PDA

View Full Version : Spalting dry wood.

Joe Hillmann
12-26-2013, 3:04 PM
I want to make some spalted wood and would like to know if I can spalt wood that is already dried, either air dried or kiln dried, or do I have to stick with fresh cut wood?

Kevin Bourque
12-26-2013, 3:13 PM
I've done a lot of research on the subject of spalting wood.

Generally speaking the best case scenario is to try to induce spalt in freshly cut wood.
Already dry wood needs to be thoroughly re-saturated, and even then its an iffy proposition.

You then need the proper spores, lighting conditions, humidity, and temperature or it won't work.
The species of wood is very important also. Poplar and red maple are relatively easy to spalt, while many denser woods are on the difficult side.

Richard Coers
12-26-2013, 8:21 PM
Most any wood will rot. This time of year is not the time to start. You need active mold spores, wet wood, heat and humidity. None are easy in Wisconsin in December. If the wood is at 6% kiln dried, you make the job even tougher. Might as well shoot for the moon!

Scott T Smith
12-29-2013, 4:37 PM
As Kevin mentioned you will need to saturate your already dry lumber. One problem that you will have is that the surface of the wood will in all probability check extensively as it redries.

Richard Coers
12-29-2013, 6:10 PM
As Kevin mentioned you will need to saturate your already dry lumber. One problem that you will have is that the surface of the wood will in all probability check extensively as it redries.

Why will the surface check?