PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Recommendations

Doug Walls
12-25-2013, 4:21 PM
I've been getting more into using hand tools lately & I'm planning to set up a small area in my basement basically just for hand tools. The Main reason is because I don't heat my garage 24/7 & I usually just work out there during the weekends!

What I'm looking for is a good accurate hand miter saw/frame set-up for making small jewelry & keepsake boxes.

Doug

Jim Koepke
12-25-2013, 5:41 PM
Doug,

Try this in the SMC search box > langdon miter saw < to find a lot of the previous discussions on this.

You may also want to find a low angle bevel up plane for trimming miters as needed. The plane could be anything from a block plane to something bigger all depending on how much you want to invest.

You may also want to look into shooting boards. These can be made for trimming to a set angle for mitered work.

A lot of the time my miters are cut on a bench hook of my own making.

jtk

Doug Walls
12-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Try this in the SMC search box > langdon miter saw

Thanks Jim
That gives me something to look for! Looks like the Millers Falls/Langdon, Goodell-Pratt, or even the older stanleys are a good bet.

You may also want to look into shooting boards.
I have a plan from Norman Pirollo http://www.woodskills.com/Tutorials/JewelryBoxBuild.html to build a shooting board, But I haven't made one yet! I currently only have a few small block planes & a #4 Stanley for now. Sounds like the shooting board works best with a longer low angle plane.

Thaks again
Doug

Jim Koepke
12-26-2013, 2:39 PM
Thanks Jim
That gives me something to look for! Looks like the Millers Falls/Langdon, Goodell-Pratt, or even the older stanleys are a good bet.

I use an old Craftsman that looks like one of the Stanley models.

It needed a little tune up, but does a fair job.

I have a plan from Norman Pirollo http://www.woodskills.com/Tutorials/JewelryBoxBuild.html to build a shooting board, But I haven't made one yet! I currently only have a few small block planes & a #4 Stanley for now. Sounds like the shooting board works best with a longer low angle plane.

Thaks again
Doug

Often my shooting boards get used with block planes. It all depends on the piece being worked.

A shooting board can work with just about any plane. A low angle plane of larger size does have an advantage, especially with larger work. For my purposes an LN #62 was purchased. This was a few years before LN or LV announced their shoot board planes.

Here was my "hot dog" solution before purchasing the LN #62:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?130114-Shooting-Board-Plane

Derek Cohen also has a few posts on his "hot dogs" for some of his planes. Here is a link to the Tool Making page of his web site:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html

One of my future projects will be to make a shooting board with a platform thin enough to allow more blade exposure to the work.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
12-26-2013, 5:34 PM
The Stanley 150 is a nice miter box. It has the advantage of using more of the saws blade than the two post miter boxes like the MF Langdons, Stanleys..... The 150 will also work with more saws, even regular hand saws. I think if you spend a little time on auctions on line you can find one for a better price than what the larger boxes typically go for too. The Bad Axe saw site has more information, pictures, even a copy of the manual for these miter boxes. BA will be glad to make you a saw for a 150 if you need one too.

Doug Walls
12-26-2013, 8:51 PM
The Stanley 150 is a nice miter box. It has the advantage of using more of the saws blade than the two post miter boxes like the MF Langdons, Stanleys I'll keep that on my radar. I like the idea of having the smaller size & still utilizing more of the saw's blade!

BA will be glad to make you a saw for a 150 if you need one too.
They sure don't give them away do they. :eek:

Thanks Doug

Hilton Ralphs
12-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Depending on how small your pieces are, Lee Valley sells a Zona razor saw miter box set for not much.

Eric Brown
12-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Lie-Neilsen indicated they may introduce a miterbox/saw combination in 2014. Apparently the base may also be used on the miter plane shooting board. If you have the money and are willing to wait, I suggest you make your own out of wood until they introduce it.

Doug Walls
12-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Depending on how small your pieces are, Lee Valley sells a Zona razor saw miter box set for not much.

I already have a small Olson miter box with a fine cut saw that I use for inlays & very small items. I also have a regular wooden miter box with a back saw, But I'm looking for something a little more precise.

Doug

Chris Friesen
12-30-2013, 2:27 AM
There's always the newfangled version....http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884

Hilton Ralphs
12-30-2013, 4:49 AM
I already have a small Olson miter box with a fine cut saw that I use for inlays & very small items. I also have a regular wooden miter box with a back saw, But I'm looking for something a little more precise.

You don't need another miter saw then. Look into making a couple of shooting boards to trim your pieces accurately. Donkey ears for the long miters and a regular one for 90 degree edges.

Spend your money on either Veritas shooting plane or something more versatile like their Low Angle Smoother or LA Jack.

In the words of Jim Koepke, YMMV