PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Acronyms (or WWA)

Keith Hooks
06-10-2005, 3:02 PM
Since I started reading this forum, I've come across many acronyms - most of which the meaning was obvious, but some of which I really had to think about. It occurs to me that woodworkers like acronyms even more than engineers do :) I thought it would be fun to make a list of WWA that I've come across so far. Please post your own and I'll update the list. It might even be helpful to newcomers. Here's what I have so far:

BS - Band Saw
DC - Dust Collector
FWW - Fine Woodworking (the magazine)
GCSS - Guided Circular Saw System
LN - Lie-Nielsen
LOML - Love of my Life
LV - Lee Valley
MIL - Mother-in-Law
MM - Mini Max
PC - Porter Cable
RAS - Radial Arm Saw
SIL - Son-in-Law
TS - Table Saw
WB - Workbench
WW - Woodworking

John Hart
06-10-2005, 3:50 PM
DAMHIKT - at first I thought everyone was swearing, but I knew that wasn't allowed. I found the answer on dictionary.com because I was too embarrassed to ask!

Andrew Ault
06-10-2005, 4:05 PM
SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed

I'm new here - this one made me laugh!

-Andy

Maurice Ungaro
06-10-2005, 4:11 PM
Hey guys, you might want to look at a few of them in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17995&highlight=Woodworking+Acronyms

Ken Salisbury
06-10-2005, 4:12 PM
Since I started reading this forum, I've come across many acronyms - most of which the meaning was obvious, but some of which I really had to think about. It occurs to me that woodworkers like acronyms even more than engineers do :) I thought it would be fun to make a list of WWA that I've come across so far. Please post your own and I'll update the list. It might even be helpful to newcomers. Here's what I have so far:

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see threads listed that have beat this horse with a gusto :D . I don't think we need to beat him again :)

Rob Russell
06-10-2005, 4:13 PM
See this SMC thread - Loooooooog list of acronyms. Acronym thread in the SMC OT Forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17995).

Rob

Vaughn McMillan
06-10-2005, 6:14 PM
Being a tech writer, I consider myself the king of acronyms, but when I first started hanging around SMC, I was baffled by a lot of the ones used here. Fortunately, I did find the old acronym threads mentioned above (thanks to the Search feature), so I could finally figure out what in the world you guys are talking about.

- Vaughn

Andrew Ault
06-10-2005, 6:35 PM
Thanks. I like the Similar Threads feature. I had not noticed it before.

-Andy

Michael Ballent
06-10-2005, 7:03 PM
Thanks. I like the Similar Threads feature. I had not noticed it before.

-Andy

Leave it to the new guy to point out the fact that there is a listing of similar threads down below *slapping hand on forehead* :confused: I have been on here for a while and never even noticed that *whacking head into monitor*. Thanks for pointing it out :D