PDA

View Full Version : Modern Queen Anne Table - Follow Up

Alan Turner
06-10-2005, 1:24 PM
In late April I shipped the Modern Queen Anne Table to Southern California.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19441

Unfortunately, FedEx Ground decided to drop the shipping carton. When it did so, the table broke into a greater number of pieces than originally intended. Pix of the table are below. No joint gave out, which was not surprising, but the legs broke, which I think is a bit of a design defect, unfortunately inherent to the design where there is no long grain running from corner post clear through to the feet. Ever wonder why the period guys use a knee block to visually enhance the curvature in the knee area? Might be for strength. This table was not meant to be bounced.

I had it insured, but that did not mean, as I learned, that FedEx would honor its insurance obligation. First, I had charged a crating fee, but that would not be covered, they said, as it was a normal business expense. Second, they told me that they did not insure profit. I explained that there was no profit in the piece, only labor, charged at the rate of $50/hr. That did no good also. They wanted to pay me only for the materials, but ended up paying me a refund of the shipping charges, plus one half of the sale price of the table (less crating fee). I rebuilt the table but managed to reuse the top, which was not damaged.

The foregoing "settlement" was only after a month of repeated phone calls, punctuated by promises of FedEx to follow up and get back to me, but not once, ever, did FedEx call me. I had to initiate each and every call, each time working through the tape system on its phones. I think that I spent more time on the phone with FedEx than I did to build the base from scratch. This left a really sour taste in my mouth for Fedex. I will not use them again, never, ever, at all, no way. Is that clear enough?

I made a second table (sans top) and shipped it out to LA via Craters and Freighters. Client paid the bill for the increased cost of the second shipping. I thought that was quite thoughtful of them. They received the table earlier this week. I did not want to post this story until it was safely in hand and they were satisfied, which they are.

In terms of my favored vendors, FedEx is off the list. Anyone can drop a crate. Stuff happens. But when, as a corporate matter, they renege on a promise to insure, and then structure a claims procedure such that they wear down a customer, that is just a bad way to run a business, and they won't enjoy any of my shipping dollars again. May FedEx rot in the land down under.

Rant over; back to work.

James Mittlefehldt
06-10-2005, 1:46 PM
That really makes my blood boil when I hear stuff like that. You pay all that money for insurance and such in the expectation that should something happen the shipper, will make it right. Guess again.

Reminds me of the stand up routine that Allan King used to do about insurance companies, when he reported that his house had been broken into and he wanted some payment under his fire and theft policy the company said they only insured when their was a theft during a fire.

Seems that nowadays we are being forced to pay out more and more for insurance of various types but it is a one way street as they want the premiums but don't bother trying to collect for anything.

Whew can't believe I typed that, that fast, Allan hit a nerve with his insurance issues.

This rant also over, sorry.

Chris Daigh
06-10-2005, 1:50 PM
Your story makes me sick, what good is insurance if they pay what they want. I guess their lawyer is bigger than yours. I have been shipping Fedex for some lamps and I am always worried about my packing and damage.

Jon Olson
06-10-2005, 4:03 PM
What a horrible sorry...this type of thing also makes my blood boil. I'm sorry it happen to you and your beautiful piece.

Jon

Jim Becker
06-10-2005, 4:55 PM
Hmm...I'm sure that the replacement legs and aprons are just as lovely as the originals you showed me in the car, but what a shame to have to do that over!! Rats!

Bruce Page
06-10-2005, 7:09 PM
Alan, that's a drag. At least the customer was happy when it was all said & done - even if you didn't make any profit. :(

Robby Phelps
06-10-2005, 8:25 PM
Well Alan put me on the "never using fedex again" list. Like everyone else that really strikes a bad nerve in me when someone does not do what they say they are going to do.:mad: I have been lucky with my shippments across the country. I would say 50 or more shippments have gone off without any problems but i have never used fedex. I do agree with you that stuff happens people will drop things, but when they do they had better honor the insurance agreement.

Glad though the story has a relatively good ending with your clients happy.

John Shuk
06-10-2005, 8:28 PM
Alan,
Would it have helped if the customer was the holder of the insurance? I would have to think that they would repay the value of the item. That is unbeleivable. Sorry to hear about it.

John Shuk
06-10-2005, 8:30 PM
Insurance companies are not in the business of taking risks. Actuaries (spelling?) help them avoid that.

Alan Turner
06-10-2005, 9:11 PM
Craters and Freighters explained that when they ship, they crate, they engage an independent trucking company, and they procure your insurance from another party. In the case of FedEx, they self insure, so they are trying to cover their own backside when a claim is made. It was a disgusting experience, but I have learned my lesson. Shipping is a pass through cost, and with FedEx I charged $100 for crating, which took me longer than the $100 was worth ( I built a very good crate) and the shipping was about $80, for a toal of $180. Craters was $317, inlcuding insurance, so the up charge was about $140, so in the future I will tell the client that that is the cost. C&F mostly ships art and antiquities. Expensive, but my work is not inexpensive.

As a good friend often tells me, if you always do it correctly the first time, you never learn anything. So true.

Richard Wolf
06-10-2005, 9:33 PM
What a sick story, sorry for your trouble.

Richard

Dan Forman
06-11-2005, 3:29 AM
Alan---Sorry to hear your sad tale. That was such a beautiful table, glad it arrived safely in it's new incarnation, and that the top wasn't damaged. Thanks for passing this on, I can certainly understand not wanting to have anything further to do with Fed-ex.

Dan

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2005, 7:46 AM
I appreciate your relating the story Alan. Needless to say, Fedex will no longer be on my list of shippers unless the customer is willing to take the risks. I was told somewhat cynically by a friend years ago that insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and generating a profit, not of paying claims and servicing customers. Unfortunately it is mostly ture. It was an expensive lesson for you, but I'm sure you won't make that mistake again.