PDA

View Full Version : LN Chisels are sharp...OOPS

Ryan Lee
12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Chisel 1 finger 0

Wood blew out and chisel sliced through finger!

Bruce Mack
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Ouch. Despite the woodlore to the contrary, I find that the small cuts from sharp chisels hurt a lot and tend to reopen. Maybe just my age :)

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Got a very similar scar on my finger from a piece of wire fence I was pulling. At least yours was clean. Just so you know that's going to hurt like #### later.

James White
12-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Ouch. Despite the woodlore to the contrary, I find that the small cuts from sharp chisels hurt a lot and tend to reopen. Maybe just my age :)

The cleaner the cut the harder it is to stay closed. If I remember correctly a rougher surface is called a wettable surface. That induces your body to produce fibrin. The fibrin is what holds it closed. It has been too many years since I learned that. So I could be way off. But that is how I remembered it. I am sure a Doc or an EMT will stop in to correct me though.

Perhaps you need to shop at the store with Lee in the name for compatibility reasons.:D I hope you heal up quick and get back to it.

James

John TenEyck
12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry to read -and see - that. I just stuck myself in the pad of my thumb with a chisel. How I still don't know, but at least a Band-aide eventually stopped it. I'm pretty sure I've had more Band-aide incidents with wood chisels than any other tool. For some reason they just hate me.

Hope you heal up soon w/o long term consequences.

John

Julie Moriarty
12-27-2013, 1:35 PM
OW!!! I hate when that happens! Time for chain mail gloves. ;)

Mike Shields
12-27-2013, 1:40 PM
I'm assuming thats the wife in the background; her expression is either: I feel for your pain, or, serves you right for working in the garage instead of spending time with me.

How do I know that?

Chuck Nickerson
12-27-2013, 5:37 PM
I'm assuming thats the wife in the background; her expression is either: I feel for your pain, or, serves you right for working in the garage instead of spending time with me.

In my world it's the second of those.

John Coloccia
12-27-2013, 7:38 PM
For a while there, I was a regular in the ER for one thing or another. Did any of the doctors comment on how clean the cut was, almost like a scalpel? If not, you've got some sharpening to do. What techniques do you use? Water stones, or oil? Stop afterwards? You can gain valuable feedback about your sharpening technique from the ER doctors.

Get better soon, and keep those digits out of the line of fire, eh?

Ole Anderson
12-27-2013, 7:45 PM
Ah, another bullet in the gun of those that say sharp tools are more dangerous than dull ones.

Matt Radtke
12-27-2013, 8:13 PM
Did any of the doctors comment on how clean the cut was, almost like a scalpel? If not, you've got some sharpening to do. What techniques do you use? Water stones, or oil? Stop afterwards? You can gain valuable feedback about your sharpening technique from the ER doctors.

Heh, done that. Exactly one week before my daughter was born. Managed to do it with a modern Irwin Marples. Figure that's worth double.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 8:15 PM
OW!!! I hate when that happens! Time for chain mail gloves. ;)

They are really hard on the chisels.

Jim Matthews
12-27-2013, 8:18 PM
I gather you were cutting toward the offended digit?

I pare with both hands on the chisel, for the same reason.
Not that I would know how much a finger can bleed - or how badly it hurts the day after the sutures go in.

Sleep with a surgical glove on for a week, at least.
Pillowcases stick to this kind of wound as it heals.

DAMHIKT278180

Jim Neeley
12-27-2013, 9:10 PM
This is a great example of the results of a major OOPS with sharp chisels.

With sharp chisels the worst thing is you get stitches.

With dull chisels you are pushing so hard to cut that when it does slip, it's more likely to be flowers. <g>

Jim in Alaska

Don Morris
12-28-2013, 1:29 AM
A clean cut (surgical blade type) heals faster because the edges approximate closer. Just follow standard wound healing directions followed by a little more careful use of that chisel. Some appropriate swearing at the time of the injury always made me feel better. Because I knew, that would always be followed by some herange by LOML about "why weren't you more careful when you were using a sharp chisel" etc. Doing people have things happen. One way to prevent this is do nothing. Looks like one or two of the chisel cuts I've had. It will heal, just apply time.

Charles Coolidge
12-28-2013, 2:10 AM
Dang people go easy on the fingers or I'm with Julie lets bring back chain mail.

Rick Fisher
12-28-2013, 5:04 AM
Really sorry about your accident. Lots of time to beat yourself up over it but what's done is done. Hope it heals up nice.

This is a great example of the results of a major OOPS with sharp chisels.

With sharp chisels the worst thing is you get stitches.

With dull chisels you are pushing so hard to cut that when it does slip, it's more likely to be flowers. <g>

Jim in Alaska

I stuck a Tasai push chisel in my hand almost a year ago and required stitches to fix the tendon that operates my thumb. I guess it was actually a stitch job.. but it was part of surgery ..

Today the thumb is about 90% .. Had a great surgeon and great physiotherapist..

Here is my reminder photo..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/IMG-20130411-00265_zpsd300620d.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/jokerbird_photo/media/IMG-20130411-00265_zpsd300620d.jpg.html)

They had to make a secondary cut and lift up the skin to find the other end of the tendon.. I can tell you that it was quite sensitive when the freezing wore off.. lol

These things we do with hand tools serve to remind us that we can get sloppy..

Malcolm Schweizer
12-28-2013, 5:58 AM
Welcome to the club. I am a long-time member! My wife teaches nursing and happened to be at the hospital the day I stabbed myself with a chisel and was bleeding in spurts from an artery. (My fault for cutting towards my hand.) They called her and said, "Amy, your husband is in the ER." She wasn't surprised at all.

phil harold
12-28-2013, 6:50 AM
Haven't you guys bought a chisel stop yet?

ouch