PDA

View Full Version : 55 Deg Frog

Jim Foster
12-25-2013, 3:36 PM
I got a 55 deg frog to put on my LN #4 today. Only had time to try it very briefly. I have an old Bailey #3 set up pretty well, and to compare I took a shaving off of a piece of Apple with the #3 and the LN 55 Deg to start. Both the planes produced very nice shavings about .001" thick, the 55 may have produced a shaving that is a tad thinner. To test a tougher task, I grabbed a piece of Yellow Birch that is straight-grained, but very prone to tearout, and I took a quick shaving with the #3 and the resulting surface showed tearout or a dimpling on the surface. Used the 55 deg LN and the resulting surface was very nice. I prepared both blades equally, and truth be told, I think the #3 was/is sharper.

Luckily I have an old #4 and #3 Bailey that both set up very nicely (I think I have combined $30 or $35 into the two planes), so I plan keep the 55 deg frog on the LN smoother for difficult grains and to further investigate the benefits of a higher frog angle that have been written about in various publications and forums. I'll use the other planes for general smoothing. The #3 is a recent addition to my shop and I am surprisingly fond of it. It's very light and with the narrower blade is a very fun user. It is also about the same length as my other two #4's (The LN and an old Bailey)

David Weaver
12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Jim - you might find the 3 and 4 to be an even match with the high angle frog. Of course, it's not critical to learn to set them up to be so now that you have a high angle frog.

Google "setting a cap iron".

Jim Foster
12-26-2013, 10:53 AM
David, thanks, I've seen the info on setting the cap iron and set it as close to the blade edge as possible with my planes. I'll get to compare the two bed angles more in depth over the next few weeks, and see if the difference I saw in my brief attempt to compare bed angle results holds up.