been produced in Russia.
As you say the head pattern might be the best clue. I am no expert in this area but I am rather sure Scandinavia can be excluded.

Jim Koepke
12-27-2013, 4:46 PM
Looking at different paw prints lead me to it being a bear's paw print. The bear made me think of the Russian bear. It could have been made before the Soviet era.

jtk

Kim Malmberg
12-27-2013, 4:59 PM
Yes, its hard to exclude the combination of bear and Russia. I'm not sure what weight scales were used in Russia but I will try to find out.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2013, 5:33 PM
What you see as a paw print, I see more as an A superimposed over a Y, or a W stacked on top of an M, circumscribed by a circle. No idea which one of us is right, of course!

Kim Malmberg
12-27-2013, 5:53 PM
Joshua, your findings are interesting. One of my Flickr contacts mentioned this as well. My only objection to this is that monogrammes are generally more obvious and less concealed. This one shows no repeated patterns or common shapes.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2013, 6:00 PM
certainly not my "findings" ! - just what I saw at first glance before I saw your mention of the paw print - I've absolutely *no* experience in this field; so anything I've got to add is just conjecture!