PDA

View Full Version : Replaceable compressed air filter elements / a request for help

Mark Koons
12-25-2013, 3:52 PM
In setting up the compressed air system for my new shop I disassembled and cleaned the hodgepodge mix of filters I'd been using. Some were crudded-up beyond belief. In one case I imagined the regulator had stuck shut but the problem was that the filter simply no longer passed a useful amount of air. For most of the brands of filters I was able to get replacement element parts numbers by emailing the manufacturer with the housing's model number. A search of those elements' numbers on eBay located the correct, sometimes-discounted, unused parts for several of the housings I wanted to use.

Among the many other useful things to know about woodshop compressed air systems, I learned that filters come in several degrees of filtration. 40 micron filters keep the chunks out but 5 micron filters coalesce and hold droplets - water and oil - as well as very fine grit from compressed air before it goes through ( or at least into) your tools.

What I need help with is identifying the correct 5 micron elements for a couple of Speedaire brand filter housings. Speedaire is a house brand of W.W. Grainger, a marketing company specializing in light industrial and plant maintenance supplies. My research suggests that before 1996 Grainger discontinued selling and no longer supported the two housings I have: 4Z027 and 2Z763A. They both take a cylindrical element that measure about 1-5/8" tall by 1" inside diameter. The correct part number for the 40 micron element to fit these housings is 1R423. I was able to get that much help from Grainger's telephone support.

On eBay are a variety of orphaned Speedaire parts and parts kits, their parts numbers varying according to their level of filtration but also according to the gaskets, O rings and plastic parts the kits contain.

Since Grainger manufactures nothing, my supposition is that my Speedaire housings came from the manufacturer of one or more other brands of filters. My hope is that they shared interchangeable filter elements. Can anyone provide useful information? Clues?

Some people work Sudoku puzzles. Others play cards or watch commercial sports. I get my jollies trying to find parts for the "durable" goods I own.

Thanks.

Ruperto Mendiones
12-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Try www.solbergmfg.com. If they don't have the element they have replacement inlet filters complete with housings.

Jeff Erbele
12-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Mine is only a guess, that being search the OEM filtration companies
Fluid Tech www.fluitek.com (http://www.fluitek.com)
Parker - 3 Filtration options listed:
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.f8ba1d72adca86ed4d1f2e9876108a0c/?vgnextoid=0f3880961f66e010VgnVCM1000000308a8c0RCR D&vgnextfmt=default

As Speedaire is Grainger's house brand, Grainger is the pivot point. Trying to figure out who they contracted with 17 years ago and prior is a tall order.

I've not had good luck with such things on eBay. Sellers are quick to proclaim they have replacement parts for obsolete equipment but every order so far has been something that sort of looks correct but does not fit or work. Trying to return items via shipping is a hassle I greatly despise and usually don't if the cost is not too great. Their gain is at my expense. I would rather consider new housings with readily available filters. Personally I get much more out of using things than searching for them, be it income or simply the enjoyment.