PDA

View Full Version : new chuck for my new lathe

Derek Voigt
12-27-2013, 10:53 AM
So I just got my Nova DVR lathe and was looking at the supernova2 chuck for it. What jaws should I start out with for bowl and peppermills turning? For 14" bowls, what size jaws should I use?

When I end up getting an outboard tool rest I'm assuming that I will need the 5" jaws. Is that ok on the supernova, I don't want to have to buy a Titan for the occasional big bowl.

Thanks!

Guy Belleman
12-27-2013, 2:34 PM
I like my two supernova chucks. As with all of the chucks, there are good characteristics and others not so good. I do prefer having one brand rather of chuck, as it seems to make life simpler. Not sure about the Nova lathe, but I needed two inserts to adapt the chuck to head stock right hand thread and outboard left hand thread.

One site that gives a general overview of the jaws and size bowl each is recommended for is: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/23/105/-/5442/Teknatool-Bowl-Jaw-Set

Roger Chandler
12-27-2013, 3:23 PM
The standard 50mm jaws that come with the SN2 will do fine for peppermill blanks and small/medium size bowls. For large bowls, the powergrip jaws will do nicely.....they will expand to 100 mm, which is 4" but you want to stay inside 3.5" with the tenons on that. If you really want to go with larger bowls a lot of the time, then you can get the 4" bowl jaws with a dovetail configuration.........I have both the powergrip and the 4" bowl jaws..........I have never run into anything the powergrip jaws did not handle, but my biggest bowl has been about 14" diameter and a platter of 17" on the powergrip jaws.

charlie knighton
12-27-2013, 6:51 PM
if you get over 4 inches tendon, ya might switch to a faceplate (6 inch faceplate)
you will lose some wood, but with that size tendon, ya probably got the whole tree
with my stronghold i usually try for about 2 1/4 to 2 3/8 tendon on most turnings, i usually go about max 6 inches in height and try to be larger width than height for hf, most bowls 8 to 10 inches, really like 3 1/2 h x 5 w hollow form

Michael Mills
12-27-2013, 9:04 PM
The 100mm Powergrips are rated for up to 27” IIRC. If you are doing mega hollow forms and such you may need a Titan but the SN2 should handle anything for you.
This link is to a chart for Nova jaws. Note the 100mm Powergips and the 100mm bowl jaws only differ by 1 or 2 mm. I would go with the Powergrips as they have both internal and external dovetails like the 100mm bowl jaws and the PG inside is also serrated about 1-3/8” deep for hollow forms. Usually available on Amazon for about $45.
https://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(mm)Sep06.pdf
The standard 130mm jaws should be fine on the SN2 if you ever need them.
You may not need them for peppermills but a handy set of small jaws are the Pin jaws (not the Pen jaws).
As well as holding small items they can be used as a pin chuck by drilling a one inch diameter hole for bowl turning up to 12”.

You may want to consider carefully the outrigger. I bought one when I bought my lathe four years ago. I sold it a couple of months back at a $100 discount because it was never used except to hold my knock out bar. If you need one it should work very well, I just never got around to turning a table top or kids bath tub.