PDA

View Full Version : Strange Plane c557B-0 KX

Joe Tilson
12-26-2013, 2:39 PM
Not long ago I mentioned having a c557b, and was asking what it was. It has a Stanley lever cap w/the numbers B003648 N and FM 2 on it. The lever itself has the number 38 stamped where it touches the blade. The frog is cast aluminum with a Sargent style adjusting lever. The knob and tote are Bakelite. There is one on e-bay at this time just like the one I have, use the following number to look it up; C557B-0 KX. I cannot put pix on at this time as my camera is not working properly. Oh, The blade has Stanley on top with H1204(12-204E) in the middle, and USA on the bottom. Please look at this thing and let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Joe

Jim Koepke
12-26-2013, 2:50 PM
This is a later model plane either made by Stanley or a contracted source for Stanley.

It may be capable of doing good work with a little bit of fettling.

Stanley adopted a less costly method of making lateral adjusters. If the Sargent and Stanley lateral adjusters are compared you will see the Sargent adjuster has the 'ears' at a wide angle. The Stanley adjuster has the 'ears' parallel.

These kinds of features come from years of engineering efforts to remove all costs possible from the manufacturing process. These changes came when very few cabinet makers were using hand tools. Most of the planes sold at this time were likely used for correcting a door that swelled during humid weather. Likely used once or twice and set on a shelf.

jtk

Joe Tilson
12-26-2013, 3:08 PM
Jim,
Thank you for your answer. I have sent a note to Stanley to get their answer to this. I have seen to many of these lately for them to be frankin planes. You are correct that it has not been used more than once, as it is too new looking, and is too easy to clean up. The one on e-bay is exactly like the ones I have seen in the past three months.