PDA

View Full Version : Lasering mylar help!

John Koepp
12-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi guys been lurking for awhile and learning alot from this forum! I did have a question that I couldn't find the answer to to my situation any help would be much appreciated from those who may have had experience with this problem.

I have an Epilog 40watt Legend mini 24.

Im looking at cutting .010 mylar A. I am cutting duck call reeds and this is the material that has to be used, and i am wanting to create the reeds all exactly the same with the laser.

Anyone have any setting suggestions to laser these out of a sheet of mylar clean? Currently they are coming out with a slight lip on the bottom side and it changes the sound of the duck call I need the mylar to be dead flat on both sides after cutting. I am vector cutting at the moment but open to best suggestions.

Dan Hintz
12-27-2013, 12:57 PM
It's possible, but you may have difficulty processing without the lip... you'll want high air pressure to cool it as fast as possible, high power and fast movement. You may also try really slow with low power if fast isn't possible with vector cutting. Also consider putting a hard substrate underneath the mylar that you can still cut through.

Mike Null
12-27-2013, 1:12 PM
I would think you should be able to cut these without getting the lip on the bottom.

I would try just enough power to make the cut but a high speed and moderate to high hertz. I would cut on a grid with air movement underneath. If you can vary the air pressure try it a various levels.

Worst case you should be able to remove the edge with a single pass of 600 wet/dry sand paper.

Robert Tepper
12-28-2013, 12:21 AM
I cut a lot of mylar. I use the vector table and tuck the edge under the lip of the vector frame to hold it in place.

I generally use about 17 - 22 watts of power, lots of airflow and speed varies depending upon the complexity of the cut, straight line or curves. I use manual focus and make vector cuts.

Robert

John Koepp
12-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the help guys I have been using the vector table at 100 speed and just enough power to get through the material which has been between 20-30 power on my 40 watt. Ive tried numerous frequencys with not much change? Not sure if I can adjust airflow it does have air assist but have no idea how to adjust it?

Kim Vellore
12-28-2013, 3:16 AM
If you have a shorter focal length lens you should give that a try. Theoretically it should give you a cleaner cut.
Kim