PDA

View Full Version : My 1st ornament

Pat Scott
12-25-2013, 11:57 AM
I can see why you guys like making ornaments! They're fun and cute. This one is taken from the book "Woodturning Christmas Ornaments with Dale Nish".

It's my first but definitely not my last. My wife wanted to keep this, but it was already destined to be a present for my step-Mom. If I had more time I would have made another one to give away and kept this. But my step-Mom appreciates hand made items so I hope she likes it.

The body is Cherry, I think the top is Linden, and the perch and finial are Wenge. I like how the top has a streak of color through it. The finish is spray Lacquer that was rubbed back.

Paul Engle
12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Excellent start indeed Pat !!!

Allan Ferguson
12-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Very pretty. I hope that she enjoys it.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I like it Pat! Nice work!

charlie knighton
12-25-2013, 2:37 PM
the first of many, they are fun

Doug Herzberg
12-26-2013, 7:58 AM
Very nice, Pat.

John RStegall
12-26-2013, 2:04 PM
I can see why you guys like making ornaments! They're fun and cute. This one is taken from the book "Woodturning Christmas Ornaments with Dale Nish".

It's my first but definitely not my last. My wife wanted to keep this, butu it was already destined to be a present for my step-Mom. If I had more time I would have made another one to give away and kept this. But my step-Mom appreciates hand made items so I hope she likes it.

The body is Cherry, I think the top is Linden, and the perch and finial are Wenge. I like how the top has a streak of color through it. The finish is spray Lacquer that was rubbed back.

I really like this. One of the best I have seen.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-26-2013, 2:21 PM
I love turning these ornaments, and this one is a real nice one, well done and I'm sure it will be treasured :)

Rob Price
12-27-2013, 8:28 AM
Well done. Ornaments are on my list of things to try.

Pat Scott
12-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah she liked it!

What's nice about this particular design is you don't need any hollowing tools to make it. The body and top are drilled out with a forstner bit, which makes it easy and quick.
I feel myself slowly being sucked into a new area of turning. I'm already thinking ahead to display stands, other wood combinations, etc.

Jamie Donaldson
12-27-2013, 1:01 PM
Many turners use overly large and expensive screw eyes for hanging ornaments, and they often split fragile ornaments. The best option I have found is a gold plated 3/0 Aberdeen light wire fish hook, much cheaper and the gold looks great with gold hangers.