PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Cyclone update - War of the Worlds

Bob Borzelleri
06-10-2005, 2:49 PM
It seemed appropriate that, nearing the eve of the re-release of the classic War of the Worlds film, that this particular picture should find it's way into my viewfinder. It you don't recall the original cover scenes, this might seem a bit puzzling.

Close observers will note that I have addressed the "plastic vs. metal" conundrum in my most Rabbi like manner. I found a place for each under my roof.

Finding a reducer to connect 7" snap lock to 6" SCR 35 was no easy task. These guys seem to use totally different measuring standards. For the moment, I am using a flexible rubber connector that was the only thing in the enormous pipe supply house that came close to fitting. I have envisioned the possibility of the rubber becoming a magnet for dust inside the pipe, but it is easily opened up so I will check it out from time to time.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-10-2005, 2:52 PM
Looking good so far! Looks like you are going to have runs all over the place!

How big is the dust bin?

Bob Borzelleri
06-10-2005, 3:07 PM
Looking good so far! Looks like you are going to have runs all over the place!

How big is the dust bin?

Thanks Jeff...

I hope to control the runs by watching my diet (couldn't resist). The bin is 35 gal. Upon reflection, I might have been better off with a 55 gal. bin. I'll probably pick up a 55 after I get some sense as to the need (or not).

...Bob

Kent Parker
06-10-2005, 3:13 PM
Thanks for the posts Bob.!!

As you may know you are the first to report on the Green beast and I am curious how it performs.

Perhaps you will also be the one to save us from it.

Cheers,

KP

Jeff Sudmeier
06-10-2005, 3:33 PM
Thanks Jeff...

I hope to control the runs by watching my diet (couldn't resist). The bin is 35 gal. Upon reflection, I might have been better off with a 55 gal. bin. I'll probably pick up a 55 after I get some sense as to the need (or not).

...Bob
35 gallons is probably about the size of what I currently have in my bag collector. I may have a little less. On a good week, I will empty it twice, other times it will take me a month...

At the start of the project when I am planing a lot, I can fill it up in a day. After that intial influx, it takes me about a month to fill it.

So long story short, you should be fine. Up next to that big ole cyclone it looked like a 5 gal bucket... that cyclone really is BIG :)

Jim Becker
06-10-2005, 4:54 PM
Bob, I went to a 55 gallon bin after only a few months of owning my first cyclone (a 1.5hp Oneida) once I started using a planer and jointer "more regular-like"...and haven't looked back. Even with the tight headroom with the 2hp Commercial (forcing the motor to be between the joists of an 8' ceiling), it was a requirement that I could continue to use the big bin!!

Before you continue with that "hyrda", consider the most efficient way to get your drops to your tools...one that keeps run short, but doesn't burn a lot of duct work nor block all your lighting! Can some tools share a sub-branch?

Bob Borzelleri
06-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Bob, I went to a 55 gallon bin after only a few months of owning my first cyclone (a 1.5hp Oneida) once I started using a planer and jointer "more regular-like"...and haven't looked back. Even with the tight headroom with the 2hp Commercial (forcing the motor to be between the joists of an 8' ceiling), it was a requirement that I could continue to use the big bin!!

Before you continue with that "hyrda", consider the most efficient way to get your drops to your tools...one that keeps run short, but doesn't burn a lot of duct work nor block all your lighting! Can some tools share a sub-branch?

Jim...

It does look a bit foreboding, doesn't it? I've actually set up a design that will serve 9 tools with either 5 or 6 termination points. The table saw will be dedicated as will the sander and bandsaw. Everything else will share a run. As for the lighting, I've been planning a relocation so this is the best time to do it all. Part of the length is perspective in the photo, the snap lock is 5'. I thought it would be good to give the unit a fairly straight run of 7" to maximize the benefit of the 7" intake. It's all pretty much an experiment at this point.

...Bob

Dan Lyman
06-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Bob,
Hope you like th new Grizz! I went with the Gorilla because the Grizz would not fit in my space, but for the money The Grizz seems like the best deal goin! I transitioned from 7" metal pipe to 6" ASTM 2729 PVC pipe. I ordered up a custom reducer from Oneida for $25 and it ft both sides like a glove. I was goingto use a rubber reducer, but it was $17 or so, so I figured the oneida fitting was a good deal. So, that's an option for you if you are less than happy with the rubber fitting.

Enjoy!

Bob Borzelleri
06-11-2005, 3:20 PM
Bob,
Hope you like th new Grizz! I went with the Gorilla because the Grizz would not fit in my space, but for the money The Grizz seems like the best deal goin! I transitioned from 7" metal pipe to 6" ASTM 2729 PVC pipe. I ordered up a custom reducer from Oneida for $25 and it ft both sides like a glove. I was goingto use a rubber reducer, but it was $17 or so, so I figured the oneida fitting was a good deal. So, that's an option for you if you are less than happy with the rubber fitting.

Enjoy!
Dan...

I had wondered if someone (like Oneida) had fabricated that sort of metal to plastic reducer before. So I guess I was not all that original in mixing pipes. ;)

For all the discussion that has gone on comparing the Gorilla and the Grizzly, I am quite certain that they are both quality tools. In the end, it's stuff like price, delivery cost, size and ultimately color (of course) :rolleyes: that will be deciding factors, in my opinion.

...Bob