PDA

View Full Version : So what did you get for Christmas?

Paul McGaha
12-25-2013, 9:55 AM
A LN crosscut panel saw for me. No pictures as it's not here yet, It's in route.

Merry Christmas and thank you all for sharing your thoughts and knowledge the way you do. Very interesting and fun reading.

PHM

Eric Sizer
12-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I got a check from my family back west with a note telling me to buy one of those planes I wanted. So I'm deciding between the LN #8 or the LV block plane. Or maybe a smoothing plane.

I also got a set of Sigma water stones from toolsfromjapan from Santa. Those are still en route but I'll post some pics when they arrive.

Chris Griggs
12-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, I haven't gotten them yet so I'm guessing various in-laws got them for me (we're doing Xmas with them tomorrow) but someone purchased a Large Precision Square (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42936&p=69595), a Veritas canvas apron (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43413,45989&p=70774), and a 6" Auriou rat tail rasp (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42524,53823,53799&p=53799) off my LV wishlist. Errr, at least that's what my wishlist says, hopefully not a glitch:)

Tony Wilkins
12-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I got the book 'By Hand and By Eye'. I also got the last two David Charlesworth DVD's from the 4 DVD set. And the piece de resistance, a 16" Bad Axe Tenon Saw...

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/cadfael_tex/DSCF1572_zpse6752a12.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/cadfael_tex/media/DSCF1572_zpse6752a12.jpg.html)

Most fun I had was to see how excited my 10 year old was when he opened his LV coping saw and apron plane. He was as excited to see those as he was the swamp force game he's been hinting at for months. :)

Maurice Ungaro
12-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Veritas Scraper Set! Well, also got the Narex Paring Chisel Set...but that was from me to me....

maximillian arango
12-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Tony that is so cool that you got your son that! My dad passed on mechanic skills to me with his old tools when I was a kid, I couldn't be happier 10 years later.

I got socks, undershirts, pj pants, candy candy, gift cards, candy and more candy! I also got a Ron Swanson(Nick Offerman) shirt wrapped around my first set of chisels(narex). Sharpening stone being put to use after lunch time.

phil harold
12-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I got a plane!
New in box?
Heavy little bugger, check out how thick that front casting is
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=278031&d=1387989754

Jim Koepke
12-25-2013, 12:56 PM
My Christmas present was the Preston-reproduction spoke shave from Lee Valley. (Christmas comes early in these parts)

Though it often seems the best gift is all the people here who share their knowledge and work with others in the woodworking community.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year.

jtk

george wilson
12-25-2013, 1:41 PM
I got a better camera. now watch my pictures come out as BAD as they ever have!! Canon Rebel something or other.

P.S. : NOW we find out the "macro" lens is not a macro lens at all in the correct sense of the word. I have to buy an extra attachment to do real closeup work. Yet,the lens on the camera says MACRO!! You really can't get very close with it.

Shawn Pixley
12-25-2013, 1:54 PM
I got books - "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" and a book on dovetails. I think that someone thinks that my dovetails could be better. What I need is more time in the shop.

LOML got a nice piece of jewelry and a snarling tool. Dear son (DS) got an acoustic guitar I built for him and a replacement cymbal.

Michael Ray Smith
12-25-2013, 1:58 PM
Also in the other thread I started.278050

David M Anderson
12-25-2013, 7:51 PM
My wife was really good to me, got a HSB Gage plane.
Looks almost new.

Tony Shea
12-25-2013, 8:53 PM
I haven't gotten my big gift yet as it was backordered. But it is now en route. My parents bought me the LV Shooting Plane which was extremely unexpected. They also bought me the LN Langsner Froe and LN Holdfast.

I also have another gift coming that I can't post about yet as I have no permission to. But when all is said and done I will be singing his praises. Due to this generosity it is shaping up to be my best year yet as a woodworker.

Adam Cruea
12-25-2013, 9:07 PM
Wow. . .nice Christmas gifts, folks.

Tony. . .love the shirt, dude. Love it. :D

Al Launier
12-25-2013, 9:24 PM
My wife & daughter combined to overwhelm me with what I needed to finish off my shop. They are now scheming what I can build for them. Works for me!!! :D

· DeWalt 735 Thickness Planer with Folding Tables & Spare Blades
· Porter-Cable 4216 Super Jig Dovetail Jig
· Rikon 3 Speed Air Filtration System 400 CFM
· AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor Bevel Gage
· Rockler 52" Router Circle Cutting Jig
· (2) 48" edge Gluing Clamps
· Uvex S8510 Bionic Face Shield
· DeWalt DPG82-11C Anti-Fog Safety Goggle
· 20-Pack 3M Dust Respirators

David Weaver
12-25-2013, 9:37 PM
My wife was really good to me, got a HSB Gage plane.
Looks almost new.

Way cool! New jersey comes to Tempe, huh? (I think those might've originated in vineland, NJ).

Dave Halter
12-25-2013, 10:39 PM
A Lee Valley gift card (of sorts). My wife printed a copy of the Lee Valley catalog cover and wrote $200 on it. So now I just need to figure out what to spend it on.

Dave

Mike Holbrook
12-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Ouchi 9 & 15 mm chisels. I had the 6 & 12. Green Woodworking by Drew Langsner, Swedish Carving Techniques by Wille Sundqvist, Carving Swedish Woodenware DVD with Jogge Sundqvist. Working on appropriate Axe, Adze, froe and scoops for working green wood, which I have an abundant supply of. The son is interested too so we will share some items. He is more interested in whittling. I am more interested in using axes and adzes to work logs.

Judson Green
12-26-2013, 1:23 AM
Elfed myself a Stanley #8. 1902 pat date, no frog adjuster. Needs cleaning and a bit of tuning but in good order. That's the only woodworking tool. Got a bitchin Cuisinart and a nice braising pan, bottle of fine scotch, calendar of the nephews.

Gave a few cutting boards, a few spoons and a nice little wall cabinet, I'm pretty pleased about.

Eric Erb
12-26-2013, 8:24 AM
oo! i got a ray iles mortise chisel!

and Langser's Green Woodworking book (which i've already finished) and Make a Joint Stool from a Tree.

Brian Thornock
12-26-2013, 8:35 AM
This was the first time in a very long time that my wife didn't give me any tools, but she did sew me a shop apron and some chisel rolls. My dad got me the large spokeshave kit from LV, which will get put to use as soon as our relocation is done and we're settled in. I'm thinking some kind of rosewood or ziricote for the handles :)

Joe A Faulkner
12-26-2013, 12:47 PM
A pair of Gramercy Holdfasts - now I just need to build the bench they are intended to compliment

Chris Griggs
12-26-2013, 8:46 PM
Well, I did get those those 3 things from my inlaws that said "purchased" on my wishlist. So with this apron I guess I'm now officially a walking veritas advertisement....nice though, I like all the pockets. I also like how much the Auriou rat tail looks like a Harry Potter wand...I've been casting spells all evening.

Adam Cruea
12-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, I did get those those 3 things from my inlaws that said "purchased" on my wishlist. So with this apron I guess I'm now officially a walking veritas advertisement....nice though, I like all the pockets. I also like how much the Auriou rat tail looks like a Harry Potter wand...I've been casting spells all evening.

Dumb, yet honestly legit question. . .why did you want an apron?

Chris Griggs
12-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Dumb, yet honestly legit question. . .why did you want an apron?

Not a dumb question at all. I've actually always thought shop aprons were pretty dumb...the kinda thing that hobbyists buy to feel like "real" woodworkers. BUT I always find myself wishing my shop hoodies have more pockets for pencils, squares, and block places, etc... So I stuck the apron on my list. I tend to put things on my list that I want but don't want bad enough to buy for myself.

Anyway, short answer..I wanted more pockets. I think it will actually be pretty nice to have. Several big pockets.

Adam Cruea
12-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Not a dumb question at all. I've actually always thought shop aprons were pretty dumb...the kinda thing that hobbyists buy to feel like "real" woodworkers. BUT I always find myself wishing my shop hoodies have more pockets for pencils, squares, and block places, etc... So I stuck the apron on my list. I tend to put things on my list that I want but don't want bad enough to buy for myself.

Anyway, short answer..I wanted more pockets. I think it will actually be pretty nice to have. Several big pockets.

And several more places to catch wood chips. :D

In all seriousness, it makes a lot of sense. I always catch myself looking for a pencil that I know I had just a moment ago, and then usually looking for a square after I've found the pencil that's usually buried under a ton of shavings.

Chris Griggs
12-26-2013, 10:41 PM
And several more places to catch wood chips. :D

In all seriousness, it makes a lot of sense. I always catch myself looking for a pencil that I know I had just a moment ago, and then usually looking for a square after I've found the pencil that's usually buried under a ton of shavings.

Haha, yeah I'm always loosing my pencils and squares, and or knocking them and other things off my bench. I just got to thinking though, what would have been even better than the apron would have been to have my MIL sew a bunch of pockets onto my favorite shop hoodie...that would be sweet.

Adam Cruea
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM
How do you work in a hoodie, man? I usually end up shoeless on the concrete without my shirt on in shorts *still* sweating my butt off. I can't imagine being in a hoodie. . .I'd pass out from overheating!

Of course, I do ride a Harley 40 miles to work and 40 miles from work when it's < 20F out. . .

Chris Griggs
12-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Actually, in the winter I usually start with a hoodie (my basement tends to be a few degrees cooler than rest of the house) and then if I'm doing a lot of stock prep end up taking it off. But for layout and joinery and power tool work I tend to leave it on. Like you, I hate being too hot, and generally prefer cooler temps than most people, but I'm also lazy and try to avoid working to hard in the shop. Also, as we've discussed before, I'm not a hickory working masochist:)...walnut tends to make one break less of a sweat. Nonetheless, come summer I'll probably be going commando under the apron though (good luck erasing that image from your mind).:D

maximillian arango
12-27-2013, 12:26 AM
I think an apron would drive me crazy, Id end up getting it stuck in the door or sawing it. I don't use this in woodworking(yet) but when I work on cars, specifically when rebuilding engines, I use a bandoleer (http://www.amazon.com/Galati-Gear-GLB56-Shotgun-Bandoleer/dp/B003VUZ5RY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388121244&sr=8-7&keywords=bandoleer) that has been modified with the tubes closed off, pockets made and magnets stitched in so everything is on my chest. I keep everything on my chest aside from my torque wrench, and when I'm done all my sockets stay in it. Aside for that I'm too cool for an apron :cool:(jk) and the child in me says that there are funner options (http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airsoft-Deluxe-Tactical-Black/dp/B001BQZUD4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388121638&sr=8-3&keywords=tactical+vest) out there. I just want people to question what I am doing, "O no hes got a Guuuuu...... chisel?" :lol:

Malcolm Schweizer
12-27-2013, 2:00 AM
Thanks for the mental image, Chris.

Maximillian, that is actually a good idea to use a bandolier, if not just a bit goofy. I can just see me, hands held high, explaining to the police, "It's only an impact wrench, and these are sockets."

Here is is a cool leather apron I got on eBay that was originally custom made for a distillery but the logo didn't print well, so it was sold as a second. I like the pocket flaps to keep sawdust out. I use it mostly when strip boat/surfboard building where every strip gets a slight edge bevel and butt joined. A pair of LV skewed rabbeting block planes always at hand (for adjusting strip bevels while on the forms), along with a small combo square, pencil, and knife. Pipe added for effect. I don't smoke. I am wearing my favorite pair of overalls that my friend dubbed my "Choo Choo Charlies."

Jim Koepke
12-27-2013, 2:45 AM
I also like how much the Auriou rat tail looks like a Harry Potter wand...I've been casting spells all evening.

That's what lathes are for.

I must say, you look a little less bubbly than in your avitar photo...

jtk

Mike Cozad
12-27-2013, 7:44 AM
got the Narex Paring Chisel Set...but that was from me to me....

I had the same thing happen at my house... I thought my youngest had gotten the Narex skew chisels to go with them but, darn it, he was just toying with me. So I will be placing that order today....

george wilson
12-27-2013, 8:19 AM
All these aprons: Among other things I got my wife a kitchen apron; she was always complaining about getting grease spots on her good clothes.

Brian Thornock
12-27-2013, 8:34 AM
The reason I wanted an apron is that I inherited my dad's tendency to go straight out in the shop in my good clothes, and then proceed to get dust and possibly glue on them. In the winter I have shop jacket that does the protecting, but we're moving to Texas in a couple weeks and that jacket will pretty much get retired, so I needed something to fulfill its duties. I also do some metal working, so hopefully the apron will prevent marks on my clothes from coolant and grease as well :)

maximillian arango
12-27-2013, 8:56 AM
The reason I wanted an apron is that I inherited my dad's tendency to go straight out in the shop in my good clothes, and then proceed to get dust and possibly glue on them.

My fix to this problem is don't have nice clothing lol. My girlfriend buys me a back of 5 white shirts once a month and throws out 5 shirts because I always look like I've rolled out from under a car. On top of that I have been known to spill my chocolate milk(my greatest vise) and just drop one of my shirts on it.

Chris Griggs
12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
The reason I wanted an apron is that I inherited my dad's tendency to go straight out in the shop in my good clothes, and then proceed to get dust and possibly glue on them.

Oh yes, this too. I tend to wander down to the shop on workdays before I leave for work, but AFTER I've gotten dressed for work.

Max, that bandolier idea is great!

Jim, I do indeed need a lathe...I would turn my wife's whole family wands...we are all big Harry Potter fans :). Hmmmm, I guess that's the first picture I've ever posted of myself (and its a pretty bad one at that). Yes, less "bubbly"...though quite often I have just as many cats on my shoulders.

george wilson
12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
It was a fine picture,Chris.

Daniel Rode
12-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a shop apron very similar to Chris' that I've used for years. I'm alone in my shop 99% of the time, so I never cared much if it was a hobbyist thing or not. In fact, my wife calls it my shop dress. It's not very stylish but it keeps glue, finish, wood chips, etc, off my clothes and it has pockets. Lots of pockets.

Chris Griggs
12-27-2013, 12:06 PM
It was a fine picture,Chris.

Thanks George :).

I have a shop apron very similar to Chris' that I've used for years. I'm alone in my shop 99% of the time, so I never cared much if it was a hobbyist thing or not. In fact, my wife calls it my shop dress. It's not very stylish but it keeps glue, finish, wood chips, etc, off my clothes and it has pockets. Lots of pockets.

Shop dress! That's funny. Yes, lots of practical reasons to have one. I mostly wear junky clothes in the shop so for me its all about the pockets. LV sells a few aprons and the pocket layout on this one really appealed to me. Though I have been known to stain non-shop clothes with swarf while honing so it will be helpful in that respect too. I'm glad to have it.

maximillian arango
12-27-2013, 12:39 PM
It's not very stylish but it keeps glue, finish, wood chips, etc, off my clothes and it has pockets.

I never thought of this as a problem till this morning, I have been planing wood since 7am and I am covered in wood! I would put on a my overalls but then I am going to sweat my butt off and I am down to wearing a tshirt and jeans. On top of that I am working outside so its not like I can turn down the temp since its only 37. I think I will use my grilling apron so I can stop tracking wood waste into the house. sigh* I can't believe I am considering this lol, on top of that the apron says "I'm a Fing dinosaur" so this will look professional to say the least.

maximillian arango
12-27-2013, 12:41 PM
And Chris you look fine, and you look like you're my age(22).

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2013, 4:44 PM
I did a lot of my bench build in the hottest months. No fun. One thing I remember from building guitars is to be careful about dripping sweat on things - those waterspots can show up on some woods if you aren't careful - I had to wet the whole top of one guitar a bit and then sand down to get the finish to look even after dripping sweat on it when it was in the white. I had been looking to finish the thing that day.

Stew Hagerty
12-27-2013, 5:26 PM
I got:
A Fein Turbo II with an Oneida Dust Deputy Deluxe
A FoodSaver Set
Some clothes and other smaller things
A huge photo of my 4yr old granddaughter to put up on the wall
But the best thing I got, was being able to spend my 54th Christmas (and his 96th) with my grandfather!

Brian Holcombe
12-27-2013, 8:04 PM
LN low angle Jack plane, mitsukawa ryoba and dozuki of the white steel handmade variety.

Tony Wilkins
12-27-2013, 9:45 PM
LN low angle Jack plane, mitsukawa ryoba and dozuki of the white steel handmade variety.

Very Nice!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2013, 10:12 PM

Nice! Love to see pictures of the saws . . .

Brian Holcombe
12-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys, saws were last minute so still waiting for them to arrive.

Hilton Ralphs
12-27-2013, 11:54 PM
A huge photo of my 4yr old granddaughter to put up on the wall
But the best thing I got, was being able to spend my 54th Christmas (and his 96th) with my grandfather!

Wow, five generations!

Were they all there for Christmas?

Stew Hagerty
12-28-2013, 2:00 PM
Wow, five generations!

Were they all there for Christmas?

Unfortunately only 4 generations were able to celebrate together. I am the oldest, so I am the only one to have grandchildren of my own. While my daughter lives in town and was there, along with 5 of his other great-grandchildren, my son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter live in Denver.
I was able to get some 5-generation photos last year though.

Ron Kellison
12-28-2013, 3:40 PM
A great set of Gramercy holdfasts and the new Lee Valley LED work light. The next thing is to sell the Veritas offset holdfast I got a few years ago when I worked for LV. The Gramercy are bulkier the the Veritas but they are faster to use and seem to hold better.

Ron

Eric Sizer
12-28-2013, 6:07 PM
As promised some pics of my Japanese water stones, they arrived yesterday from Stu.

In the box:

Out of the box (I dribbled some water already on the stones so the japanese kanjis ink got smeared):

A quick note on their use, I decided to go ahead and sharpen my plane blade a few minutes ago. Was my first time sharpening a plane blade and first time using a water stone. I didn't use a guide and I can tell already I need practice, but I am very satisfied with the results, it's like a knife through butter what are in my opinion very fine shavings off the SYP I'm using for my roubo.

Mark Wyatt
12-28-2013, 8:14 PM
My wife is nice to me.

Tony Wilkins
12-28-2013, 8:15 PM
Nice Mark, who made it?

Chris Griggs
12-28-2013, 8:27 PM
My wife is nice to me.

Ding, ding, ding, dign....and we have a WINNER!

jason thigpen
12-28-2013, 8:49 PM
I got a new hewing stump! Putting it to work already!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-28-2013, 10:28 PM
My wife is nice to me.

Damn. Nice.

Tom Vanzant
12-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Jason, nice piece of walnut... how wide?

Bill Houghton
12-28-2013, 10:48 PM
A later Stanley 65 marking gauge, something I've wanted for a while.

David Weaver
12-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Looks like mark got something from gerd fritsche.

Stew Hagerty
12-28-2013, 11:38 PM
My wife is nice to me.

Mark, I hear by award you a very well deserved" you suck"!

That monster is gorgeous! Who's the maker?

Mark Wyatt
12-29-2013, 9:50 AM
Nice Mark, who made it?

Gerd Fritsche. At 28" long, it makes my other jointer planes look small.

Brian Holcombe
01-02-2014, 9:44 PM
Pictures of the two saws. The flush cut is super flexible and very thin kerf.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/72478753-EE0B-40BC-A612-0CCACB9E8571_zpsbjds2zct.jpg

Bill Houghton
01-02-2014, 9:55 PM
Later version Stanley No. 65 marking gauge - the one with the scriber running diagonally through the beam. Nifty!

Brian Ashton
01-02-2014, 10:44 PM
I got a new hewing stump! Putting it to work already!

I can only imagine the looks you get from people when you tell them you got a stump for xmas LOL

Wife didn't want to order from Lee Valley this your so I had to take the initiative myself and knock a few things off the wish list. Nothing exciting just 600 small eyelet screws (for the window shutter projects I've gotten myself into). Decided to piggy back off the high postage they were going to cost and added a low profile post for insert vise (cause thats the one that should have come with it in the first place) and the mini spoke shave (for some reason I'm compelled to collect the whole series)