PDA

View Full Version : Quality Bandsaw at the $2k Price Point?

Mike Shields
12-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm looking to purchase a bandsaw at about the $2000 price point, with the possibility to go higher if needed to achieve what I'm looking for. Quality of the machine is my #1 priority. At the moment, I have no plans to resaw, so the BS must be able to use a small blade for detail work. (a scroll saw is out due to it's limitations)

Where l'm located is preventing visits to multiple vendors (or even a single vendor) to do comparisons. There are some sales going on right now that is influencing my brand decision. I prefer to purchase new, and the CL in my area is only listing used, low end machines.

Research on the Laguna LT14 SUV indicates it's a machine that will work for me. However, there is the 3000 series: LT16 and LT18. What I don't know is if either of these 2 saws offer a increase in quality over the LT14. The specs/capacities are mostly the same between the SUV and the LT16, where the LT18 has a considerably larger table and weight.

I'm (somewhat) leery of sales people, so any help/thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!

Mike

Jim Andrew
12-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Minimax usually has a year end sale, and Hammer has a huge discount on some equipment, think I saw a model or 2 of bandsaw on there. The Hammer website has videos of bandsaws in action.

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 1:04 PM
I am with Jim on looking at the Minimax line, especially if they have a year end sales event. Hammer/Felder are good tools, but not quite as good as Minimax in my opinion. People here with the MM16 will tell you it's the best bandsaw made in that size. Hopefully Dave will quit playing with his new/old tools on Christmas and respond. He holds vast knowledge about bandsaws.

joseph f merz
12-25-2013, 1:39 PM
I tried to contact them [minimax].The sight/email gave me a hard time /never got through .i was looking into the 16 to 18" range .Sounds like from my reading roller guides are not the best ??
surprised of that . Wish I could use one first , Get an idea of features I need the most

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 1:45 PM
One of our members, Erik Loza, works for Minimax. He will likely answer you in the thread or with an message through SMC; for the record, he's not salesman like, and he's quite helpful.

Loren Woirhaye
12-25-2013, 2:00 PM
Look into the General 490.

David Kumm
12-25-2013, 3:07 PM
Once you get over 14" the 2K gets tougher to hit unless you go used. A larger that and table are nice and 2K gets you into saws up to 24" in size. If you don't need to tension a wide blade the differences between brands is less important. IE 3000 vs LT or Hammer and FB series vs Felder's ACM machines. Dave

Richard McComas
12-25-2013, 3:39 PM
Jet has a new steel frame 14'' band saw (Jet JWBS14SF) that retails for around 1900. I don't know much about it but maybe you want to look at it.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-25-2013, 3:43 PM
There is an interesting 30" machine someone made some serious shields for on the Denver Craigslist. The seller doesn't know this, but its an Oliver 116. The little brother to mine. They can be an awesome machine. The seller is insane on the price, and it's got grease zerks instead of the proper oiler, but probably worth a look if you are looking for a cool old machine. There is a pic of mine on my user page.

joseph f merz
12-25-2013, 4:24 PM
open to reply from erik /minimax - just tried there sight again ,frustrating . interested in what wide blades are .how wide is wide .i was thinking 1" as wide . that would be nice .
i will look into the general line .

Guy Belleman
12-25-2013, 4:30 PM
For that budget, think I would get the Grizzly 0514X2B, with plenty leftover to buy some good blades. Once you get out of the 14" bandsaw range up to the next sizes, you will wish you had done it before. Good luck.

Frank Martin
12-25-2013, 4:40 PM
I would say try to stick with an Italian if you can. I currently own an Agazzani 18" saw, that I bought used, or let's say has been turned on a few times, but not really used at a great price. Prior to that I had a similar Laguna 16 HD that I had sold after not using it for 5 years.

Regarding blade width, I am pretty sure MM16 can easily handle a 1" wide blade, and possibly even 1-1/4". Not sure how well it does with very small blades though.

Good luck in your purchase decision. By the way, Eric Loza from Minimax helped answer some of my questions on my combo machine that I had purchased used. He is actually a great salesperson, who understands not all is about the quick buck. He does invest time in helping people with objective information without being pushy which I am sure serves him well and he definitely deserves it. I am sure he will respond to you soon, I am guessing he may be off.

Richard Coers
12-25-2013, 6:45 PM
If you are thinking Minimax, act fast. They are raising prices on Jan.1, 2014

Michael Mahan
12-25-2013, 7:13 PM
Erik has been helping me with buying a Band Saw & J/Planer combo , he's the best not pushy at all , straight shooter for sure

Erik Loza
Minimax Division
SCM Group, North America
Duluth Office: (866) 975-9663

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2013, 7:15 PM
$2K is not new Minimax money no matter what the sale.

Dan Hintz
12-25-2013, 7:27 PM
The Jet JWBS-18QT-3 is <$2k on Amazon (and you can get it cheaper if you look)... I'm quite happy with mine. 18" and 3HP... good combo.

David Kumm
12-25-2013, 9:46 PM
I'd check out Arthur Fuege's SCMI 600 on owwm.net at 1800 plus a 200 vfd and you are way above anything new- if you have the room. Dave

Frank Drew
12-26-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't know what they'd realistically cost nowadays, but if I was in the market I'd spend some time looking for a 24" Tannewitz or Yates snowflake. Or an Oliver. Nothing wrong with a Crescent, either.

Loren Woirhaye
12-26-2013, 1:13 AM
If you have room for a 24" or larger band saw, you'll find the used market offers a lot of potential. In Los Angeles I have often seen 36" saws sold for $500 because they are so huge and a pain to move... sellers are motivated. I've even seen larger Italian saws for those bargain prices. I would have snapped one or more up myself but I don't have the space or the need really. I will say that a saw with a 18" or 20" throat is nice to have in making furniture, not for the resaw capacity some of those saws have, but because the additional 4-6" of working room to the column really does make some furniture-scale cuts quicker to do.

Frank Trinkle
12-26-2013, 1:54 AM
Your first idea is perfect based on what you stated.

The Laguna 14X14SUV answers all your needs, and at the price point you are shooting for. While made in Taiwan/China, the fit and finish is extremely satisfying. The 3HP motor will handle whatever you want to shove through it, and the foot brake along with two dust ports are well designed. Safety features throughout, and just looks good!
I have the SUV along with a Laguna Italian LT20. I use the 14" for the same purposes you mention. My 20 is for heavy resawing with Resaw King Blades (Awesome!), and my SUV is for small blades, tight turns, and anything my Dewalt Scroll Saw can't handle.

Laguna has made great inroads into solving their previous Customer Service issues. I have absolutely no complaints, and the Manager of their Service Dept once called me to insure I received appropriate answers and solutions for a small problem I had with the 20".

I use 1/8th" and 1/4" blades on my SUV. If you decide on the SUV, I strongly recommend that you add their Cool Block Kit (phenolic material blade guides for very narrow blades). $155.00. They are interchangeable with the regular ceramic guides that come with the machine for wider blades. And while I'm at it, there are NO better guides on the market. Many owners of bandsaws made by other manufacturers have retrofitted the Laguna guides to their saws. They are excellent!

The standard 3000 series from Laguna are all Taiwan/China made saws. (As is the SUV). The design, fit and finish of the SUV is better than the standard 3000 series in my opinion, and the SUV has a number of features not found in the other saws. (Hence the name "Souped Up Version"). The only real thing to get used to is the 35 1/2" high table. It takes a little getting used to, but most owners have found that height to be ideal once they become accustomed to it. Additionally, the mobility kit for the saw is superb with removable handle. Makes moving the saw around the shop...even over sawdust...extremely easy!

Finally, while the stock fence on the SUV is well made, I use a Carter MagnaFence which is simply awesome! I do a lot of curve and circle cutting on my SUV, and the stock fence can get in the way sometimes and would have to be removed. The Carter MagnaFence, however, can be instantly removed when needed, and BOY is it strong on the cast iron when the magnets are enabled!

Good luck with your choice! You can probably guess what my recommendation is...especially at your price point. Also, if you call Tim Lory at Laguna, you can probably get him to throw in some blades for free with your purchase. (Tell him I sent you) You should come in under the wire with liftgate service and the Cool Blocks. Maybe just a tad over $2000 with the mobility kit.(Extra $99.00)

Cheers,

Frank:)

Jim Andrew
12-26-2013, 6:29 AM
Just checked the Hammer website, the N 4400 is on sale for 2295, 3 1/2 hp with 17 3/8 bandwheels. So if your limit is 2000, it is a little over your budget. And you would probably have to pay the freight.

Jim Matthews
12-26-2013, 9:17 AM
I'm really happy with my MM20.

It's worth saving to get more capacity.
I put a Driftmaster fence on mine, and it makes set up easy.

What's an MM16 cost, with delivery these days?
That's a solid performer.

Keith Outten
12-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have asked Eric not to respond in any thread that involves his company or their products. It is a violation of our Terms of Service for any individual to participate in any discussion that involves a product or company that they have a financial interest. This rule goes beyond just preventing unauthorized advertising, there are serious legal issues involved as well. Two years ago a couple of company representatives got in a gunfight here that ended up in court. It cost me a lot of money to comply with a legal warrant I received however I was relieved that I was not instructed to send our server to some law firm.

Please feel free to contact any vendor representative you please via Private Message or in the case of Baileigh Industrial you can use their Forum here.

Kelby Van Patten
12-26-2013, 11:59 AM
I've had the 18LT for many years, and I've been extremely happy with it. I have a few other Laguna products as well, and their customer service has been good to me. I have no experience with Laguna's smaller bandsaws.

Jay Rasmussen
12-26-2013, 9:55 PM
I've had the 18LT for many years, and I've been extremely happy with it. I have a few other Laguna products as well, and their customer service has been good to me. I have no experience with Laguna's smaller bandsaws.

Very happy with mine as well. The guides are a bit of a pain but it's a nice saw!

Mike Shields
12-27-2013, 9:19 AM
Thanks to all who replied!

I have a new LT 14 SUV sitting in my garage. Considering how I intend to use a BS, this machine made sense. The cost was low enough to allow the purchase of the Cool Block Kit and 3 blades, and still be under budget.

The saw did not come with a blade. I'll be purchasing a single blade (today) from a local shop who does custom blade work. I'll be cutting wood this evening.

I'm not one to do detailed reviews, but I will post my impressions (with pics for those that love to see tools!) after some initial cutting.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Gus Dundon
12-27-2013, 4:23 PM
Not going to suggest names but good luck on your purchase!